26in wheels could soon be dead for trail riding, say bike industry bigwigs

Oct. 8, 2012, 4:45 p.m.

The crew here at Steed Cycles have been continually debating the transition/trend from 26" to 27.5" to 29" wheels for trail and all mountain bikes. Obviously, the debate has been heated and never ending…

The video below popped up a couple of days ago and threw a bit more fuel on the fire. Additionally, Logan Bingelli just finished 3rd at Red Bull Rampage this past weekend on a 650b DH bike. And the plot thickens!

Take a look at the video here and let us know what you think:
http://steedcycles.com/26in-wheels-could-soon-be-dead-for-trail-riding-say-bike-industry-bigwigs/

Steed Cycles
969 Marine Drive
North Vancouver

P. (604) 987-2168
e. [email protected]
w. www.steedcycles.com

Oct. 9, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

not until they figure a way for the 29" wheel to not make a bike look so dam goofy in anything other then a Large sized frame.

NO sale.

29" on a medium or smaller makes it look like a circus bike, haahah

Oct. 9, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

not until they figure a way for the 29" wheel to not make a bike look so dam goofy in anything other then a Large sized frame.

NO sale.

29" on a medium or smaller makes it look like a circus bike, haahah

You mean A Clown bike in A circus

Oct. 9, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

You mean A Clown bike in A circus

yes exactly.

que carny music here.

Oct. 9, 2012, 10:05 a.m.

Why don't they change something that will have significant results,like seat rail clamping dimensions or shifter cable diameter?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 9, 2012, 10:53 a.m.

personally loving riding my 94 hei hei w 26" whls. just built it back up last week and it rides great.

i think some of this is just marketing guys who want to sell more bikes to people who already own several and science guys who want to prove bees cant fly…..

Oct. 9, 2012, 11:08 a.m.

i think some of this is just marketing guys who want to sell more bikes to people who already own several and science guys who want to prove bees cant fly…..

and trail builder guys who say wood structures are all played out…

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 9, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

personally loving riding my 94 hei hei w 26" whls. just built it back up last week and it rides great.

The bike industry seems to have fun confused with performance. 26" will never die.

Oct. 9, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

So if my Hans Dampf 2.35 tires measure 27" on Easton Haven wheels, the 650b variant is going to be a big combo! But how much more actual contact patch is there with big volume 26" compared to the current 650b tires out there? Rolling momentum, sure! My HD tires both are about 840 grams actual, so the 650b version surely are going to be heavier. Better momentum, no sht! Bigger and heavier, a tried and true method of rolling faster…downhill. I'm not talking about pinner light 29" wheels, which do ride/roll fast on all terrain, but I'm just curious on the actual advantage weight for weight*, of a large volume 26", and a 650b.

Looking forward to trying them on my Mojo though;-)

Oct. 9, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

and trail builder guys who say wood structures are all played out…

yawn,,,,, im just talking from a management point of view….

do you read what people write?

go pull another ham sammie outta your butt pocket and build another wall ride…:rave:

Oct. 9, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

So if my Hans Dampf 2.35 tires measure 27" on Easton Haven wheels, the 650b variant is going to be a big combo! But how much more actual contact patch is there with big volume 26" compared to the current 650b tires out there?

Contact patch for any tire no matter how large in diameter or how wide is determined by psi and tire construction and weight on that tire. Shape differs but not size.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 9, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

Contact patch for any tire no matter how large in diameter or how wide is determined by psi and tire construction and weight on that tire. Shape differs but not size.

But at any given psi wouldn't the contact patch of a tire with a bigger diameter in fact be longer?

Just playin devils advocate, sir. I've got a 26er. But in my limited 29er experience they sure roll fast on non-technical stuff.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 9, 2012, 1:53 p.m.

go pull another ham sammie outta your butt pocket and build another wall ride…:rave:

I'd like to see that one. ;)

It does not matter what some industry guys try sell me/us/the general public. Advertisement does work in a strange way - the more you tell people what they need, the more are they eventually willing to spend their money on it.

But then again, could not care less, big wheels for commuting, "small" wheels for riding in the forest. Seriously, are there people who care about such stuff, besides Buster Bluth?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 9, 2012, 1:55 p.m.

http://youtu.be/qVj-yD0SEUk

Oct. 9, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

But then again, could not care less, big wheels for commuting, "small" wheels for riding in the forest. Seriously, are there people who care about such stuff, besides Buster Bluth?

There must be. I've made a serious effort in posting less about this sort of nonsense yet the stuff still comes up everywhere.

ps. that ham sammie comment above makes me larf out loud.
:love:

Wrong. Always.