the Extreme Everest Challenge

Feb. 28, 2012, 8:08 a.m.

http://valhallasmithers.com/index.php/blog/valhalla_pure_outfitters_-_extreme_everest_cahllenge/

it might be kind of far to travel unless you live up north but whatever

March 3, 2012, 9:54 p.m.

WOW! That rob guy is unreal. Really too bad about his accident. 8850m climbing in 25hr non-stop???

March 3, 2012, 10:39 p.m.

That man's a machine.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

March 3, 2012, 11:47 p.m.

My feet would be hamburger after that

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 4, 2012, 10:02 a.m.

I think the idea was 30,000ft in the style of Goran Kropp who biked sweden to everest-summited-biked home to sweden, so Rod biked from his house by the hospitol to the trail head skinned from town to the lifts, 18 times around the ski lift, skied/biked home, spent the night at work in emerg (on-call physician) a trip around the lift would be at least one hr up [HTML_REMOVED] down but trip #18 might be a little slower than trip #1 so yeah it was pretty much all night/all alone/self supported non-stop suffering followed by another night of pretty much all night non-stop at work

But the trials and challenges have come since then, all of them much bigger than a mere 30,000ft weekend romp at the hill, SO fast forward to mar 10th next weekend, It sounds like Dave at VP rallied some of his out door product suppliers (check the sponsors on the poster might be good swag!?)who were inspired by the story, I have heard people are coming from out of town, I know there will be at least one team of 2 cuz a "fit" local told me he is paired up with the dynafit rep doing 15,000 each, I got together a team of 3 so I gotta do 10,000 and there will be lots of those,

but I REALLY want to see someone solo … anybody out there got the motor ??

thru WASP the adaptive ski program up at Whis Rod was able to ski a little,from the you-tube he posted it was an arm outrigger-ski crutches/leashes on skis bunny run so not quite 30,000ft but he IS coming to ski

proceeds to the Rick Hansen foundation,

March 12, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

A GREAT 1st time event, very successful !

After ski hill sweep we start at 5pm saturday and went all night, some teams of 2 or 3 and a local 30yr old woman XC ski-racer/coach solo'ed the 30,000ft in 21-22 hrs but everybody had to push their own limits to do at least 10,000

It was an event, there was no real time keeping just a bunch of BC skiers coming together to accept a challenge and raise money for spinal cord reasearch … a very cool stoke

Huge thanx to Valhalla Pure Outfitters for putting on the event and the sponsors who drove a very long way to join the party and provide the event with MAJOR prizes and swag … Arcteryx, Dynafit [HTML_REMOVED] OR Swagadelic baby!

March 12, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

Nice work 3X.

Are you dissmissing the time keeping aspect because your team got served by a couple of girls?

Just kidding - there is no way I would have been able to keep up with them either. I really hope it becomes a yearly thing as I would love to join in next year.

March 12, 2012, 2:03 p.m.

We completely took over the lower lodge for a big all night skin/ski event, NO times were kept, there was a hand punch stuck in a road cone at the top for you to punch your own card, Lisa P was the only skier with the balls to attempt 30,000ft solo which she seemed to do effortlessly which just proves what some of us have always known … XC ski racers have THE motor

I only passed 1 person got passed MANY times, there were many high points the odd lowpoint like 4am run #5 at 8000 ft level with 2000 to go I was hurting the worst but a couple hrs sleep/coffee/a few shots/a burrito and I finished er off at 9 or 10 am

skiing "the down" at 1am in a whiteout, headlamp useless, no reference points, on the wrong ski run was special … 5 or 6 others also did that

He obviuosly wasn't able to do 30K but helping Rod skin/ski bunny runs/ride the T with the help of a group of buds was amazing and was big part of the whole gig for me

I predict a BIG event next yr with more industry reps /more swag/ more advertising

edit:2700$ raised for spinal cord research

‘It’s not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.’ Sir Edmund Hillary

March 28, 2012, 10:43 p.m.

Too bad I missed it this year, sounded like a cool event.

April 17, 2012, 1:48 a.m.

That sounds sweet. I've been kicking around the idea of not getting a seasons pass next year and doing more touring, with the idea being to get into tip top fitness. This event could be the focus, the reason, the progress test. Gotta find a couple of buddies by next year. Someone my speed, no mutants allowed on my team. Andy. But you should go, and see if your team can cut my team's time in half. I'll have something hot and boozy in a thermos to slow you down every time you pass me.

www.northshorebillet.com

April 17, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

This event could be the focus, the reason, the progress test. Gotta find a couple of buddies by next year. Someone my speed, no mutants allowed on my team. Andy. But you should go, and see if your team can cut my team's time in half. I'll have something hot and boozy in a thermos to slow you down every time you pass me.

I took Rod the quad skiing 2 of the 3 days he was up here for the event and it inspired me also, buddy became a Quad riding at WBP and no one would blame him if he just gave up but instead he keeps trying

I just flew out of 10 days at Burnie hut skiing/ boozing/ eating/ shoveling/ wood gathering, feeling strong, somewhere on that slog up Loft glacier I decided ok you did 10,000 so find another team mate and try 15000 ft,but in the same instant I realized Everest didn't get climbed by trying to go half way and there isn't really anything keeping me from doing 30000ft but me .

SO if i don't get injured or die from old age in the next year … I'm in for 30,000ft