Ask a tech from the Bicycle Cafe

March 31, 2008, 6:44 a.m.

I've got a stock 06 norco six 2. I'm getting a creeking, crunching sound when i pedal. Would it by the cranks or the pedals? The pedals spin freely.

March 31, 2008, 8:43 a.m.

I've got a stock 06 norco six 2. I'm getting a creeking, crunching sound when i pedal. Would it by the cranks or the pedals? The pedals spin freely.

Could it be the bottom bracket? This is a very common place for noises to appear and easy to eliminate as the source. Pull out the bb and check to see the bearings are spinning freely with your fingers. Once that is checked, add lots of bicycle specific grease and plug the bb back in the frame. Hopefully this gets rid of the noise. From there we can keep moving down the line for noises.

www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops
250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 8, 2008, 4:49 p.m.

I bought a 7.87x2 Fox dhx Air 5.0 , but now for some reason it only measures 7 1/4 eye to eye. Do I have to send it in for servicing?

April 9, 2008, 10:47 a.m.

I bought a 7.87x2 Fox dhx Air 5.0 , but now for some reason it only measures 7 1/4 eye to eye. Do I have to send it in for servicing?

Yes it sounds like you have main air seal issue where the air bypasses the main seal and sits on the wrong side. This is easily corrected and can be serviced by your local shop.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 13, 2008, 8:43 p.m.

My Reign X1 is dropping the chain like crazy. I first noticed it about a week or 2 ago. Tonight i wanted to see how badly it dropped the chain so I went out on the road and bunnyhopped over a skateboard. So at about 1 foot off the ground the chain dropped 4/5 times! I do not have a chainguide but this shouldn't be this bad?

What should I do?

http://kamloopsbikes.blogspot.com

April 14, 2008, 1:50 p.m.

My Reign X1 is dropping the chain like crazy. I first noticed it about a week or 2 ago. Tonight i wanted to see how badly it dropped the chain so I went out on the road and bunnyhopped over a skateboard. So at about 1 foot off the ground the chain dropped 4/5 times! I do not have a chainguide but this shouldn't be this bad?

What should I do?

It depends, is it dropping off the little ring to the chain stay? That is usually set screws and derailleur alignment. If it's middle to small ring, try tensioning the front cable. Sometimes cable stretch can cause the derailleur to let the chain drop down. Chain guides are obviously the way to go, but having the front derailleur adjusted properly also makes a huge difference. Also chain line can be an issue, is the bike a stock 07 Reign X? Or have parts been changed?

250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 14, 2008, 5:27 p.m.

Yeah, parts have been changed. I am only running one chainring (the bigger one) so there is no front deraileur. Is this a chain line problem then?

April 14, 2008, 5:59 p.m.

Yeah, parts have been changed. I am only running one chainring (the bigger one) so there is no front deraileur. Is this a chain line problem then?

You are running no chain guide or front derailleur? This is definitely the issue causing your chain to fall off constantly. Even if you aren't using your front derailleur to shift, it's still guiding the chain and keeping it on. I would recommend you put your front derailleur back on or get a chain guide asap. This will save you lots of grief and possibly repair bills if that chain drops and ends up in your wheel.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 14, 2008, 6:37 p.m.

[QUOTE=Bicycle Caf

April 21, 2008, 6:25 p.m.

is it possible to get an adaptor for a small isgc to a larger one?

April 22, 2008, 1:31 p.m.

is it possible to get an adaptor for a small isgc to a larger one?

So you have a chain guide for the old ISCG standard and you are trying to put it on a ISCG 05 mount on a newer bike?

250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 22, 2008, 7:13 p.m.

No, my bike is set up for old ISCG but can I get an adaptor to make it compatible with an ISCG 05 guide? or do I need to swap the plate or just get a whole new guide?

April 23, 2008, 6:03 a.m.

No, my bike is set up for old ISCG but can I get an adaptor to make it compatible with an ISCG 05 guide? or do I need to swap the plate or just get a whole new guide?

No you can adapt it. I even noticed a couple new 08 bikes came with an adapter to use a new ISGC 05 style guide on the smaller old ISCG standard frames.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

April 27, 2008, 9:59 p.m.

I will try to describe this- When I squeeze the levers on my formula brakes the lever does not return back to its original position after releasing the brakes- the only way to get it back is to physically push it back. The brake is not engaged completely after the lever is released but there is still some drag on the pads. Any ideas on where to start to fix this??

Thanks

April 28, 2008, 12:21 p.m.

I will try to describe this- When I squeeze the levers on my formula brakes the lever does not return back to its original position after releasing the brakes- the only way to get it back is to physically push it back. The brake is not engaged completely after the lever is released but there is still some drag on the pads. Any ideas on where to start to fix this??

Thanks

Is this a hydraulic brake? If so it sounds like your piston is sticking inside your master cylinder. If you are comfortable with working on disc brakes then you could try pulling it apart and cleaning it or possibly replacing the piston to fix it. You could try just a bleed but it probably needs more then that.
If you are not comfortable or don't have the proper tools, take it to your local shop.

250-828- BIKE (2453)