Whistler Conditions Sept 2013 - May 2014

Jan. 7, 2014, 10:10 a.m.

too much snow, hopefully it snows to the valley and closes the highway…. :)

this is a cool map…
http://freshymap.com/mountains/WhistlerBlackcomb

Jan. 7, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

Valley is forecast to be at 8 degrees at the start of next week. Pray it doesn't get here quicker or we might be bike parking sooner than expected.

I say lets forget about this crappy season and get the bike park crew digging trails out!

Jan. 7, 2014, 7:10 p.m.

WH, don't forget about the 10,000 standing around the new Harmony 6 attraction

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 7, 2014, 7:19 p.m.

WH, don't forget about the 10,000 standing around the new Harmony 6 attraction

Are the masses figuring out how to load 6 at a time?

Thread killer

Jan. 7, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

Are the masses figuring out how to load 6 at a time?

From what I saw on Friday, yes. I couldn't believe the lines at that chair though. Even at 230 there was still a 15minute wait from the looks of it.

Eff got called into work tomorrow

Jan. 8, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

well… good and bad. we need the base very badly. this forecast, if it delivers, will certainly help do that and give us a solid go for the rest of the season. the bad? 70+cm in 3 days over a massive sliding surface and winds up to 95kph each day. nothing up high is going to open this weekend. nothing. still, we need it. if you do adventurous things, be careful, but maybe don't do adventurous things this weekend.

Jan. 8, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

well… good and bad. we need the base very badly. this forecast, if it delivers, will certainly help do that and give us a solid go for the rest of the season. the bad? 70+cm in 3 days over a massive sliding surface and winds up to 95kph each day. nothing up high is going to open this weekend. nothing. still, we need it. if you do adventurous things, be careful, but maybe don't do adventurous things this weekend.

storm skiin' inbounds, my fav since the tourons are exhausted by 11am

Jan. 8, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

Emerald chair is where the action is going to be. Don't miss it! ;)

Jan. 8, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

Emerald chair is where the action is going to be. Don't miss it! ;)

I hear the new crabapple terrain park will be going off!

Jan. 8, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

Emerald chair is my favourite by a longshot!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 8, 2014, 6:41 p.m.

I hear the new crabapple terrain park will be going off!

probably the smartest move they have ever done for crowd control on Whistler, having the park beside the family zone on Emerald was bound to cause issues sooner or later, as well as traffic problems at Emerald. Crabapple was a really under utilised area….

mtbskierdad

Jan. 8, 2014, 8:17 p.m.

probably the smartest move they have ever done for crowd control on Whistler, having the park beside the family zone on Emerald was bound to cause issues sooner or later, as well as traffic problems at Emerald. Crabapple was a really under utilised area….

Wait, someone finally figured out to move the park from Emerald zone? Brilliant!

Jan. 8, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

SO that isn't temporary? I thought they moved it just to be near the snow machines until real snow fell.

Jan. 8, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

Wait, someone finally figured out to move the park from Emerald zone? Brilliant!

only the jumps are all smalls, so if you're going faster than a slow jog, you're going to flat.

Jan. 9, 2014, 8:42 a.m.

only the jumps are all smalls, so if you're going faster than a slow jog, you're going to flat.

I think that's why it's called the S/M park, with most being S.

I also think it was brilliant to take it out of the Emerald chaos and take some load off that chair.

That said, Crabapple is much tighter wall to wall and the overall size/length of the park is much shorter. So, while theoretically great for the groms and folks working on tricks off smaller jumps, boxes, and rails… you still get the gapers that wanna' show off b/c their long-t's aren't long enough for the big boy park yet (ie- they don't wanna' show that they actually suck), and they pretty much run roughshod over the area.

So… some pretty severe growing pains. I think they gotta' somehow link in the upper pitch of Crabapple and then carry it down to Fitz into the boneyard. Problem is when it merges under Fitz.

That said, they've de-tuned the M side of the Blackcomb park with some additional boxes and smaller M jumps. They are under-advertising this. So anyone finding the new Crabapple too small, should venture over to the Catskinner park, where it's not all L/XL this year.