Splitboard or snowshoes?

Jan. 8, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

As a compleat backcountry novice, I rarely hear anyone talk about just using snowshoes as opposed to splitboards and skins to access the backcountry.

Is this because splitboards/skins are a thousand times faster/easier?

Jan. 8, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

IMO if you're new to backcountry then snowshoes are a good way to get into it for a few reasons; you won't hike as far into the middle of nowhere and will probably stay in areas with a well established skin track that's already been skied alot so you're less likely to get yourself into areas you shouldn't be in or get lost in the middle of nowhere. You'll get in super-awesome shape lugging your board around too.

I spent the past 3 seasons on snowshoes, doing up to 4hr hikes a few times a week with the board strapped to my back was okay, but alot of work. It was a good way to get into the backcountry, learn about terrain selection and safety. Most of the hikes I was doing during that time were shorter laps with a good skin track in/out of the area. At a certain point I was becoming limited by where I could go, not because of my experience or ability but because breaking trail on snowshoes sucks bigtime….and that was when I knew it was time to get a Splitboard.

This year I bought a Splitboard, it's probably the best purchase I've made in my life (up there with bikes). I'm no longer limited to sticking to a skin track, I can explore new areas and literally, my legs are the limit to my adventures. I really, really stress that without the past 3 seasons of "learning" that went on with snowshoes it would be WAY too easy to get myself into places I shouldn't be going and become another statistic in the count of avalanche deaths.

just my .02

Jan. 8, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

splitboards make touring more efficient and there for enjoyable.

and then you not the douche bag on snow shoes butchering the skin track. I joke I joke, as long as your "out there" tm its all good.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 8, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

splitty all the way. sooooo much faster. if you go out with skiers/other splitters, you will not be able to keep up on slowshoes.

Jan. 8, 2014, 7:21 p.m.

Sometimes I do slack country on snowshoes so I can ride my solid. But every time I do I get a little grumpy going up because snowshoes strait up suck in deep snow. Find a used split and you will be much happier.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Jan. 8, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

Thanks guys

Jan. 8, 2014, 8:24 p.m.

Get a split then we can go do some trekzzzzzzzz!!!

Oh and avi gear too!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 11, 2014, 6:09 p.m.

Even better: get skis! :dizzy:

Jan. 16, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

If you've got the cash and you know you're committed and sticking to it, go with a split. Snowshoes suck ass. Like killclimbz said, they do have a place, but 95% of the time, the split will be the better option.

Business Coach

Jan. 16, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

^killclimbz? I think you think you're a different forum…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 16, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

On the upside, snowshoes are relatively inexpensive and when you're laden with other expenses to get out in the BC (decent pack, avy course, avy gear) you can make good use of your existing equipment. They're simple to understand and manage at a time when you're busy trying to understand the changing terrain, reading the snow, managing hazards, fuelling yourself, etc.

On the downside you are always carrying a lot of stuff (snowboard on the way up, snowshoes on the way down). And they're just not very quick compared to sliding.

I looked at the reality of splitboards and decided to take up skiing. After 20 years of snowboarding it's fun to learn something new and I'm finding with the new generations of skis that the powder performance is totally fine. Plus I am really enjoying not being all twisted up all the time and then being able to walk out of spots when I get stuck.

Either way, more tools for fun is always good.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 16, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

Proper tools are always better.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 16, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

splitboarding takes some time to be good at it. arts and crafts below freezing. plus floundering around in deep snow with your feet tied together takes some getting used to if you have only ever ridden the resort. I do enjoy skiing my splitboard in low angle terrain. key to being a splitboarder in knowing how and when to ski.

and if your partners like to regroup in the middle of the flats, they need to be educated. good splitboarders and skiers who are fun to ride with know how to milk terrain to avoid the up hill shuffle.

P.S. made me think about a time I was taking a course with a guide. there were 3 splitters in the group. he had us all transition into downhill mode on the top of a ridge line, then then walked 30m further along the ridge before dropping in. leaving us post holing through tree wells. you got's to pick your partners wisely. skiers often don't get it.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 16, 2014, 8:09 p.m.

they are letting splitters into the guiding program and I toured with a splitter assistant guide last season

he was on some old fairly soft hard boots and buddy ALWAYS had the poles out

Jan. 20, 2014, 11:26 p.m.

Splitz all the way, but as mentioned above, it's good to start on snowshoes since they limit your exposure a bit.

Split your own board, way cheaper. As long as you are capabe with a skillsaw and are meticulous, it will turn out. There's a guy in Whistler that sells the components…I think it's $150 for the package.

:canada: :swiss: