V6 or Vector

Jan. 14, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

nah, $500 bucks for a pair of skis with holes in them from Mec is a smoking deal :p

Whatever retail is on these skis, once they are mounted, knock 50% off. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Jan. 15, 2016, 7:41 a.m.

The plot thickens! Here's the deal….or not…..

These skis were originally sold for Cdn.$679.00, mounted, skied, returned, binders yanked off and are being discounted to $509.00. Savings of some $170.00.

Since first phone call a 2nd pair of brand new in-the-wrapper V6 have now materialized and being held with first used pair at member services until Sat. noonish for my perusal.

However, said new pair are being sold at a new price reflecting the plucked state of our Loonie, some $789.00.

So, do I have any leverage arguing that a $170.00 discount is poor value for the used skis when they can counter that I wasn't the original purchaser and that discount price is actually reflective of a savings of some $280.00 off the new pair?

The question is why would the price go up or be high due to the dollar?
The stock was probably purchased in the summer and been sitting in a warehouse in Quebec where most stock seems to come from. The new lower dollar should have nothing to with the price.
500 for drilled skis? A bit steep I would say.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 15, 2016, 10:58 a.m.

$509 with holes? Are they joking? Maybe if it was a Volkl VWERKS or DPS carbon ski that retails for over $1k.

Those skis will probably sit there and be discounted to $300 at the end of the year to try to move them.

Jan. 15, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

I don't know much about skis and I can't be asses to look up a voile product, but… I want to mix things up a bit, and want something for long tours, so I bought a pair of armada declevity 184, 98 underfoot. they are fine for chossing around the resort and any conditions where there is a bottom, but I wish I had gone wider. I think 110 underfoot would be a better all around ski.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 15, 2016, 12:40 p.m.

Brock - Yeah given the # of times I've been told at MEC "out of stock no more 'till next season", on everything generally but skis in particular, the price hike seems odd.
But, I heard a couple horror stories about they treated staff during corporate re-structuring couple years ago so who knows what deviants now make policy there. Someone should go chat up the ski dept. and try and catch them out.

grambo - Since I was buying binder there, I was thinking of offering them $400, in lieu free mounting, wax, and edge tune. Hmmm…. Maybe I should be more of a bastid?

JD - I don't think I'd want to fight the leverage of 110 underfoot on a long traverse. Just sayin'….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 15, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

Brock - Yeah given the # of times I've been told at MEC "out of stock no more 'till next season", on everything generally but skis in particular, the price hike seems odd.
But, I heard a couple horror stories about they treated staff during corporate re-structuring couple years ago so who knows what deviants now make policy there. Someone should go chat up the ski dept. and try and catch them out.

MEC is a funny entity. They are supposed to be a Co-op where I love the return policy. The questionable is that they seem to not be any cheaper on gear there. There is no deals made on the spot so to speak like the local shops. They have the money to build these state of the art store outlets which IMO are a bit over the top for selling thermal layers and powerbars. Looks like MEC is making a killing to me.

REI gives all their members a kickback at the end of the year depending on profits made.

While I am on my soapbox I will go further. The way MEC are trying to compete with the local bike shops, race directors, coaches, clubs, etc makes me wonder…. Where does this money go? So MEC is all out for profit?

Not the original concept so much.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 15, 2016, 2:54 p.m.

I had the same thoughts when I was buying skis. I have done some long tours and my share of icy side hilling on my splitboard, I am coming to the conclusion that more float in both directions out weighs a bit better edging. I say that with out ever having skied a fatter ski. so…

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.