Which BC mountain to check out?

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

I am switching jobs and have a month off in between - was hoping to make good use of my time and do a solo ski trip. I live in Vancouver and haven't ridden anything aside from Cypress and Whistler (I've only lived out west for a few years) - interested in checking out some new terrain. Looking for something that is:

- within 5 (or so) hours driving distance of Vancouver
- has lots of snow at this time of the year
- solid off-piste terrain (I am not a super awesome skier but am easily bored with the groomers)
- affordable accommodations at the hill

Not sure if t here is a legit option out there or am I just better off going to Whistler?

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

big white?

Dec. 9, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

70 cms last night near bell2.

might be time to win the lottery instead.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 9, 2014, 9:56 p.m.

Not 5 hours drive, but if you can swing it check out Fernie or Red in Rossland.

Dec. 9, 2014, 11:16 p.m.

Apex Mountain outside of Penticton

Dec. 10, 2014, 6:05 a.m.

if you are willing to go to the US… baker? crystal?

Dec. 10, 2014, 6:54 a.m.

Just outside of 5 hours; Revelstoke

Dec. 10, 2014, 7:16 a.m.

If you got a month bigwhite/silverstar/sunpeaks/apex all have on hill accommodations, are all pretty close to vancover and one another so try them all,

you gotta wait and see how the snow coverage is IME big white is the highest and most likely to have snow AND fog

Dec. 10, 2014, 8:39 a.m.

How much of your month are you taking for skiing all of it? I'd go Silver Star, Revy, Red. Alternatively chase the snow!

Yeah interior fog skiing!

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:14 a.m.

when's this holiday supposed to happen?

It's grim in these parts right now, rain to 2250m yesterday and more of the same today has/will wash off most of the pitiful base we had.

Whitewaters webcam this morning:

Red Mountain this morning:

Actually it's +9 and soggy today so I'm going to go Mountain Biking, forget about skiing for a while

Dec. 10, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

big white is by far the better of the two for off piste action. SStar is much better for smashing groomers, which is realistically all you will be doing if you started skiing tomorrow.

I would highly recommend Fernie and Castle Mtn if you have a good vehicle. That leaves Kicking Horse and Revy options open for the drive home. Also - if you are in the East Koots you can do a day at Kimbo which has some pretty fun groomers to smash around on. I know its not 5 hours away, but 5 hours is a day of driving and fernie takes a day. Plus, you pass every other resort mentioned on the way there minus whis, revy and big white out. BUT, you can easily link those in.

Consider expanding the 5 hour drive limit. Everything within 5 hours from here is pretty soaked.

Dec. 10, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

5 hours doesn't get you very far, but if you're willing to expand that a bit, Revelstoke and Red are worth the drive. I thought Sun Peaks had some nice terrain as well but I wouldn't go all the way there for it - it's maybe more of an option to break up a drive. I agree that options in WA are also worth looking into, though I have personally only skied Baker.

It's hard to justify a trip anywhere with Whistler on our doorstep, though. Although this year has sucked so far.

Dec. 10, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

With a month off don't plan any specific spot western Canada/US.

Look at who is going to get hit with the best storm and chase it.

My most memorable trip started in Calgary, took me to Kicking Horse, Fernie, Squaw Valley, Kirkwood, Alta, Jackson Hole, Nelson, and some cat skiing back near Fernie.

Two weeks of storm chasing bliss.

Pack a sleeping bag and split nights between sleeping in the car and hostels.

Dec. 10, 2014, 2:14 p.m.

Slim snow conditions at Red usually until mid to late January Thens its F'ing rad and fun same with whitewater , and fernie ect.
forget about your five hour drive limitation and chase the weather . if you drive five from Van city it doesn't get you anywhere that 3-4 does and the next good action is more like 6.5 + hours drive anyways .

I suggest you lose the limitation of drive time
That is unless you are stuck with some electric car bull shit .

Dec. 10, 2014, 2:29 p.m.

I second Bell2 Lodge

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca