what's a good wax for coastal mountains and whistler

Nov. 15, 2007, 5:35 p.m.

no backcountry just the standard all mtn. maybe some pow at whistler every once in a while and just normal all mtn skis too. i dont think the skis came waxed so it needs a good waxing

ps where do i buy it as well

Nov. 15, 2007, 6:30 p.m.

I have been a tech rep for Toko for many years in the Cross Country area. Toko Yellow is the perfect wax for our coastal conditions in XC or downhill/snowboard. As it gets colder or dryer mix in some Toko red. If you want fast boards spend the extra and use a floro carbon. Not dangerous unless it is burned which is a no no anyway.

Basically your not skiing on snow but rather a thin layer of water at all times. The more hymidity (coastal) the more you need a wax with flouro to repell the water and break up molecules and you will slide faster. The colder snow has less water so you need a hard wax which causes friction which creates heat which makes water for you to slide better. Toko yellow is the ideal and more flouro the better but more expence. Any good ski shop will carry good wax.
Just my 2 cents.

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 15, 2007, 7:13 p.m.

Norona, whats dangerous about flourocarbon wax, fumes when its burnt ? Your a rep, what would a bar of yellow go for ?

Nov. 15, 2007, 7:25 p.m.

I would just get one of those 3 temp wax packs to start that go from around zero to colder ,that should cover whatever temps you encounter ,you will see what you use the most of and buy that next time

the other end of the spectrum is a waxing clinic at sovergiegn lakes ,a base structuring kits,drill driven brushes,expensive waxes ,BIG tool boxes covered in xc racing stickers blah blah blah .

Nov. 16, 2007, 7:17 a.m.

I just got a new pair of skis. Should I go over them with wax before first use?

Nov. 16, 2007, 7:28 a.m.

yes, it sure wouldn't hurt. Plus the factory machine waxes are more of a storage waxing.

Nov. 16, 2007, 8:10 a.m.

yeah I still have the stock factory wax on 'em too

Nov. 16, 2007, 8:48 a.m.

I am no longer a tech rep, but a bar of toko yellow for DH or Snowboard with flouro goes for about 50-60 bucks…that is the best stuff. Pure flouro is a bitch to put on and you need a proper wax iron to do it properly. Regular toko yellow is the perfect wax for the coast. i would only buy the three pack if you ski in the interior because you will go through your yellow and be left with red and green.
Flouro carbons are a synthetic blend which repell water and dirt to a very high degree. Put a drop of water on the bottoms of your bases. Move it around and on a dry pair or older ski it will look like grease is on your base. The water will drag around becoming long. This is why when you go through spring conditons your skis slow down….warm wax helps repel the water by making it ball up to resemble little ball bearings and therefore you slide faster. Flouro carbons make the balls smaller therefore sliding faster. Now most people use an old iron which is fine however the wax should melt but not smoke. If it smokes you are breathing in oil which is no good. it also changes the wax characteristics. Flouro carbons are not good for you but only if they are burned which is why the more expensive wax you buy the better iron you need. Pure flouro carbon which goes for 100 bucks plus has a melting temp close to its burning temp so you need an iron which can be adjusted to the perfect temp. A home iron gets super hot then shuts off then goes on again so the saturation is not very good.

I only was very specific when i raced ie flouro carbon and never used pure flouro even though i have a lot of it it is a hassle to put on. The best wax on the market in my opinon is the di-bloc series from toko if your looking for super fast wax. Waxing more often makes your bases faster that is why when you have a fast pair you keep them. Top teams may wax a ski 20 plus times before it hits the snow….more waxing makes a ski faster. It is also interesting to note that rushing or polishing the ski after waxing is the most important steep…

However all this does not matter as much in dh unless your racing. I spend more of my time sled skiing and touring so i never wax my skis as skins don't stick to oil very well…my advice make it simple buy a good warmer wax, use a home iron and don't smoke the wax, brush the base out well and go have fun…do it as much as you can…

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Nov. 16, 2007, 8:55 a.m.

Stick with yellow for most days on the coast. In the kootneys I use mostly red.

Flouro is a huge waste of cash for the average skier. It's what you use when tenths of seocnds matter.

The brushes are just as important as your wax slection.

Nov. 16, 2007, 9:24 a.m.

thanks for the good info norona.

I wondered if there was an overkill point to the amount you can wax your skis. Your info has confirmed that I can spend as much time in the garage waxing skis and drinking beer as I like.

Nov. 16, 2007, 9:44 a.m.

hey norona don't ya think fluro anything is a bit of overkill in this crowd?

we are just trying to get SOME wax on p-tex ,once in awhile maybe convince folks they shouldnt wear cotton under their outer wear

http://www.tognar.com/

all kinds of info inb here folks

Nov. 16, 2007, 10:18 a.m.

Go to MEC and get a box of Swix all conditions, 5 bars I think for 33.

Nov. 16, 2007, 10:42 a.m.

thanks for the good info norona.

I wondered if there was an overkill point to the amount you can wax your skis. Your info has confirmed that I can spend as much time in the garage waxing skis and drinking beer as I like.

not really, fins have traditionaly waxed up their skis and left em in the sauna ,race skis at high levels have heated wax baths all to get more wax into the ski

Nov. 16, 2007, 11:03 a.m.

a large hunk of Swix red or Toko yellow

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Nov. 16, 2007, 11:08 a.m.

xxx'er, it always to know the best and then work backwards from there. If you read my post it clearly states at the end that I don't even wax my skis…as i am on new boards every season. However even the lower end price point wax now has a bit of flouro carbon in it. The more in it the more expensive the wax. However I agree all you really need is t keep your bases moist at the very least and a universal wax will work fine. However if you are looking for more performance on wet snow or spring conditions then that info may help some….sorry if it is over done…dave

@davenorona

@Dave Norona