Whistler Conditions Oct 2012 - May 2013

Dec. 6, 2012, 12:29 p.m.

So…worth the trip up tomorrow? Looks like it will be windy but not too windy.

Maybe I should follow the "worst day skiing is better than the best day working" strategy.

Cheers Ben

Dec. 6, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

So…worth the trip up tomorrow? Looks like it will be windy but not too windy.

Maybe I should follow the "worst day skiing is better than the best day working" strategy.

Cheers Ben

Do you have a pass? Tomorrow looks like it's going to be a nothing special day. If you are hounding for powder it's not going to be deep. Dust on crust…but the nice thing is it's not really crust yet. It's actual "packed powder" conditions. Everything was skiing soft on the weekend.

It will be better than a day at the office. It will be better than a kick in the nuts. It won't be life altering.

Dec. 6, 2012, 1 p.m.

whistlerhounds are funny.

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

I have an allergy to bridges and borders.

Also when it's not puking Baker can't hold a candle to WB for variety. I will give it a plus for how easy it is to ski to the base and have a beer in the lodge before heading home.

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:27 p.m.

Interesting. TBH I didn't realise how close to the border it is. It appears though that a big chunk of terrain is classified "extreme danger" and requires a transceiver etc - not so good for the solo skier? Or not so extremely dangerous as advertised? A fair bit further to drive too from this side of the city.

Sorry for the OT diversion people…

Cheers Ben

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:37 p.m.

sorry, shirk's right - the borders line ups are horrible, and the Port Mann now has a toll in addition to still being a traffic jam. The hill is also extremely dangerous as noted on thier site. and it's never puking there enough to have boot top freshies after your lunch break that you don't go ski because you're wiped out from the morning.

:)

Dec. 6, 2012, 1:55 p.m.

i fucking love baker!
lots of gnar, friendly locals, and you party in bellingham with college hoes.
Thinking Monday/Tuseday could be a baker time.

Dec. 6, 2012, 7:40 p.m.

Baker is a good one! It still has a down to earh feel…. That is hard to match. To bad about the line ups at the border. There was time.. When you could just (almost) drive on through. The Ross thing and 9/11 of course did not help.

Dec. 6, 2012, 10:20 p.m.

Baker is a good one! It still has a down to earh feel…. That is hard to match. To bad about the line ups at the border. There was time.. When you could just (almost) drive on through. The Ross thing and 9/11 of course did not help.

There's a Nexus line at Sumas now so you can roll pretty much through. Not quite the same as the good 'ol days of course but it gets the job done….

Dec. 7, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

There's a Nexus line at Sumas now so you can roll pretty much through. Not quite the same as the good 'ol days of course but it gets the job done….

Bah…alright for you canucks. We imports need to line up and renew our I94 every 3 months. Can't even do it on line or ahead of time!

But back on track…the drive up to Whistler was totally worth it, my first day for the season and it was a blast. I'd forgotten how good it is with no crowds!

Cheers Ben

Dec. 8, 2012, 6:01 a.m.

Yeah don't go to Baker. The 1 hour 40 min drive and knee deep powder was tough to handle for $50. Mind you, mid week skiing is best whether its Baker, Whistler or local hills.

So did the Whistler alpine open yet?

Dec. 8, 2012, 7:32 a.m.

So did the Whistler alpine open yet?

Yes! The big news will be Blackcomb Alpine opening this weekend.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 8, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

Bakers a blast, best part is definitely how its more laid back, winter in whistler drives me crazy sometimes. Tough to argue that its a better hill, up here I've had plenty of knee deep so far.

Dec. 11, 2012, 1:49 p.m.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Dec. 20, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

Today was EPIC

Glacier and 7th opened. Two runs down spankies. Diamond far entrance still has some pretty big boulders you need to navigate, once passed them your golden.

Looked like Harmony and peaked opened today too. Incredible considering how much snow they've had in the past few days and the winds!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter