splitboarding DIY - anyone done this?

Dec. 26, 2019, 10:27 a.m.

Has anyone here split a board for use? I’m not looking to hit backcountry quite yet, but marching round the edge of Symphony bowl looks like it would be a lot easier if I split my burton fish in half instead of carried it....

Or the other side is I can slowly pick bits up, but it certainly adds up for something that won’t see as much use as my other boards.

Dec. 26, 2019, 12:19 p.m.

lots of good info here:

http://splitboard.com/talk/forum/diy-and-mods/

imo for the hassle and cost of diy'ing your own split it's worth looking at some used gear instead.

Dec. 26, 2019, 3:23 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Has anyone here split a board for use? I’m not looking to hit backcountry quite yet, but marching round the edge of Symphony bowl looks like it would be a lot easier if I split my burton fish in half instead of carried it....

Or the other side is I can slowly pick bits up, but it certainly adds up for something that won’t see as much use as my other boards.

Are you saying cut the thing on a table saw and rig it to be a split board? I'm not even going to google it, bad idea out of the gate. Don't wanna know.

Dec. 26, 2019, 4:46 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Are you saying cut the thing on a table saw and rig it to be a split board? I'm not even going to google it, bad idea out of the gate. Don't wanna know.

Hahaha, I have to say, I'm leaning to that as well. I have a fish sitting around and if anyone was "yeah super easy and well worth it" then I'd be on it, but a little voice was in my ear to be echoes by you.

Looking at how little symphony is getting I figure I'll have a good year to build up some kit.

Dec. 26, 2019, 6 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Posted by: Brocklanders

Hahaha, I have to say, I'm leaning to that as well. I have a fish sitting around and if anyone was "yeah super easy and well worth it" then I'd be on it, but a little voice was in my ear to be echoes by you.

Looking at how little symphony is getting I figure I'll have a good year to build up some kit.

Would love to see how it all turns out. If you have an old board with nothing to lose give it a go. Love to see the end result and ride review.

Dec. 26, 2019, 7:19 p.m.

Are you factoring in the new bindings to the math? Because even a DIY split is going to need new bindings.

Voile sells a kit for it, and some shops offer splitting as a service. Seems like a lot of work if you don't plan on touring with it eventually, but I'd also love to hear how it turns out.

Dec. 26, 2019, 7:38 p.m.

yeah, adding in all the other parts is a given, but if I can split and finish a board I have sitting around, might be a win...

Dec. 29, 2019, 11:48 a.m.

I made my own using the voile kit and an old board that was collecting dust. You don't have to get split specific bindings either as the kit come with a plate which will accept a normal pair, however it does raise the bindings up slightly so you aren't right onto of the deck anymore.

It's actually quite simple to do, the hardest part I found (other than sawing a perfectly good board in half) was deciding on stance and angles as those are basically fixed.

I used it for both avy courses and a pretty light touring season before commiting to a production split board and had no complaints on ride quality etc. I can't say it came out perfect but my take is that it was a pretty fun project to build it up and dip my toes into touring before investing in split specific gear, so if you can't find anything second-hand you like and you've got a board to use then why not?

Dec. 29, 2019, 7:55 p.m.

I Don't know about  snow boards but  with ski gear buying a lightly used setup which includes bindings/skins/tax already paid  is pretty fcuking cheap  often 1/3rd of the list price

It was a thing back in the day and you can probably find a YOOtoob showing how to split yer board 

but I don't hear about too many people rolling their own nowadays

my take is that back in the day they were more expensive to buy but now there are more used setups

cuz enough people have tried touring and then realize they walk forever

and never find the bar

Jan. 8, 2020, 4:44 a.m.

Does your Fish use the Channel system or 3D inserts?  

I recall DTM in Utah wouldn’t Split Burton boards for this reason. 

For the effort and the kit cost you could likely find something on local B&S groups, bus shelter message boards or demo/blemishes for not much more. Especially if you can get some money for selling the fish. 

Just a thought. 

I have a Sick Stick from a few seasons back that came from factory as a splitable solid. Supposed to have a P-TEX stronger down the middle or something.

Jan. 12, 2020, 5:35 p.m.

That's interesting about the Burtons, but it's using the 'standard' non-channel setup so might not be an issue if I decide to go that way, but like a lot of people have mentioned, get a splitboard as a complete off one of the snow forums.

Now I'm thinking about taking a jigsaw to it and cutting a deep swallowtail into it instead, haha