Ask a tech from the Bicycle Cafe

Nov. 13, 2006, 12:12 p.m.

The idea for this thread is an opportunity for board members to post technical questions for the Bicycle Cafe to answer. So post your your well thought out technical questions for the techs from Bicycle Cafe to answer.
Please ask mechnical or technical questions (example " I have a Fox 40, can I reduce the travel and how?") Please avoid questions based on opinions or pricing questions (Example "Which is better a Devinci or a Giant?" or "how much does a 07 Rockshox Totem cost?")
This way board members can get advice from the Bicycle Cafe shop mechanics and help with their gear from solid sources. All other responses from other board members will be deleted.

www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops
250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 13, 2006, 12:29 p.m.

When will Avid Code brakes be available?

What do the brake pads look like? I've heard they're different from the BB7/Juicy 7 standard design.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Nov. 13, 2006, 12:55 p.m.

Avid Codes are already available.
The brake pads are different as they are a four piston brake. Here is a link to the Avid code page where you can check out the Codes.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 13, 2006, 3:08 p.m.

Great topic! Here are 2 things that I

Nov. 13, 2006, 3:24 p.m.

1) Here is the tech manual for the 2006 Pike forks. It's a combo manual but it has a table of contents so I hope it has the answers you need. It has schematics and if you get stuck and need more specifics just ask.
2) Deemax's are great wheels. Under heavy side load however the spokes can pop out of the hub flange and possibly cause damage. A special spoke key is required but should come with the wheels. Maintaining good spoke tension is always important on any wheel. The hub life is very good on Deemax's but the Dt 440s and Hope hubs are also of excellent quality.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 13, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

what happened to the ramp outside your shop?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Nov. 13, 2006, 7:21 p.m.

A very good technical question.

I think you are talking about this ramp?

We still have it. It's currently on loan to team rider Graham Agassiz. Apparenlty he is going to try to learn a trick.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 14, 2006, 2:03 p.m.

I've heard the right suspension set up is such that it generally bottoms out once a ride. Is that correct? Could this cause the shock mounts on the frame to crack?

Thanks.

Nov. 14, 2006, 2:13 p.m.

Suspension setup is a fairly complex topic. It is true that you should be using all your travel on your biggest hit but it should be cushioning the blow so that you feel like it's helping. Shocks today are very adjustable for the progressiveness of the travel and the bottoming out characteristics of the shock help you set it so you are able to feel the benefits of your suspension on the high speed small bumps and then it ramps up to take big hits.
It is possible to do damage to your shock mounts if you are taking huge hits and your shock is bottoming out hard. For example, drops to flat or dansitions, where your shock is able to go through it's travel and it's bottom out bumper very quickly.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 14, 2006, 10:15 p.m.

Two Questions

1. My 03 Junior T bottoms out way too much. Im 5'6, about 120. I feel I should add some oil. So regarding oil, what would happen if i just threw some air tool oil in there ?

2. After a recent bail, i popped the piston out of the top of my hayes lever(ball end,pushes at the top of the hose) and than i put it back. It works, but there is lots of play. Why is this, and how can i fix it ?

Nov. 14, 2006, 10:41 p.m.

can 02 shiver dc use 888 seals? same stanchions diameter… what other parts are interchangeable?

Nov. 15, 2006, 9:59 a.m.

can 02 shiver dc use 888 seals? same stanchions diameter… what other parts are interchangeable?

Yes they sure can use the same seals. They are the same seal kits but no other parts are interchangable.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 15, 2006, 10:12 a.m.

Two Questions

1. My 03 Junior T bottoms out way too much. Im 5'6, about 120. I feel I should add some oil. So regarding oil, what would happen if i just threw some air tool oil in there ?

2. After a recent bail, i popped the piston out of the top of my hayes lever(ball end,pushes at the top of the hose) and than i put it back. It works, but there is lots of play. Why is this, and how can i fix it ?

1. Adding oil isn't going to solve bottoming out issues. Do not use any fluid other than fork oil. Please be sure your oil height is correct here. To solve issues with bottoming out you should look at upgrading to heavier springs if you have the stock springs. Although you are light those forks tended to be undersprung for agressive riders. There are two sets of springs on your fork so you could change out only one set of springs to get a slightly heavier feel. When you upgrade to heavier springs replacing your fork oil with a heavier weight can help control rebound better as this fork has no external adjustements.

2. Replacing your washer and the snap ring which retain your pushrod will fix your play. If no fluid has leaked out you should be able to replace these parts with fresh ones without needing to rebleed the brake.

250-828- BIKE (2453)

Nov. 15, 2006, 5:39 p.m.

[QUOTE=Bicycle Caf

2008 Stinky air $2500
please buy me.
email is: g_agassiz@hotmail

Kona
Sombrio
Nike 6.0
Smith optics
Marzocchi
Shimano
Giro

Nov. 15, 2006, 8:05 p.m.

I'm using Avid BB5 brakes, and when I take the pads out to clean, I can't figure out for sure which is the left or right pad. The manual says that one side is blue while the other side is black, but both my pads are red :D Any idea which is which, or does it make a difference?

I've looked at BB5 replacement pads at some stores, and some of them are blue/black while others are red/red. I think the new batches are red/red.