NEW Chromag Scarab Pedals

March 21, 2013, 6:05 p.m.

Its all in the details…

-customizable pin height
-concave pedal body
-sealed cartridge bearing
-slim profile
-good weight to durability @ 430g per pair.

Steed Cycles
969 Marine Drive
North Vancouver

P. (604) 987-2168
e. [email protected]
w. www.steedcycles.com

March 23, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

Price?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 24, 2013, 4:42 p.m.

Price?

If you have to ask, you can't afford them. ;)

March 24, 2013, 4:49 p.m.

they lookin' chunky

March 24, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

Price?

Around $150 i think.

These pedals are the best designed flat pedals i have ever seen. They are definitely not just another catalog pedal, they deal with several design problems in very imaginative ways and sit firmly at the top of my pedal wish list.

The pins come in from under the pedal - like many - and this supports the pin much better than the 'set screw' style pedals like the Wellgo MG1. The threads have been machined off the pin above the pedal surface however. This means that when you've hit your pins on rocks a few times and go to remove them you don't destroy the threads in the pedal body. Straitline are the other smart pedal company about this.

The pins have washers behind them - like the Shimano MX80s - so you can adjust the height of the pins.

The pedal body has been carefully sculpted away to provide a good concave surface for better grip. This is a downside of most alloy pedals.

Finally the pedal has a cartridge bearing, unlike the Straitlines and the Shimanos, making for easy service, at hopefully not too frequent intervals.

+1 Chromag.

March 25, 2013, 6:40 a.m.

size in mm?

March 25, 2013, 7:40 a.m.

Scarab.
At 110 x 105MM, the Scarab features one of the widest platforms available, yet thanks to the thin profile and chamfered corners, it has great clearance. Our proprietary extrusion and machined design provides an ultra thin true-concave profile that is only 13mm at platform center. Custom traction pins are made of hardened steel and feature two height options via the removable washer. A shear line reduces pedal damage when the pins are struck. Each pedal features 42 placement options for the ultimate customization.

Low profile 13mm at platform center
True concave design
Custom adjustable height pin
42 pin placement options
430g / pair

March 25, 2013, 12:04 p.m.

If I was in the high end pedal market and looking for some bling I'd be all over these.

March 25, 2013, 4:45 p.m.

Almost makes me want to ride flats. Almost.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 26, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

Almost makes me want to ride flats. Almost.

Maybe they will make an SPD with cage type pedal at some point. That would be sweet baby j.

Wrong. Always.

July 15, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

Has anyone logged some hours on these pedals and can provide some feedback?

July 15, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

Agree with what you said but it's hard to beat how easy Straitline pedals are to service, it takes me less then 5 minutes to change the bushings.
One secret about the Strailine is to lube the bushings once in a while, then they last A LOT longer. It takes seriously only 2 minutes and that's drunk.

Around $150 i think.

These pedals are the best designed flat pedals i have ever seen. They are definitely not just another catalog pedal, they deal with several design problems in very imaginative ways and sit firmly at the top of my pedal wish list.

The pins come in from under the pedal - like many - and this supports the pin much better than the 'set screw' style pedals like the Wellgo MG1. The threads have been machined off the pin above the pedal surface however. This means that when you've hit your pins on rocks a few times and go to remove them you don't destroy the threads in the pedal body. Straitline are the other smart pedal company about this.

The pins have washers behind them - like the Shimano MX80s - so you can adjust the height of the pins.

The pedal body has been carefully sculpted away to provide a good concave surface for better grip. This is a downside of most alloy pedals.

Finally the pedal has a cartridge bearing, unlike the Straitlines and the Shimanos, making for easy service, at hopefully not too frequent intervals.

+1 Chromag.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 16, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

Has anyone logged some hours on these pedals and can provide some feedback?

ordered a set thru my local shop but missed the 1st batch currently waiting for Cromag to get the stock back up was told late June early July and i,m still waiting

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 16, 2013, 5:01 p.m.

Agree with what you said but it's hard to beat how easy Straitline pedals are to service, it takes me less then 5 minutes to change the bushings.
One secret about the Strailine is to lube the bushings once in a while, then they last A LOT longer. It takes seriously only 2 minutes and that's drunk.

just about everyone i spoke too who owned or who currently is using their pedals where not very happy with the amount of maintenance require to keep them spinning .

#northsidetrailbuilders