Stolen Santa Cruze Nomad Carbon near Grandville island

May 7, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

Got the bike back today , my friends saw it at Fromme and called me ,turns out the guy bought it on Craig's list . I really have to say that Craig's list is a pretty evil site for stolen shit and offers full anonymity for a seller so always check the Serial# when buying a bike off that site and that 529 garage vpd app . The guy said the seller even had a fake receipt printed up saying he bought it from Steed .

Also I learned that cable locks are complete shit !

Thanks

Tyler

May 7, 2016, 2:56 p.m.

yay!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 7, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

Myself and TheDon take full credit for spotting it :). Use a chain next time asshole haha.

May 7, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

Rule #1… Don't get the fuck between Tmack and I and a stolen bike.

May 7, 2016, 3:31 p.m.

Myself and TheDon take full credit for spotting it :). Use a chain next time asshole haha.

Nice work Tyler and Don !
That's super rad , I can only imagine the awkward conversation with the numpty that bought a $1500 nomad …….
Bike thieves suck , CL sucks too

May 7, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

Got the bike back today , my friends saw it at Fromme and called me ,turns out the guy bought it on Craig's list . I really have to say that Craig's list is a pretty evil site for stolen shit and offers full anonymity for a seller so always check the Serial# when buying a bike off that site and that 529 garage vpd app . The guy said the seller even had a fake receipt printed up saying he bought it from Steed .

Also I learned that cable locks are complete shit !

Thanks

Tyler

Congrats on getting your bike back !

Time for some new locks

May 7, 2016, 3:40 p.m.

always interested to hear what happens to the buyer in this situations. He is jsut out of whatever cash he put up, cause that would also suck.

May 7, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

I gave him the 500$ reward I had up on 529 but seriously buying a 8k bike for 1500$ and not even asking about serial numbers and stuff is pretty slack of the guy . He was nice enough and is out 1000$ and a lesson learned but I mean I was out 8k and I didn't really even need to give him the reward money but did anyways .

Lessons learned ;

Craig's list sucks

Cable locks suck

Vpd are pretty much useless in these situations and give you attitude when you tell them where your bike is if you find it so expect to pretty much need to have sheer luck and people seeing your posts etc to find it again .

May 7, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

I gave him the 500$ reward I had up on 529 but seriously buying a 8k bike for 1500$ and not even asking about serial numbers and stuff is pretty slack of the guy . He was nice enough and is out 1000$ and a lesson learned but I mean I was out 8k and I didn't really even need to give him the reward money but did anyways .

Lessons learned ;

Craig's list sucks

Cable locks suck

Vpd are pretty much useless in these situations and give you attitude when you tell them where your bike is if you find it so expect to pretty much need to have sheer luck and people seeing your posts etc to find it again .

big credit to you for giving the guy the reward money to lessen his loss and great to hear you got your bike back.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 11, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

big credit to you for giving the guy the reward money to lessen his loss and great to hear you got your bike back.

So what's the actual law on this scenario - person unknowingly buys stolen property and the original owner finds this person, etc. etc. Obviously the original owner is entitled to his bike that he rightfully owns, but what options does the unknowing buyer have? Do they file a police report saying that someone fraudulently sold them stolen property and essentially stole $1,500 from them? Is there any way they could realistically get their money back? Does insurance help out in this scenario at all?

Sounds like an awkward situation to be in for both the buyer and the original owner…

May 11, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

The unwitting buyer of stolen goods is screwed in the eyes of the law. If caught with proven stolen goods (s/n matches a stolen police report), the goods are confiscated and returned to the owner.

The good news is they can't be charged with possession of stolen goods unless the police witnesses the theft.

Don't ask how I know this.

May 11, 2016, 1:45 p.m.

Insurance. Ha ha. That's funny.

May 11, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

To protect yourself when buying used:

Copy of sellers drivers license
Copy of original bill of sale
Copy of utility bill proving sellers address
Serial number check with VPD
Meet at sellers address or at the police station
Certified cheque payment in sellers name

No sale to me if you won't meet at least 4/6 of that list.