Reign X1 2007 stolen today.

April 12, 2010, 11:41 a.m.

I noted the date, but again - if the thieves know what they are stealing - why not post it up for sale a few days early? Regardless, the bike in the ad is most likely stolen.

True, but without knowing who the true owner is, these are just suspicions… coppers won't even lift a finger.

April 12, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

yeah they definatly wont do anything until after the fact. But if the op can give serial info, I can (or if anyone else gets a meet could) take a look. I hate this kind of shit, and would be happy to hold onto the bike if it could be proven to be the op's. Obviously I'm not going to try and jack a bike ,or hold it until I called the cops, unless I could get a more specific way to identify this particular one.

April 12, 2010, 12:02 p.m.

yeah they definatly wont do anything until after the fact. But if the op can give serial info, I can (or if anyone else gets a meet could) take a look. I hate this kind of shit, and would be happy to hold onto the bike if it could be proven to be the op's. Obviously I'm not going to try and jack a bike ,or hold it until I called the cops, unless I could get a more specific way to identify this particular one.

This was posted earlier than my brother's bike was actually stolen, and some of the parts, if accurate, are off. However the ad seems wrong and if it belongs to someone out there all the power to you. I believe Silvernaut has the serial # info if you do get a hold of it.

April 12, 2010, 12:06 p.m.

Hey guys, man you are all SO awesome for the support. I love this community! So yeah, I saw that craigslist ad and actually came on here to post it since it definitely looked a little more then suspicious. I wish it was mine, but yeah, it was posted like 3 days before my bike was swiped and it was only the second time I took my Reign to work in over 6 months, so I highly doubt they somehow KNEW I was going to have it there that night, and the specs don't match up entirely. Still, NO one can be sure I suppose. Did anyone else lose a reign? heh.

Still in attempt to get the serial # btw…
Lesson learned on that one…

April 12, 2010, 7:19 p.m.

yeah thats why I email'ed the guy. I havent heard back from him yet but if I do I'll let you know. I woudnt have a chance to see it till after 5. so if 1 or two other people want to try for a quicker meet, have at it. I just think only a few should reply so he doesnt have 50 emails in his in box.

if I get a email/call back I'll need some kind of bike id, any easy way to identify this thing? even could check for a serial while checking out the bike.

edit: just saw about the post date thing, but if it helps someone have piece of mind, would still be willing to head out and take a look at it if the guy gets back to me.

let me know if you do, and pm me his email address, I email a guy on CL a couple months ago he was selling a couple bikes, nice ones really cheap, and I want to see if it is the same guy. I suspected him to be a thief, and if its the same email addy, it pretty much proves me he is. WHy else would someone sell a bike of this nature so cheap?

April 12, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

if you are going inside Mec, take your bike with you. they won't say anything. i take my bike in with me as much as possible, most places won't complain too much as long as you are careful and there's a place to leave it out of the way of other customers.

shitty to hear about the loss. and i even thought perhaps those lockers were a good idea! bs

April 12, 2010, 9:21 p.m.

Update:
Okay I've finally got the serial # of my Reign, a picture, and a few things to look for on its otherwise Van body. I'm so happy I found these…will potentially make things much easier.

Giant Reign X1 2007 Medium frame

-It has more RF Atlas on it than is normally stock.
-On the LH side of the seat post there[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s a scrape against the frame that they painted over. It was from when the pivot broke on that side and the triangle rubbed against the frame. When they repaired it they painted the frame. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s not that obvious unless you actually look for it.
-The seat tube has a silver reducer in it. It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s actually a smaller diameter and they needed to put a spacer in there.

April 12, 2010, 9:22 p.m.

And on a couple other things from this post that I can say:

-That CL ad does look too suspicious to me. I've been mulling over it all day today while I was at work. Now that I have the serial, it makes me really want to look into it at this point. Even though the date is not right and some things are different, you guys are right…these things are easily changed around. A friend of mine was telling me that he's seen this guy before lurking around on there with the same style of copy and paste method and stupid cheap prices on obviously expensive items.

-Swinefeaster is absolutely right. If any of you have a bike when you come to the store, bring it in. We'll always encourage you to and have no problems with it since most of us are riders ourselves. We'd rather have your bikes safe inside where we can watch them for you while you shop then have them outside. And besides, at least in my case…it gives some of us a chance to ogle over your fine machines as well…:P

Cheers everyone, and thanks for the all the support. It dulls the rage.

April 13, 2010, 8:20 a.m.

definitely check out the cl ad. i had a story in here somewhere wehre my friends specialized was stolen and that same evening it was posted on cl. the guy swapped the front brakes (but did not install them. just attached it with twist ties) and changed the wheels and seat.

long story short, the serial number and details helped for the take down. busted the guy who apparently is well known to the police.

good luck man.