26in wheels could soon be dead for trail riding, say bike industry bigwigs

Oct. 9, 2012, 2:20 p.m.

ps. that ham sammie comment above makes me larf out loud.
:love:

it was a pretty good hit wasnt it..

/snikker:agree:

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:14 p.m.

ftr : im just jokin around w mark here.. i was the closest one standing near ground zero of the hamshammie when it exploded into mouths .. as a 20+ yr vegetarian yes im still feeln kinda queasy!! i paid that kid aaron my 20$ right away. he was pure loco and not to be welched on…

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

in fact i almost just puked thinkn about aaron taking that second bite… :(

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:36 p.m.

But at any given psi wouldn't the contact patch of a tire with a bigger diameter in fact be longer?

Just playin devils advocate, sir. I've got a 26er. But in my limited 29er experience they sure roll fast on non-technical stuff.

Yes longer and narrower. Like I said different shape, same area. High school physics.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 9, 2012, 3:39 p.m.

The crew here at Steed Cycles have been continually debating the transition/trend from 26" to 27.5" to 29" wheels for trail and all mountain bikes. Obviously, the debate has been heated and never ending…

27.5" is not 650b and I highly doubt it will replace 26". It seems that companies that missed out on 29ers or who did them poorly are jumping on the 650b bandwagon.

:canada:

Oct. 9, 2012, 4:48 p.m.

Yes longer and narrower. Like I said different shape, same area. High school physics.

OK, I hear ya. And I agree. But why do 29ers apparently have better traction whilst climbing? Or do they? Have they been lying to me?

In my limited 29er experience I didn't feel much greater traction climbing but I was climbing in dry, loose and steep desert. So it was hard to compare to my usual experiences anyway.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 9, 2012, 4:52 p.m.

it was a pretty good hit wasnt it..

/snikker:agree:

meh, that comment is played out just like an ugly lincoln hot rod.

BOOM!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 9, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

27.5" is not 650b and I highly doubt it will replace 26". It seems that companies that missed out on 29ers or who did them poorly are jumping on the 650b bandwagon.

[serious post]

so having spent plenty of time on the 29'er thing and being a fan of it's capabilites, do you think 650b might bridge the gap between the current crop of 29'ers and 26" dh bikes? if that happens is the 26" mtb dead in all formats?

[/serious post]

chunder rules!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 9, 2012, 4:59 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgyN37_U-I

Oct. 9, 2012, 6:12 p.m.

meh, that comment is played out just like an ugly lincoln hot rod.

BOOM!

LOL i'll give you till next summer to take that back sir.. after that its all bets are off.

:speakenglish:

Oct. 9, 2012, 6:28 p.m.

Naah. Thats just the Specialized propaganda you've sucked up.

The only guy who has done real 26" v 650b v 29" testing won every World Cup XC race he entered this year with 650b wheels.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 9, 2012, 6:56 p.m.

29er won the Olympics but that's beside the point. The 650b or 29er isn't going to corner as well as the 26" wheel and that is the biggest factor in DH imo as well as a higher cg. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out but right now I think it might be a niche market until the major players really endorse it.

:canada:

Oct. 9, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

Yes this is true but only in the perfect grade school physics world (perfect tire on a perfectly smooth surface). This is mostly but not entirely true in the real world where other variables come into play (like knob shape, knob size, casing construction, tire compound, …).

Even more importantly you will get different edges of the knobs in contact depending on the length, width and shape of the contact patch so different wheel sizes feel different even with exactly the same tread pattern.

Oct. 10, 2012, 12:50 a.m.

29er won the Olympics but that's beside the point.

Because it was in a field in Essex.

That video 26 v 29 just makes me mad. Let see him go through a world cup rock garden.

If you want to make your ride easier then go for 650. At least they look fairly good.

Oct. 10, 2012, 9:18 a.m.

Yes this is true but only in the perfect grade school physics world (perfect tire on a perfectly smooth surface). This is mostly but not entirely true in the real world where other variables come into play (like knob shape, knob size, casing construction, tire compound, …).

Even more importantly you will get different edges of the knobs in contact depending on the length, width and shape of the contact patch so different wheel sizes feel different even with exactly the same tread pattern.

Yeah I think that is correct. You will get a different knob pattern contact with different diameters of the same tire. I think that part of the better traction has to do with needing less because the larger diameter wheels roll over stuff more easily. I would bet that traction is the same on a smooth surface where the better rolling ability of a big wheel is eliminated.

Did motocross ever go through wheel size issues?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.