touring sunglasses recommendation

Oct. 2, 2009, 1:44 a.m.

I'm trying to find some sunglasses for cold weather hiking and ski-touring.

Wraparounds (que sexual jokes) always fog up on me. I haven't found a pair yet that dont do this unless I am moving fast; and as some on the board here can attest, I'm not fast!

The best bets so far have been shades that give some air space between the eyes and the lenses, prblem is they let in lots of side light.

So Im thinking about some of those ridiculous looking glacier glasses with the side shields.

Anyone use them before? Do they breath well and not fog up?

Im in Nepal for the next while and need some new glasses for our treks in October. I found a pair of Julbo sunglasses for a decent price.

If they work I vow to walk up and down Commercial Dr and near MEC wearing them in all their side-shield glory.

Oct. 2, 2009, 2:41 p.m.

polarized is what you want to cut down on the glare, my glacier glasses have never fogged on me, mind you i was usually using them in some pretty freaking cold temps

meh

Oct. 2, 2009, 2:58 p.m.

Oakley Gascans? Adidas Sport?

Or are you looking for something more alpine specific?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Oct. 3, 2009, 11:33 p.m.

yes polarized is ultimately what I want. I've always had polarized and love it in most conditions… on a side note a polarizer filter on a camera is wicked.

I am looking something solely for ski touring (the uphill), climbing and hiking in the mountains. If they look good enough to wear as daily glasses too I would wear them regularly.

I thihnk I'll just wait until Im back in Canada, the glasses here in Nepal can be questionable at best on their "realness".

Oct. 4, 2009, 9:10 a.m.

I've had a few pairs of smiths that i have liked. always have a pair of cheapos (ryders or sefras) kicking abound in the pack. depends on how much you want to spend

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 4, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

whatever fits ,right now I am finding Nike fit my face/head well ,I buy em at the optometrist with whom I check to make sure the lense curvature will work with my prescription

Oct. 4, 2009, 3:16 p.m.

the bad news…the only glasses (cebe2000) i've ever had that don't regularly fog up:

the good news: not too many people will see you in them.
yes i would love to know an alternativ, although i'm too tight to buy new ones until i need to

Oct. 4, 2009, 4:17 p.m.

http://www.rei.com/product/734234

not polarized, but I've never had problems with them fogging up. used em for about 4 years now

edit: looks like MEC has some similar ones as well, just look for glacier sunglasses. they will be built not to let a lot of light in through the sides.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Oct. 4, 2009, 5:15 p.m.

I used my oakely monster doggles ski touring a bunch. Love em. Never really fog up, even when im dumb enough to leave em on my top of my head. I had a pair of Smtih Method polarized too, they were good, but then got stolen. Anything a bigger lens from Smith or Oakley should be good…and you wont look like a mec-head when you walked around with them on - always a plus.

Oct. 4, 2009, 7:26 p.m.

the bad news…the only glasses (cebe2000) i've ever had that don't regularly fog up:

the good news: not too many people will see you in them.
yes i would love to know an alternativ, although i'm too tight to buy new ones until i need to

where do you get loungin shades like that

Oct. 5, 2009, 7:59 a.m.

Just get the Airblaster Glacier Glasses

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 5, 2009, 10:26 a.m.

a shop between my hotel and the slopes in zermatt quite a few years ago, I had to fight the ladies on the way out. it was exhausting and messy

well…i stand by the fact they're the only glasses that don't fog up on me and while i may look like a twat wearing them i'd look more like a twat skiing blind into trees, kids etc

Oct. 5, 2009, 11:37 a.m.

My bother inlaw rode from vancouver to san diego with prescrition maui jim typhoons. He said they worked awesome.

Oct. 5, 2009, 12:07 p.m.

I am going to have to blow off some Health care account by year end and I was thinking about some maui jims

Oct. 5, 2009, 12:17 p.m.

I usually pick up my touring sunglasses at the optometrist in Pemberton after forgetting that just cause its pouring in North Van, it might not be on the duffey.