TR - Rogers Pass - not raining here!

Jan. 8, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

Seemed like a good time to head away from the coast with the impending weather forecast of increasing freezing levels!

Day one, Lone Pine.
more pics here

Gavan's first time in the Pass

Tyler the splitter still working on his downhill skiing with skins skills…

We found the slope and the vis held off. It was warm in the alpine -5, and -12 in the valley!

Tyler heading down!

down we go!

Lee likin' the megawatties!

Tyler rippin' the road berm

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 9, 2010, 10:29 a.m.

looks like too much fun

Jan. 9, 2010, 10:42 a.m.

Looks like a great day.

Jan. 9, 2010, 12:29 p.m.

Megawhat?? Finally found some serious ski?

Do they skin up adequatly? To me they seem a bit hefty but probably worth the extra exercise.

Though nice to play around with.

Jan. 9, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

Yeah Lee, Id love to know what you think of the Megawatts… touring wise and skiing wise. Ive been wanting a set for a while.

Jan. 9, 2010, 4:41 p.m.

buddy of mine just got the green zealots which have the early rise tips this year and he loves em .

I see him at the hill and they look like a real hard charging ski

Jan. 9, 2010, 4:44 p.m.

buddy of mine just got the green zealots which have the early rise tips this year and he loves em .

I see him at the hill and they look like a real hard charging ski

I skiied the 185 Justice with early rise tip and I was unimpressed. They were fine, light, stiff… but meh. Im thinking the megawatts would be quite different tho.

Jan. 9, 2010, 5:05 p.m.

I skiied the 185 Justice with early rise tip and I was unimpressed. They were fine, light, stiff… but meh. Im thinking the megawatts would be quite different tho.

REALLY! I was leaning more toward the Justice then the Megawatts since they could be more all round.

Until Lee convinced me if you're going to go big, then go big…

which suggests I should try the Volkl Chopstick - 148-128-148!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 9, 2010, 5:15 p.m.

LeeLau

188 Megawatts with Dynafits. Skied one day inbounds - cutup pow - meh

Skied 2050m vert in Rogers Pass today.

Megawatts made me feel like a man. Testosterone so high its leaking out of the nipples as i sit on top of 40 deg pow slope. Feel like i can run over small children, stumps, powlines, pillows - whatever gets in my way

Definitely feels the weight on the way up but its more then worth it on the way down.

Jan. 10, 2010, 3:49 p.m.

the justice would be a whole differnt ski ,a little bit dummied down with the verdict [HTML_REMOVED] the zealot being incremaentaly higher in performance

I think the mega watt is a pure powder ski while the zealot would be a wide GS ski with early rise for either pow or GS turns at the hill

Apparently BD dummied down the verdict a bit but I was told not as much as other skis in the BD line

I should be able to swap buddy my JJ's for the zealots for half a day

Jan. 11, 2010, 7:01 a.m.

my hard charging Goliaths just are not manly anymore.

Jan. 11, 2010, 7:31 a.m.

grat pics, I was in Revy this weekend and the snow was definately better than what I had been expecting.

Jan. 11, 2010, 8:09 a.m.

REALLY! I was leaning more toward the Justice then the Megawatts since they could be more all round.

Until Lee convinced me if you're going to go big, then go big…

which suggests I should try the Volkl Chopstick - 148-128-148!

I would go with lee on that one. With one caveat. The Rossi S3 is light, and reasonably narrow (@98mm underfoot), but because the shape of the tip is similar to the s7 (and maybe even the megawatt) the tip rarely ever is under the snow. I was super impressed with that ski. Especially railing it on groomers.

The Justice to me is a fairly stiff ski that doesnt feel like it has much life. If youre really super aggressive on it, its great, but you really have to try to charge or it just feels like a stiff, lifeless, plank.

Jan. 11, 2010, 8:24 a.m.

Did I hear something about rain crust in the Pass yesterday? Did your claim of no rain jinx it for everyone.

I think 2/3 of Whistler was in Revy and the Pass this weekend.

Jan. 11, 2010, 8:51 a.m.

Nice shots/TR. We were out there over the holidays putting in a few bigger days (days that make Lee's days seem like cake walks for sissies) and enjoying the stable conditions. How is the surface hoar layer? When we left, we all agreed that we would skip that area for a while until it settled down. We experienced wide spread activity on this layer as the snow accumulated and I see that there are still numerous sa's on many aspects at many elevations. Have you guys seen any evidence of this layer? If you are skiing Lee's reported 40 degree powder slopes, obviously you are onto something!