what's a good wax for coastal mountains and whistler

Jan. 3, 2008, 3:51 p.m.

and turning performance will be diminshed in anything but soft snow, .

this line says it all.

Jan. 3, 2008, 3:54 p.m.

bingo

why ski anything but soft snow?

Jan. 3, 2008, 3:56 p.m.

Icy groomers are the way to go. The only thing more fun is Neds

Jan. 3, 2008, 3:58 p.m.

I get alot of core shots skiing neds dont you?

Jan. 3, 2008, 4:02 p.m.

the most core shots i got was trying to ski Twin Bridges. More wax would have helped

Jan. 3, 2008, 4:23 p.m.

Lee, with enough wax supplies and portable irons, you think we could do the triple crown on skis?

Jan. 3, 2008, 4:35 p.m.

Lee laughs in the face of the Triple Crown on skis.

:canada: :czech:

Jan. 3, 2008, 4:35 p.m.

so, another question to quench my thirst for knowledge on "ski maintenance for the minimalist"… alot has been talked about waxing but not much mentioned on ptex-ing the bases and grinding the edges. how bad is really bad that you have to perform those?

Jan. 3, 2008, 5:09 p.m.

so, another question to quench my thirst for knowledge on "ski maintenance for the minimalist"… alot has been talked about waxing but not much mentioned on ptex-ing the bases and grinding the edges. how bad is really bad that you have to perform those?

Is the full core showing? If the gouge isn't all the way into the core then nothing to worry about. If the core is exposed get it sealed up with p-tex to keep the water out and keep the wood core from rotting. Foam core skis just shouldn't have been bought in the first place.

Edges, when you can only slarve sideways down a semi icy groomer and you start to worry about life and limb on the gaper slamom then hit them with a file.

Jan. 3, 2008, 7:51 p.m.

depends on how sharp you like your skis

again I wouldnt use a p-tex you need to light cuz the repair doesn't last in my experiance …notice tognar calls it a temporary repair

http://www.tognar.com/base_repair_tools_iron_ptex_gouges_damage.html

this site has alot of good stuff

I would use those repair ribbons or if you got a core shot some of that metal grip repair string followed up with the pure p-tex string

a soldering iron with a broad tip OR I used my iron from my computer tool bag to just push along a 1" piece of olfa razor knife … makes a good job and doesnt burn the existing base material

A ski tech gave me several yards of that p-tex string 20+ years ago and I still got it OR buy a ski tech a beer and hit him up for a few yards of that repair string

Jan. 4, 2008, 7:10 a.m.

Is the full core showing? If the gouge isn't all the way into the core then nothing to worry about. If the core is exposed get it sealed up with p-tex to keep the water out and keep the wood core from rotting. Foam core skis just shouldn't have been bought in the first place.

Edges, when you can only slarve sideways down a semi icy groomer and you start to worry about life and limb on the gaper slamom then hit them with a file.

I agree. I have never p-texed, nor plan too. If the damage is bad enough I would either get a full base repair done or simply live with it. The only time I would get overly concerned is if the damage was affecting the edge.

Jan. 4, 2008, 11:19 a.m.

I don't understand the adversion to tuning skis. I think its fun. get some beers, waxing, ptex, scraping, weed, ski movie = good times. Why I remember when I was a little grom, buring my fingers with a flaming ptex stick in the garage. No idea how to do it, and no internets to type about it on.

Forest did you mount those Dynafits on your Legends?

negative on the legends. I now am the proud owner of a quiver. The new skis are bad ass.

Jan. 4, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

I don't understand the adversion to tuning skis. I think its fun. get some beers, waxing, ptex, scraping, weed, ski movie = good times. Why I remember when I was a little grom, buring my fingers with a flaming ptex stick in the garage. No idea how to do it, and no internets to type about it on.

i think it's really a matter of having the space and the tools. Tuning your skis over two kitchen chairs in your living room sucks where have them in proper ski vices and a large enought garage or vented room makes it a lot more enjoyable. I for one really enjoy ski tuning.

Jan. 4, 2008, 12:29 p.m.

negative on the legends. I now am the proud owner of a quiver. The new skis are bad ass.

What did you get?

as paul says it'a a space thing right now. If I had more space it wouldn't be such an task.

Jan. 4, 2008, 12:29 p.m.

definately. I bought ski clamps for 40$ probably 12 years ago, they make it alot easier, and will clamp on just about any surface.well, you can come on down to the JA tuning shop anytime. Going to have a session tonight in fact, including ptexing some Chance Creek Mainline holes. I promised Lee I'd show him the secret one of these days. He's got those new Goliaths that are slow as shit. I hope my new thunders are faster.

One other tip that I learned the hard way.

Clealy indicate which one of your irons is for shirts and which one is for skis. Beer(s) + iron that isn't for skis can lead to trouble later on.