Obsession: Bikes introduces"Ask Crazy Lou"

Nov. 22, 2006, 1:51 p.m.

Lou - how come you have time to do all this - dont you have some ordering to do or something?

Nov. 23, 2006, 11:33 a.m.

Lou - how come you have time to do all this - dont you have some ordering to do or something?

Aren't you supposed to be working right now?

Keep up the good work LC!

DB

Nov. 23, 2006, 5:28 p.m.

Can the bearings in my Shimano DX clipless pedals (M647) be easily cleaned and regreased? How?

Nov. 26, 2006, 11:46 a.m.

YES they can.

Normal maintenance for these pedals is to CLEAN and OIL the axle from the outside where it meets the resin cage. At the pedals threads there are 2 holes (ports) where the pedal axle meets the resin cage, a little Tri-Flo there keeps the mechanism running smoothly.

At the other end, inside the cage there is an access hole on the plastic cover for the cage spring. Again a little tri flow there is a GOOD thing.

As for servicing the bearings, you need to remove the axle from the pedal.
Older pedals - M636, M646 needed a special tool - Shimano Tool TL-PD40 -
Newer M647 pedals need a deep 20mm socket.

Where the axle of the M647 pedal meets the resin cage, there is a Tighten direction, different on left versus right pedal. Using a 20mm socket, remove the pedal axle by turning opposite the tighten direction. There is a little over 1cm of thread, so dont be worried if it takes a while. You may need a vice and soft-jaws to hold the pedal from spinning….

With the axle out, you can see the TWO ROWS of bearings.

Unless you need to adjust bearing play, all you need to do is clean the bearings, clean the inside of the pedal, squirt some grease into the pedal body, about 1cc of grease (about as big as the tip of your pinky) and reassemble the pedal. Excess grease will be forced out of the pedal body.
Tighten the axle to 12Nm. or DAMN TIGHT.

If the pedal bearings have play, you need to check for busted balls (bearings) or worn cups and cones….
At that point bring the pedals to a shop, I'm thinking obsession:bikes…..

Crazy Lou :evil:

Nov. 26, 2006, 6:11 p.m.

At that point bring the pedals to a shop, I'm thinking obsession:bikes…..

Absolutely! Thanks!

That was way more of an answer I was expecting. Nice work (as always).

Nov. 30, 2006, 9:57 p.m.

does this mean my bike will now go where i steer it? or do i need to replace the headset with a King while i'm at it?

Always add a King headset all bikes need one

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 3, 2006, 12:56 p.m.

I don't know if ALL bikes NEED a King headset…….

and an improperly installed King headset, is no better than a regular headset.

Some issues with King include the fact that is has no split-wedge to compensate for steer tube irregularities and this can lead to headset play which will lead to wear on the upper crown race of the headset. This part is replaceable ($40 retail).

Running the King headset loose, will also do this damage.

I LOVE this headset, dont get me wrong!!!!!
The bearings are surgical stainless, the tolerances are as near perfect as you can get (no such thing as perfect), The colours and finish are the best!

Dec. 3, 2006, 1:20 p.m.

Hey Lou!

If my head were made of veal…which of course it's not…how much would it weigh and what would it be worth?

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 3, 2006, 2:19 p.m.

Hey Lou!

If my head were made of veal…which of course it's not…how much would it weigh and what would it be worth?

….and how long would said head take if it were travelling at a speed of 256kms/hr, took six 15 minute breaks, to go 1362kms? :high:

Dec. 3, 2006, 2:35 p.m.

Hey Lou!

Fifty Four dollars!

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Dec. 3, 2006, 4:11 p.m.

$54 dollars, REALLY….

I was thinking more of $26, because its way past its expiration date!!!!

As for the math, it would take 6 hours, 49 minutes and 13 seconds, assuming constant velocity, no slowing down for the breaks. No acceleration, instant speed.

Your welcome….

Dec. 3, 2006, 9:37 p.m.

How much you charge for sexy times?

-Kenneth

Sober

Dec. 7, 2006, 9:02 p.m.

$54 dollars, REALLY….

I was thinking more of $26, because its way past its expiration date!!!!

I didn't know smoked veal expired

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 7, 2006, 9:26 p.m.

hey lou! I laced myself up a set of xm 819 mavic rims on hadley hubs with dt swiss spokes for last race season.. yada yada… anywho being that i used them for racing i beat the crap outta em, they're holding up pretty well but some of the nipples have gotten kinda round and outta shape… well i bought some new nips for the rim but i seem to have lost what ever tool i had before to put the weird "2nd" nipple the rims use like the deemax to keep the ust deal happining… my question to you is.. this tool is different then the plastic disc used on say.. 03/04 deemax wheels and i havent had any luck finding one that does… can i order one from ogc or what??
edit bicycle cafe answerd thanks for the help anywho!

Dec. 10, 2006, 11:19 p.m.

How much you charge for sexy times?

-Kenneth

wtf? i'd like to know this too. not really. :P

but more i'd still like to know if you think it's ok to put a dc on an enduro. i want a new bike and that setup was always my favourite… but i never got a straight answer.

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!