Knolly Delirium Redux

Sept. 12, 2010, 8:16 p.m.

Back at the beginning of the year, we profiled a staff build of the new Delirium.

After a fun season of North Shore use and mild abuse, it has received a new personality - compliments of a little parts makeover and weight loss.

The Verdict: This bike was great before. Now it is better. Way better.

BEFORE: 37.4 lbs

AFTER: 34.02 lbs. A few details below…

- Swapped 2010 Marzocchi 66 RC3Ti for 2011 Fox 36 Float RC2 FIT 180mm
- Swapped Hammerschmidt AM for RaceFace SIXC 2-ring and XT fr der.
- weight loss approximately 3.4 lbs
- Other parts are XO shifters [HTML_REMOVED] rear der, Elixir CR brakes (203/185), Chromag bar and stem, Thomson post, XT clipless, Crossmax SX wheels, King headset.
- Only weight geek 'cheats' are no chainguide and running the non-UST tires tubeless. (they are ~900g each)

Along with looking even better (we think - the white hubs and 36 really work…), this bike now rides unbelievably well - super balanced, noticeably lighter. Feels like a new bike. The new 180mm float feels like it was built for this bike, and is a perfect match for the DHX Air. The bike now climbs like a 160mm bike and descends like a 180mm bike. More reviews on the fork and this build as the hours on it increase. We will be swapping for some new tires and maybe a SIXC bar soon. We think this bike could be built to a very rideable and reasonably durable 33 lbs. Not bad for a 170/180mm bike that climbs and descends unnaturally well.

Selected Component Reviews - long term test.

The bike has been ridden tons this year. Mostly on the shore, always ridden up and sometimes even to the mountain then up. It did a little time in the Whistler Bike park as well.

Marzocchi 66 RC3Ti Absolutely no issues. Plush, predictable, surprisingly tuneable with preload and air assist. Stiff and confidence inspiring, no flex, no fuss no muss. Durability seems to be back for Marzocchi in a big way for these forks. Light for a coil fork at 6.2 lbs with axle. Perhaps a little beefy for the Delirium, but definitely a fork we would recommend.

Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM An excellent V1 product that we hope gets a chance at an improved Version 2. Reliability was excellent with no issues at all - worked as well after 1 year of mud and grime as on day 1. Performance was as advertised, fast shifts in all conditions. lots of clearance for rocks and other hits, very tough when it is hit. Downsides - noise in overdrive, which seemed to worsen over time, despite clean and lube. Also some drag in overdrive, noticeable but not huge. The weight addition was not really noticed when riding but it is there for sure. A lighter and quieter version 2 could be a very appealing product.
(want to try yourself? - this test setup is available at a great deal - contact DB store near you…)

Fire away with questions.

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Sept. 12, 2010, 10:32 p.m.

How tall are you?

Sept. 12, 2010, 11:23 p.m.

How tall are you?

The usual rider is about 5'7". The bike in the picture is a Medium

www.differentbikes.ca

Sept. 14, 2010, 12:48 a.m.

I'm 5'7" with a long torso. I wanna get a delirium for all mountain and light freeride. What size do you recommend?

Sept. 14, 2010, 7:40 a.m.

I'm 5'7" with a long torso. I wanna get a delirium for all mountain and light freeride. What size do you recommend?

There is generous standover on the current delirium edition, so combined with the fact that you want it for some all mountain (climbing) we would say consider the longer top tube of a medium. That said, you are are right on the border range of height between a S and M so personal preference, parts choice and riding style may have you sizing down. We can probably arrange getting complete samples for you to swing a leg over if you are not sure.

www.differentbikes.ca

Sept. 14, 2010, 6:17 p.m.

thanks for the response and offer of assistance. i am always between small and med bikes.

Sept. 14, 2010, 7:20 p.m.

Just to throw a wrench in your estimates I'm 6' and ride a medium with a 50mm stem and a 410 seatpost. It feels perfect for me but I do like my bikes a little small.

Sept. 27, 2010, 12:14 p.m.

This build is 33.66 FYI

Parts include EX500's on Hope hubs with double butted spokes.
Maxxis EXO Tires, rear is tubeless.
Wellgo MG-1's
Race SIXC cranks
Formula One Brakes
Selle Italia SLR XC saddle
Thomson post
Chromag Bar
Fox Talas 160 RLC
XTR cassette
KMC x-9 SL chain
XO shifters
X9 rear derailleur
SLX front drlr
Chromag Ranger Stem

Now I could possibly lose some weight with MAvic Crossmax SX's and a non-ghetto tubeless setup, RP23, lose the front derailleur and shifter (however I use it alot now that I have one), SIXC bar, SLR Ti saddle, X0 drlr.

With those changes I could possibly lose another 1.5 lbs. I would also lose a hell of alot more $$$$$!

Sept. 28, 2010, 9:36 p.m.

You make the statement: "We think this bike could be built to a very rideable and reasonably durable 33 lbs."

1) What's your build to get the weight down to 33 lbs?

2) How big of drops to flats/poor trannies do you think your reasonably durable build could handle with a 200 lb (geared up) rider on it's back (five feet and under)?

I love the idea of a bike that is around 33 lbs that can handle some abuse on the way down, while not abusing me (too much) on the pedal up.

Cheers and thanks!

BTW, really appreciate your writeup. Great job.

Sorry, missed this one when it was initially posted. First of all, we definitely agree that what makes a bike rideable and durable for one rider and set of trails may not work for a bigger or rowdier rider in the same or different areas. And we admit we are gear geeks who spend too much on parts that save only 20 grams at a time, so the cost of getting to 33 may not be worth it to all…
So with that said, the 33 lb build considered would probably work for me and my style of riding, but I weigh ~160lbs geared up and rarely hit anything over a few feet that doesn't have a safe and smooth-ish transition. Mistakes will break or flat burly bikes, so of course some of the weight tradeoffs suggested will increase risk in mistake situations.
So, my getting to 33 plan (which may or may not happen):
- swap chromag bar and stem for Thomson/Sixc combo
- swap XT for XTR cassette (or spare XX cassette if I find one "lying around")
- selle italia SLR Ti saddle from one of my XC rides
- the above get you to 33.6-ish
- the rest is the admitted bigger trade-off - I sometimes run Minion 2.35 foldables rather than the Contis on there now. Approximate weight savinges there is around 150g per tire. Flat risk is up there for sure, although similar to contis, but sidewall flex due to smaller volume is actually lower. I can usually get away with tires like that other than in the bike park.
So - 33-ish lbs, very rideable for me and fairly durable.

But I gotta say even at 34 lbs I am loving the ride of this bike. It climbs well and feels even lighter going downhill.

www.differentbikes.ca

Sept. 29, 2010, 12:25 a.m.

Additionally, you can ditch the front derailleur if you don't need it (i.e. only climbing Fromme) and run a single 32 or 34T front lightweight DH chainring, new 10spd rear cassette with a 36T max cog and MRP MiniG SL chain guide.

www.knollybikes.com
ph: (604) 324-6635
fx: (604) 324-6482