Switzerland, December, Suggestions

Sept. 27, 2010, 12:51 p.m.

Hey,

I'm on exchange in the Netherlands until christmas and was thinking that while I'm over here I might try to get in a weekend of skiing in mid December. I did some googling but I'm at a loss on where to start exactly. Does anyone have any suggestions on resorts to look into or any other useful information. Thanks

Sept. 27, 2010, 1:31 p.m.

Portes du Soleil. There's enough terrain there to keep you occupied for a couple of weeks. I did 13 days there in 2006 starting at Champery and skiing out and back through Avoriaz, truly amazing.

Sept. 27, 2010, 1:34 p.m.

Mid December can be tricky for snow in the alps. Take 4 days off and hit somewhere high and snow sure like Tignes or Val Thorens in France or Saas Fee in Switzerland.

If it's been dumping, Verbier in Switzerland is really good but not as high. Fly to Geneva and get a train to Le Chable via Martigny and then jump on the gondi in the valley bottom up to Verbier village proper.

"Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds" - George Whitebread.

Sept. 27, 2010, 2:52 p.m.

engelberg if there's snow and you have some ballz, a partner, and avy safety skillz.

Sept. 29, 2010, 4:37 a.m.

Make sure you check the snow report first, i've been to the French alpes twice end of December and the snow sucked big time.
So make sure you are somewhere high and check the snow report first…

Sept. 29, 2010, 10:01 a.m.

Contact sethimus of these very boards - he could give you some info.

Whereabouts are you in the Netherlands?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 29, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

Make sure you check the snow report first, i've been to the French alpes twice end of December and the snow sucked big time.
So make sure you are somewhere high and check the snow report first…

this.. i got skunked in austria for 3 weeks a couple of years back (actually while I was at school in the Netherlands as well).
Mind you, skunked meant i was skiing in beautiful high pressure sunshine from hut to hut eating kaas-nochle (there is now way that spelling is correct), drinking wonderful austrian beer and homemade schnapps :)

Sept. 29, 2010, 10:17 a.m.

this.. i got skunked in austria for 3 weeks a couple of years back (actually while I was at school in the Netherlands as well).
Mind you, skunked meant i was skiing in beautiful high pressure sunshine from hut to hut eating kaas-nochle (there is now way that spelling is correct), drinking wonderful austrian beer and homemade schnapps :)

Kas gnoccies or gnoccerln, me thinks. But this is waay down south, the biggest zoo in Europe.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 29, 2010, 10:39 a.m.

Kas gnoccies or gnoccerln, me thinks. But this is waay down south, the biggest zoo in Europe.

my mouth is salivating just thinking about it. :drool:

just to share the awesome-ness:

Oct. 24, 2010, 7:17 p.m.

maybe try serre chervalier, its down near the Italian boarder in the southern alps. again like most of the alps its massive and normally gets very good snow. they also sell a galaxy pass there so you can ski all the other resorts locally, this includes alpe d'huez and les deux alpes both of witch have lifts to well over 3000m

Oct. 28, 2010, 10:12 p.m.

hoteldubez.com Great place to stay in Serre Chervalier

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"