Tech Bindings

Feb. 10, 2015, 4:30 p.m.

So because of a deal I couldn't pass up, ($500 off of Waymaker Tour 110's) I might now be transitioning to a tech setup way sooner than I thought I'd be.

Are Dynafit's v2.0 going to cure cancer and solve the middle east crisis and I should wait for them, or should I bag a pair right now now that a lot of sales are happening?

I'm looking more on the burlier side of things, but don't need Beast's.

The Marker's look good, but they kinda fucked up the pin-issue.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Feb. 10, 2015, 4:57 p.m.

Ask XXX'er about the RADs.

My old STs are still going on strong (although they tend to release if you burry the tip of a DPS 112 in about a meter of fresh)

Feb. 10, 2015, 5:01 p.m.

I'm fairly stoked with my G3 Onyx bindings mounted on Manhattans. The only time I have managed to blow out of those was while skiing balls to the wall through a rutty GS course; not my wisest gear / situation combination.

Feb. 10, 2015, 5:14 p.m.

Have you tried that boot on??

Any 1st year Tech binding is a crap shoot, if you could find G3 Ions that would be a good pick cuz while it is new binding it looks OK and has no issues reported so far probably becuz G3 did not try to re-invent the wheel they just copied and refined, its a 12 din tech binding for 499$ as opposed to 629$ for a dynafit FT SO … a good deal

They re-engineered the brand new marker kingpin so if you can see splines on the pin where they go into the arm they are the re-engineered product and should be ok BUT there could be other issues which haven't appeared yet ??

Fritschi Vipec had toe pin issues which they fixed they built a very different design in that the toe wings move laterally instead of the Heel pivoting SO Fritschi DID try to re-invent the wheel … personaly I want to see another season of use

The Dynafit Radicals are a few years old now, personaly I just peeled the top plate off a 1 yr old set of Radical ST's and literaly ended up hugging a tree, 2 of my ski buds have also pulled the top plate off we are skinny fuckers but we ski lots … I have more faith in my Verticals

SO find yourself a slightly used set of Vertical FT's on a 100-110 early rise ski/flat tail/skins included for 7-800$ would be cheaper and bomber

Feb. 10, 2015, 5:50 p.m.

Yep, apparently I'm one of the three people on this planet they built that boot for. Took it up Spearhead on Monday with only a single liner mold and no punches and came out with only a wee blister below the ankle.

The G3 Ions are on the short list for sure. I didn't know about the Kingpin issue until yesterday so I haven't checked what the Whis stores have. I gotta assume they're still the old stuff.

I'm going to be getting a new pair of skis too and thinking of 110ish underfoot.

The used market is barren right now but the shops in Whis are discounting pretty enticingly.

I thought the Radicals were bullet proof. Guess not! Given that I am over 200lbs, should the Beasts be put on the list? I'm still a rank beginner in the backcountry and don't plan on putting out any ski films for at least the next year or seven. I might take them to the resort for shits and giggles the odd day but will ski accordingly.

Lionel, how do you like the Wailers? I'm trying hard to not want them but am failing miserably. I'm probably going to rent a pair of RP2 Hybrids this weekend.

Feb. 10, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

Remember, if you get the Beast, you have to install plates on your boots for them to work. The price is super high as well.

From my experience in working on these things, the G3 Ion is looking the best right now, seem to be sturdier than the Dynafit product, but G3 is sold out and they will probably be hard to find.

Feb. 10, 2015, 7:42 p.m.

Yep, apparently I'm one of the three people on this planet they built that boot for. Took it up Spearhead on Monday with only a single liner mold and no punches and came out with only a wee blister below the ankle.

The G3 Ions are on the short list for sure. I didn't know about the Kingpin issue until yesterday so I haven't checked what the Whis stores have. I gotta assume they're still the old stuff.

I'm going to be getting a new pair of skis too and thinking of 110ish underfoot.

The used market is barren right now but the shops in Whis are discounting pretty enticingly.

I thought the Radicals were bullet proof. Guess not! Given that I am over 200lbs, should the Beasts be put on the list? I'm still a rank beginner in the backcountry and don't plan on putting out any ski films for at least the next year or seven. I might take them to the resort for shits and giggles the odd day but will ski accordingly.

Lionel, how do you like the Wailers? I'm trying hard to not want them but am failing miserably. I'm probably going to rent a pair of RP2 Hybrids this weekend.

What are you using now with the AT boots, Baron/Duke? I too am looking to get some gear, but realistically will be 80% resort riding with the kid-lets. Considering some Faction Candide 4.0 in 190cm with Marker Duke to see how things go.

Feb. 10, 2015, 7:50 p.m.

I picked up Tyrolia Aaaaaaaaaadrenalines from Fanatyko at the end of last year. They were selling them for $270ish I believe. They had this years there so the same deal might be incoming.

Feb. 10, 2015, 7:53 p.m.

I picked up Tyrolia Aaaaaaaaaadrenalines from Fanatyko at the end of last year. They were selling them for $270ish I believe. They had this years there so the same deal might be incoming.

I was checking those out online. Their website sucks, but they look good.

Feb. 10, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

My buddy is 140, I am 160 and the guide is a whopping 168 and we all got 1 ski boot in the grave so we are far from crazy but we do ski a LOT, I think the verts are way more bullet proof than the Rads and if you are 200+ you need din 12 SO if i was you in the market and a little fatter … I would go used vert FT or ION

As for skis I was an early adopter of the 112Wailer back when people came up to you and asked if they were really that good!! (as what they read on the interent)they are pretty good ski if you like the 5 point design (I also have the 5 point JJ) but I much prefer the lotus 120 in bamboo over the wailer 112

I own 2 pair of Verts and a pair of rads … I wish I had 3 pair of Verts

Feb. 10, 2015, 8:45 p.m.

My buddy is 140, I am 160 and the guide is a whopping 168 and we all got 1 ski boot in the grave so we are far from crazy but we do ski a LOT, I think the verts are way more bullet proof than the Rads and if you are 200+ you need din 12 SO if i was you in the market and a little fatter … I would go used vert FT or ION

As for skis I was an early adopter of the 112Wailer back when people came up to you and asked if they were really that good!! (as what they read on the interent)they are pretty good ski if you like the 5 point design (I also have the 5 point JJ) but I much prefer the lotus 120 in bamboo over the wailer 112

I own 2 pair of Verts and a pair of rads … I wish I had 3 pair of Verts

Alright, thanks for the beta. Ion's will be at the top of the list. Assuming the Kingpins get fixed, they're of the beefier variety right?

As for the 120's, you only ski nipple deep right? At this point I'm happy when I have four centimetres fresh underneath.

Feb. 10, 2015, 9:42 p.m.

What are you using now with the AT boots, Baron/Duke? I too am looking to get some gear, but realistically will be 80% resort riding with the kid-lets. Considering some Faction Candide 4.0 in 190cm with Marker Duke to see how things go.

I was checking those out online. Their website sucks, but they look good.

Im on the Guardian 16's. Theyre taking a pounding on 99% inbounds so far, with not a single issue. Only had skins on twice so far and they walk just fine too.

Still dont trust pinner binders….specially now that xxx'er managed to break one.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 10, 2015, 9:54 p.m.

Im on the Guardian 16's. Theyre taking a pounding on 99% inbounds so far, with not a single issue. Only had skins on twice so far and they walk just fine too.

Still dont trust pinner binders….specially now that xxx'er managed to break one.

Good to know.

Feb. 11, 2015, 12:29 a.m.

almost^^ balls deep on a good day actualy

the lotus 120 is a little more traditional in its turn than the wailer, does everything from a 43 M turn but willl slarve down to sliding sideways like a snow board, the tips do not sink while I could sink the wailer tips, lotus is great in breakable crust … if you want a DPS the lotus IME just does everything better than the wailer but everybody has a hard-on for the wailer

yes the kingpin should be a little more beefier than the dynafit or ION, it is also a little heavier, the Guardian is WAY heavier at 2.96 kg compared to a kg or less for most of the tech bindings which also walk better because the pivot is closer to the ball of the foot.

If you are really going to get at touring only the tech will do but maybe you need to ask yerself if you really need them … are you going to tour?

One year My guide buddy broke break trail in knee to waist deep snow for 50 days in a row, I might tour 60 days a year which includes 2 or 3 hut trips and the last 2 years the 24 hr event/all the training, for us a frame binding of any kind is just way too fucking heavy.

the broken top plate is a known problem on the radical, I got warranty but not sure what I will do next time …maybe time to sell them on a ski or sft

TB doesn't have the Tech compatible boots also he has so many kids that he can't afford to cloth becuz we don't have a walmart so he is on the budget and I understand why he is on the guardian but that doesn't make it a better touring binding just the one he can afford … and all he needs

Feb. 11, 2015, 5:13 a.m.

:lol:

my comment was aimed towards Leggat there.

Lotsa chargers on pinner traps up here for sure,I just still dont trust them.

As for the weight of the Salomons,I dont notice it one bit.

Pastor of Muppets