Whistler Blackcomb conditions Winter 2014/15

Feb. 15, 2015, 9:27 p.m.

I grieved by getting a sunburn on the remants of powmagedon.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 15, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

At least I'm not locked in my room crying and listening to The Smiths or Morrisey.

I'm gonna get through this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4k5sTzxIw

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 15, 2015, 10:04 p.m.

Y'know…. we've been up more days than we should be this year, as the kids' are so heavily into the competitive skiing these days. So we're up every Friday through Sunday plus additional time for comp's in other places in BC. And while it should have sucked, it hasn't.

There have been sucky moments indeed. And skiing in rain to the summit is no one's idea of a party. That said, more good days than bad and certainly the old adage "a bad day in the mountains is better than a good day at work".

Case in point, this weekend. High alpine was a wicked awesome 4cm of dust on not too firmly frozen crust and the skinning was fast so lappage could be had on Apostles and Oboe front-side. Kids pretty much rode park and hit drops in the alpine and had a blast as well. The boy hiked the Stoopids with his coaches and said it was nice cold snow over firm base.

Mrs. WH:

Me on rain runnel dust on crust:

Never too old for shifties:

Mrs WH opening it up:

See? Not horrible.

Feb. 15, 2015, 10:25 p.m.

See? Not horrible.

I've been right there with you all season.

First world problem and all, but I still would have liked to have at least one deep day on a decent base by now and we're going to need something of a miracle for that to happen from here on in.

Feb. 16, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

I've been right there with you all season.

First world problem and all, but I still would have liked to have at least one deep day on a decent base by now and we're going to need something of a miracle for that to happen from here on in.

Remember '05. Remember '05. Remember '05. And then pray that it's like '05. Perhaps even worse than it is right now, and then March and April were pretty solidly awesome. I only remember that so well, as the boy was in Mrs. WH's tummy and she kept laughing how she picked the best season to be pregnant. And then March hit and joke was on her….

Feb. 16, 2015, 11:49 a.m.

Remember '05. Remember '05. Remember '05. And then pray that it's like '05. Perhaps even worse than it is right now, and then March and April were pretty solidly awesome. I only remember that so well, as the boy was in Mrs. WH's tummy and she kept laughing how she picked the best season to be pregnant. And then March hit and joke was on her….

To funny, I have zero ski days this winter and GF was laughing saying how this was my winter as she is carrying our second child. It's all hers next winter. she is already planning the ski trip. What are you going do?

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Feb. 16, 2015, 7:24 p.m.

Too bad PEI is flat.

Feb. 16, 2015, 8:18 p.m.

1% getting 99% of the powder.

Feb. 16, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

1% getting 99% of the powder.

I dont know if I would call it powder. (Halifax)

Feb. 17, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

I bet the Chic Choc's got some good snow totals out of that storm. It's not flat.

Wonder what the cat skiing spot in Newfoundland got.

Feb. 18, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

rollkas ?

Rollkas for sale - $10 a pair, made in Italy high quality grass skis, get them while the snow sucks….

Feb. 18, 2015, 4:10 p.m.

a bad sign of the times?

http://www.grasskiusa.com/history.html

Feb. 23, 2015, 11:54 a.m.

Just gotta' go to the snow and the right aspect. Over 2000m still skiing very well and winds on the weekend let to good (for this year) on Saturday to very good on Sunday in the Blackcomb Backcountry. North aspects and pocketed gullies the best and bomber. Skiing mostly Decker, Circle Glacier, Disease Ridge.

The 9 year old boy, after seeing our photos from Saturday, opted to skip Freestyle (not another park day…) to get some pow and more big mountain skiing. He skinned just around 5,000' on Sunday.

Mrs. had the camera both days, so not much of her.

Boy and me:

Boy:

Me:

Mrs:

Boy:

Me:

Boy:

It's almost always ski season somewhere in February.

March 11, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

Well, it's been a good run of spring skiing and morning firm crap. That might be about to change.

It would be funny to see everyone from the city pile into their mini-vans for Saturday morning gong show only to find out it's all closed for avy control, as there's 50cm of March chowder sitting on top of a skating rink. Bet nothing really opens until Sunday/Monday.

That said, I'll be at SilverStar rockin' their forecasted 1.5cm of fresh while the kids hit the BC Freestyle Finals.

March 11, 2015, 6:59 p.m.

Well, it's been a good run of spring skiing and morning firm crap. That might be about to change.

It would be funny to see everyone from the city pile into their mini-vans for Saturday morning gong show only to find out it's all closed for avy control, as there's 50cm of March chowder sitting on top of a skating rink. Bet nothing really opens until Sunday/Monday.

That said, I'll be at SilverStar rockin' their forecasted 1.5cm of fresh while the kids hit the BC Freestyle Finals.

Im heading up in the morning for a shnoodle.. I figure, if nothing else, it should be 'interesting'. Already eagerly awaiting my nacho/beer face shots.