Ask a tech from the Bicycle Cafe

June 20, 2008, 8:11 a.m.

Any new tech questions?

www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops
250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 20, 2008, 8:12 a.m.

Anyone for new tech questions? The season is upon us and people must be fixing things!

250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 24, 2008, 9:37 p.m.

A but of a tech question I guess…..

I know nothing really about singlespeeding a bike. I hate having things go wrong wiht my gears on my stp and am going to go ss. So here's my questions…..

1. How much does the conversion kit cost, and can I buy it at Cafe?
2. Is it possible to choose what cog (size i guess) you can get? My friends bike is ss but super hard to pedal, if possible I want it somehting like the big ring in the front and the 3rd gear (of 8 in the back)

Thanks.

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

June 24, 2008, 11:20 p.m.

A but of a tech question I guess…..

I know nothing really about singlespeeding a bike. I hate having things go wrong wiht my gears on my stp and am going to go ss. So here's my questions…..

1. How much does the conversion kit cost, and can I buy it at Cafe?
2. Is it possible to choose what cog (size i guess) you can get? My friends bike is ss but super hard to pedal, if possible I want it somehting like the big ring in the front and the 3rd gear (of 8 in the back)

Thanks.

Hey K Loops rider!
We have lots of experience single speeding bikes! What kind of a bike are you trying to SS?
Conversion kits vary depending on what you need for what type of bike and drive train. Fill me in on your set up and I can figure it out.
Yes you can decided what gearing you want to run. The cog in the rear has a couple options for sure. I can figure that out too if I know what you are running in your front gearing.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 25, 2008, 1:29 a.m.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding my avid code brakes. The rear setup continues to rub on the rotor from time to time and it's come to my attention that cause it's doing that, it's what's continually glazing the pads. I took the pads out not too long ago, reset the pistons (tried to at least, but not all of them would stick back in their bores) sanded them lightly and cleaned them off by soaking them in rubbing alcohol for about 2 mins, then reinstalled them. Once again they're glazed and squeaking which is such an annoyance… Should I have the brakes bled? I'm really confused on what to do here! btw I don't ride the brakes!!

Thanks

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

June 25, 2008, 11:18 a.m.

[QUOTE=Bicycle Caf

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

June 25, 2008, 9:12 p.m.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding my avid code brakes. The rear setup continues to rub on the rotor from time to time and it's come to my attention that cause it's doing that, it's what's continually glazing the pads. I took the pads out not too long ago, reset the pistons (tried to at least, but not all of them would stick back in their bores) sanded them lightly and cleaned them off by soaking them in rubbing alcohol for about 2 mins, then reinstalled them. Once again they're glazed and squeaking which is suck an annoyance… Should I have the brakes bled? I'm really confused on what to do here! btw I don't ride the brakes!!

Thanks

If it's only from time to time then a bleed could help your problem. I would say bleed could never hurt and may be the best place to start to solve your problem. Aside from that, make sure your alignment is all correct. Prior to the bleed be sure all your pistons are reset properly.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 25, 2008, 9:14 p.m.

The bike is a 2007 Stp1. Right now I'm running the big ring in the front and 8 gears in the back. If you mean you need the brands or anything they are whatever is stock on it.

All you need is a chain tensioning device such as the DMR tensioner which costs $34.99. Then we remove the cassette and install a KK Single speed cog kit (15T or 16T) for $11.99. You can use your exsisting 8 speed chain.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 25, 2008, 9:34 p.m.

My marzocci 888rc2x rattles at the top of the travel when there is no load on it is this normal?

June 25, 2008, 10:16 p.m.

Hey there,

1) i recently got a pike 454 air from a guy in alberta. turns out its a poploc model. I would Much rather prefer the regular compression dial as opposed to the spring loaded poploc model.

I've called bike shops and they said to change it, i'll need to replace the entire right leg motion control cartridge (which they charge $80 for labour - $20)) and replace it with a 'regular' motion control cartridge.

what do you make of this? is there any other way to approach this problem?

Question # 2) The pike model i got has 95-140mm travel and is the 2007 model. .. How can i tell if it is in fact, the solo air uturn model? could you show a picture? because i thought the solo air models have 110-140mm travel

thanks

June 26, 2008, 10:15 a.m.

My marzocci 888rc2x rattles at the top of the travel when there is no load on it is this normal?

It should be the model with the red knobs, these should be preloaded more to eliminate that.
If it's older model let me know and I can advise you on other systems and how to add more preload.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

June 26, 2008, 5:20 p.m.

[QUOTE=Bicycle Caf

July 2, 2008, 5:38 p.m.

Hey there,

1) i recently got a pike 454 air from a guy in alberta. turns out its a poploc model. I would Much rather prefer the regular compression dial as opposed to the spring loaded poploc model.

I've called bike shops and they said to change it, i'll need to replace the entire right leg motion control cartridge (which they charge $80 for labour - $20)) and replace it with a 'regular' motion control cartridge.

what do you make of this? is there any other way to approach this problem?

Question # 2) The pike model i got has 95-140mm travel and is the 2007 model. .. How can i tell if it is in fact, the solo air uturn model? could you show a picture? because i thought the solo air models have 110-140mm travel

thanks

Answers for you.
1) Yes you are going to need to replace the whole cartridge in that model. There is a jerry rig set up to change it but I would recommend that you would be better off just putting in a new cartridge for the money.

2) I agree that the Solo Air should be 110-140 so potentially you are dealing with the coil model. Take it to your local shop and they can figure out what model it is. Check the bottom of your U turn leg for an air fitting. The U turn assemblies are different between an air and coil model.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

July 6, 2008, 8:43 p.m.

hey, my bikes are with you right now and when i brought them in i forgot to mention on my coilair when i x-up and such the rebound/lockout on the right hits the bottom of my frame, if i file it down like a mm or two would that void the warranty on my fork?

WWLMMD?

July 9, 2008, 10:28 p.m.

hiiii

when I am riding at apply light pressure (say slowly stopping on pavement) to my front code 5 brake they seem to pulse as I slow down. I am assuming it is something to do with the pistons needing realligning or something. any tips on how to fix this?