Whistler during the olympics

Feb. 16, 2010, 8:02 a.m.

Got busted not rolling down the windows at about 140 on the biggest air at Deer Valley….didnt really catch if he broke his back,but he came back a year later and nailed it for first.

i think i heard he basically crushed his entire face in. as well as breaking some bones. stayed 3 weeks in the hospital in the US, tben in and out of hospital for about 3 months in Oslo.

Feb. 16, 2010, 9:13 p.m.

Video of a few of the guys

https://vimeo.com/9535372

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 16, 2010, 9:36 p.m.

I know that filming spot. You didn't see a Black Bear there did you?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 16, 2010, 9:50 p.m.

I just dirt-bagged it up there for 6 days. these 6 days included:
-best day on whistler ever
-awesome mens dh race
-fun olympic vibe in the village

pics and vids to follow as soon as my body can sit at the puter long enough to deal with all this stuff. my body is not used to 5 inbounds days in a row where the longest lineup was 8 groups ahead of me…

Feb. 16, 2010, 10:11 p.m.

I just dirt-bagged it up there for 6 days. these 6 days included:
-best day on whistler ever
-awesome mens dh race
-fun olympic vibe in the village

pics and vids to follow as soon as my body can sit at the puter long enough to deal with all this stuff. my body is not used to 5 inbounds days in a row where the longest lineup was 8 groups ahead of me…

did i see you guys riding down the grey zone today ? around noon-ish?

Feb. 17, 2010, 11:39 a.m.

really awesome how you guys are right there in the thick of it!
I was heartbroken when I was kid in Colorado and the voters shot down the bid to host the '76 winter games.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Feb. 17, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

did i see you guys riding down the grey zone today ? around noon-ish?

yah that was probably us. I think I crashed at the bottom.

Feb. 17, 2010, 10:14 p.m.

Today was the best day of 2010 yet. Woke up early to 7cm fresh, headed up Whistler and caught the Ladies Downhill - yay Britt Janyk! Then headed into the village for my volunteer shift. The wife meanwhile headed to the patio at Citta's where she sat for 3 hours. When I got off vollie'ing, she was front row with seats waiting for the Barenaked Ladies concert. Then, they showed the Van/Whis Medal ceremonies on the big screen in Village Square followed by a walk over to the Celebration Plaza to watch Our Lady Peace.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 18, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

I have to admit, I had been planning to GTFO of vancouver/whistler during the olympics because I thought it would be super busy and I'm not exactly a crowds person. However, plans to head north to Stewart BC fell through because of the severe lack of snow up there this year, and the snow is just too good in the BC south coast right now to leave. Damn am I ever glad that happened…I dirt-bagged it in whistler for 6 days and had the time of my life!

Video of first 4 days mixed together:
https://vimeo.com/9554960

Day 1: My first plan was to tour into Russet Hut and spend 3 or 4 nights out there because it's probably the only free accommodations in whistler right now. That plan got changed through as the storms started lining up straight at whistler creating a white out. So LeeLau and I wandered around trying to walk in a straight line and gave up and turned back. The problem was that I had nowhere to stay…

I cooked dinner in some bushes near the village bus loop (ultra dirtbag) and tried to find a place to stay. Luckily I crashed with a friend in pemby and survived night 1.

Day 2: The storm that ruined my hut plans dumped about 35cm in the alpine, and left sunshine in the morning. I was on the lift at 815am and didn't stop riding until 3pm…no lunch break. This was the most unbelievable day I have ever had on whistler. The longest lineup was 8 chairs…unheard of for a whistler pow day. faceshot after faceshot after untracked run…stupid awesome.

That night I dirtbagged it in the back of a buddy's van…classy.

Day 3: Another storm rolled in over night for another 15cm in the alpine. The Men's DH race was cancelled for sharon bailed on volunteering and I rode with her, Leelau and their roomate gunnar from sweeden! Lee let me sleep on his couch that night, finally i got a shower! Photos are by Lee

Tyler Wilkes, gold medal for slaying pow all day:

Fire and Ice show:

Day 4: another 25cm+ overnight with sun in the morning. un-effing-believable. Slept on lee's couch again

Day 5: I was joined by my girlfriend Jess for today, and it was cold and sunny so the Men's DH ski race finally went. We went up and watched that which was absolutely amazing. Those guys are scary fast, TV does not do it justice. We cruised the afternoon on blackcomb and spent the night at her friend's house in black tusk. DH Pics and video by me:
https://vimeo.com/9556001

some cruising:
https://vimeo.com/9556467

Day 6: my back was too destroyed to actually snowboard so I just watched canada dominate womens snowboard X on the big screens in the village and caught a bus back to vancouver in the afternoon. the end to an amazing trip.

Showing our canadian olympic spirit with my lame mittens:

Jess and I dirt-bagging it:

So in the end, being at the olympics was a really cool experience. The lifts were EMPTY, and I slayed more inbounds pow than I ever thought possible at whistler. The cultural experience in the village were awesome, the nightlife was great and tons of free concerts and stuff to check out. Now I'm trying to let back back recover so I can go spend 4 days doing the spearhead bagging peaks in the sunshine forecast for the next 5 days. More to follow after that.

Feb. 18, 2010, 11:23 a.m.

living large wilkes nice work.

Feb. 18, 2010, 11:41 a.m.

Tuesday was one of the best days i think I've ever had on Whistler. Non-stop hucking all day with no one around!

Feb. 18, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

The Snow makes for shitty racing ,if its pucking snow I have to work harder , its hard to get an event off and even if I have a scheduled day off its canceled

Apparently there have been some epic in bounds days because there is nobody up here skiing

today was great ,I only had to get up at 4:30am instead of 1:30am ,because there was no snow last night there was almost zero work …just fix where that girl went thru all the B-nets … so we just watched the DH and then the slalom for the combined and I was having a beer in my shorts on the sundeck by 2pm .

tomorrow will be an even later start … for a change I am praying for NO SNOW !

Feb. 19, 2010, 2:42 p.m.

Looks like you can reserve day parking now:

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/olympics/parking/index.htm?crmcontact=2486466[HTML_REMOVED]crmnws=CRM_WB_NOP_03_E1_100219

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

Feb. 19, 2010, 3:57 p.m.

another blue bird day its like spring skiing,today was a freeski on the womans course in prep for the super G so no cameras … so we could climb up on the camera platforms and watch both the free ski and the mens super G

after getting all fucked up last night at a team dinner it was nice to just plant a few nets and fuck the dog a bit,racing sure is easier in good weather it is so hot that after I shut this thing down I am going to go have a beer on the deck in just my shorts

womens super G goes tomorrow SO another early start

Feb. 19, 2010, 5:55 p.m.

Thanks for doing what you do, without it we wouldn't have fun races to watch
Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca