Obsession: Bikes introduces"Ask Crazy Lou"

Aug. 13, 2011, 6:04 p.m.

I need to buy a new rear wheel, quite possibly a set. I'm looking at the Bontrager sets but I'm not sure of the rear specs. Can you tell me if the rear hubs are 135mm qr? That is what I need, or 135x10 thru axle.

Also do you know the inside rim widths for these? That's not listed either

Rhythm Elite TLR Disc
http://www.bontrager.com/model/07850

Rhythm Comp TLR Disc
http://www.bontrager.com/model/07852

The other wheelset I like is the Sun Chargers. Can I get just a rear or do I have to get both?

Thanks

Aug. 14, 2011, 10:51 p.m.

coolatt, both those wheels are 28H, so I would not recommend them….hard to find replacement rims….

the Sun wheels are 32H. But they come with a Jumping Flea hub, not my favorite….

Check out - the DT Swiss wheels, friggin expensive, but well worth it…
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Wheels/EX-wheels/EXC-1550.aspx

Lou

Crazy Lou :evil:

Aug. 15, 2011, 8:06 a.m.

coolatt, both those wheels are 28H, so I would not recommend them….hard to find replacement rims….

the Sun wheels are 32H. But they come with a Jumping Flea hub, not my favorite….

Check out - the DT Swiss wheels, friggin expensive, but well worth it…
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Wheels/EX-wheels/EXC-1550.aspx

Lou

Dang, nice but expensive. Do you know the internal rim width of the 1550 and 1750? I don't see that listed anywhere.

Can you give me your opinion on these…..?
Stans ZTR Flow wheelset
Hope Hubs with ZTR Flow rim

Aug. 16, 2011, 12:20 a.m.

Stans FLOW rims are their strongest, I like 'em for racing, and if your SMOOTH, they are GREAT RIMS…
If you're a hack, like me, I'd go with something stronger (HEAVIER)….Mavic 521 or 721…
Flow internal Width: 22.6mm

EX1550 internal width: 21.5mm
EX1750 internal width: 21.5mm

I like the Hope hubs, last about 9months to 18months, then pawls/springs and bearings.
DT Swiss hubs - forever!!!!, no pawls. bearings about 2 years…..

Lou

Aug. 22, 2011, 1:02 p.m.

CraigH….
What size do you need?
Specialized Canada still has some Sawpit and BuzzSaw's in stock.
Take me a week to get 'em, but I might be able to help….
Sawpit - 41 to 46 whole sizes
BuzzSaw - 41,42,43,46
also the Trail 110 and Trail 120 shoe….

Thanks Lou, for tracking down the last pair of size 43 Buzzsaw in either Canada or the US.

Aug. 23, 2011, 12:20 a.m.

All in a day's (week's) work….

Aug. 24, 2011, 12:41 a.m.

Lou, when can I get my wheels????

ya I know, busy and all. You build nice wheels, I think Dale might have built better (LOL) but he's in Kelowna now. Damn YAMAHA

Oct. 6, 2011, 12:36 a.m.

PARTY at the RUSTY GULL on THURSDAY!!!! 6 Oct

Danielle Baker, Brett Tippie, a band, PRIZES!!!!!!

Come and have fun!!!

Oct. 7, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

who was, as it was at a party? ;)

Obieg dokumentów w firmie.

Oct. 9, 2011, 9:59 p.m.

Just curious, recently I saw an ad for a bike shop mechanic and it mentioned a certificate was preferred, I had no idea such thing existed. Out of curiosity I looked around the web and found an actual mechanic school in Oregon, go figure. So what can a bike shop mechanic in the lower mainland make? Do many shops require this certificate or degree and does it help you make more?

Oct. 9, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

tough question!!!!! There are 3 (REAL) schools in North America: United Bicycle Institute (Oregon), Barnett Bicycle Institute(Colorado), Winterborne Bikes (Kitchener/Waterloo).

While all of these schools provide training and certification, it is always up to the individual as to how much they learn and how much they WANT to learn. NO three week course can provide all the knowledge you need to work on a modern day bicycle, or even a vintage bike… Suspension(front and rear/Air/Coil), brakes(hydraulic disc, mechanical disk, Hydraulic rim, V-Brake, canti-brakes, sidepull brakes, U-brakes), different headset sizes, different bottom bracket sizes, different BB interface (Cottered, Square, ISIS, Octalink, PowerPro, HollowTech, Howitzer, GXP, BB30, BB90, BB86, X-Type, Ultra-Torque, Press-Fit 30…..). Hell even tire size: a 27" tire is bigger that a 28", 29" and 700c tire.
A 28" tire is the same size as a 29" and a 700c tire.
There are 4 sizes of 26" tires.
3 sizes of 24"tires
2 sizes of 20" tires

And thats the challenge!

I have been at this game for a while.
And my attitude has changed throughout my career (yes CAREER).
I will be surly (fed up at the manufacturers, mostly)
fed up at the consumer, who's knows everything (but doesnt)
I will appear hostile when you need brakepads, but dont know which one you need, especially disc brake pads.You expect me to know, but Specialized puts on an Elixir caliper with a Juicy Lever, and calls it a Juicy 4 brakeset…

SO please, just listen, I WILL, when I ask a question, is not because I am trying to be the smart allek (read:asshole), in the service department…I WANT TO HELP! We all want to help

Anyway, back to the question. No shop that I know of REQUIRES certification, its always a bonus to see it on a resume, but then we expect more! The ability to LEARN, is what I look for. Ya you may know alot, but I have mechanics that have been working for 4 to 8 years, and they know more!!! AND they learn everyday.

You WILL NEVER KNOW everything in this industry, WAY TOO MANY PLAYERS, with WAY TOO MANY ENGINEERS…THEY know the way it SHOULD be, WE, the mechanics, know the way it IS….

Ride ON!!!

Oct. 17, 2011, 12:45 p.m.

Hey Lou,

My '06 Demo 8 has developed a crack. Is it possible to get a crash replacement 2011 Demo 8 through you guys? And what kind of pricing would I be looking at?

Thanks,

James

Oct. 17, 2011, 11:46 p.m.

Hey J.Stubb, are you the original owner? proof of purchase?

Specialized has no official CRASH REPLACMENT policy, but their frames are warrantied for life-time to the original owner….

Call me on Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, whenever you get this….

Lou
obsession:bikes
(604) 985-2213

Nov. 29, 2011, 10:06 p.m.

If yu'all liked the SLASH build….

Wait till you see the Enduro build!!!!!

Feb. 29, 2012, 10:19 p.m.

Check out Tara Llanes interview!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/earlyedition/high-velocity/2012/02/29/tara-llanes/

The girl rocks! Come ride with us…Tara will be the one leading out the group, and taking us off all the sick shit!!!