Whistler during the olympics

Feb. 14, 2010, 8:35 p.m.

We had a great day on Blackcomb today. Lots of fresh snow, light up high [HTML_REMOVED] heavy down low. Skiing Ruby bowl was simply terrific. Busier on the mountain than I thought it would be. Not super-busy, but still a pretty decent number of people.

Lee, were you up today? I thought I saw you at one point.

They just stated on the TV that it's looking good for tomorrows DH. Anyone confirm this?

I just don't trust the CTV Talking Heads when it comes to this.

Last night it rained all night in Whistler. It was raining when we went to bed, and it was still raining in the morning, when it thankfully stopped. It would have rained on the downhill course all night. Skiing out, the conditions down low were like a slurpy.

Like you, I saw on the TV that they were stripping the top layer off the downhill course. Taking off all the slush [HTML_REMOVED] leaving behind the harder base below. Seems a reasonable idea provided the weather's cool enough to harden that base, and not turn it into slush as well. The forecast is for below-zero at nights, and slightly above zero during the day. So it'll probably work out OK would be my guess.

Feb. 14, 2010, 9:39 p.m.

W

Like you, I saw on the TV that they were stripping the top layer off the downhill course. Taking off all the slush [HTML_REMOVED] leaving behind the harder base below. Seems a reasonable idea provided the weather's cool enough to harden that base, and not turn it into slush as well. The forecast is for below-zero at nights, and slightly above zero during the day. So it'll probably work out OK would be my guess.

It will especially with all the fertilizer they have probably been adding.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 14, 2010, 10:05 p.m.

It was getting cold in the village. Vid from today

https://vimeo.com/9456498

Feb. 14, 2010, 10:14 p.m.

Thanks Lee.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 14, 2010, 10:32 p.m.

Went to the village in the evening - it looks really good. Lots of happy people. Good family type of atmosphere. Cops kind of lost in the crowd.

Wilkes gets in the spirit

Awards plaza - biathlon medals getting awarded

Main drag is really well decorated - non-existent traffic

Skiers Plaza - big screen tv to show events and the Sardis High School Band putting on quite the show

Fire and Ice is a cultural thing put on the muni; DJ's, hula hoop girls and skiers jumping through the Olympic rings. These are taken during the pre-event when the skiers are setting up

Feb. 15, 2010, 7:47 a.m.

skiing yesterday was simply fantastic! cold and clear this morning, going to watch the downhill on the mtn, hopefully get a few pictors…

Feb. 15, 2010, 1:54 p.m.

On snow at 4am ,I could see both the womens training and the men's race DH from where I was sitting in a snow bank at treeline

I hope the race is on the tube somewhere cuz I fell asleep

we got a DH event done and I am finally off after 11 days straight

Feb. 15, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

On snow at 4am ,I could see both the womens training and the men's race DH from where I was sitting in a snow bank at treeline

I hope the race is on the tube somewhere cuz I fell asleep

we got a DH event done and I am finally off after 11 days straight

Get some well deserved rest.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 15, 2010, 9:42 p.m.

After much hard work by the course crew and slippers and a fortunate drop in temperature and break in the weather the Men's Downhill was ON!

All hands were on deck this day!

Me at the waterfall waiting for the start. The crowds start to build

Bronze Medalist - Bode Miller

Top Canadian Erik Guay

The skiers who tackled the bottom of the course well made the best time. The snow lower down got warmer, slower and more challenging.

Looking down the Dave Murray

The Olympic Champions;
Aksel Lund Svindal - Didier Defago - Bode Miller

The flame in Whistler.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 15, 2010, 9:49 p.m.

Stoked for the medal for Bode….and I just finished watching a documentary about Svindal and his crash a few years back….good on him too,,,didn't even know he had won.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 15, 2010, 9:51 p.m.

Having such a wicked time in Whistler. The vibe in the village is incredible, and more snow in the forecast - yay!

Too bad all this volunteering gets in the way..

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 15, 2010, 9:59 p.m.

Heading up tomorrow … cant wait!

Feb. 15, 2010, 10 p.m.

Stoked for the medal for Bode….and I just finished watching a documentary about Svindal and his crash a few years back….good on him too,,,didn't even know he had won.

he broke his back right? Amazing the injuries these guys come back from…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 15, 2010, 10:04 p.m.

Got busted not rolling down the windows at about 140 on the biggest air at Deer Valley….didnt really catch if he broke his back,but he came back a year later and nailed it for first.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 15, 2010, 10:10 p.m.

I think he had a colostomy for a while too.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.