Splitboard or snowshoes?

Jan. 22, 2014, 10:07 a.m.

Not sure I buy the argument that snowshoes limit your exposure to avalanches. If your going into the backcountry take an avy course and have a transceiver,shovel,probe and partner.

Jan. 22, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

Did a lot of snowshoeing up and boarding down last year (when we had snow on the island), and while it works, it's really not the ideal way to do things. Lots of work, and it's frustrating to see friends skin by you with much less effort. I would have picked up a touring setup if we'd gotten snow like last year but now I'm glad I didn't put the money down as the season isn't shaping up very well out here.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 22, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

Splitz all the way, but as mentioned above, it's good to start on snowshoes since they limit your exposure a bit.

Split your own board, way cheaper. As long as you are capabe with a skillsaw and are meticulous, it will turn out. There's a guy in Whistler that sells the components…I think it's $150 for the package.

I hope you mean table saw…

And ReductiMat would then be needing to purchase 2 boards afterwards. A new resort board, and a proper split, since his resort board would likely turn into a wet noodle, and I don't know how successful people have become splitting Burtons Channel Lock system shred sticks.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 22, 2014, 4:43 p.m.

Skillsaw is better than table saw for splitting , not very many snowboards have completely straight edges that would run along a table saw fence nicely. Splitting the board might be scary but its the easiest step. As long as you make one cut and its in the middle the halves will fit together nicely. Getting the clips and tail hooks dialed so it stays tight while riding is way more difficult and important.

Jan. 22, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

I seem to recall when I thought cutting a board in half was a good idea that people were making up jigs to split the boards on tablesaws. Down the Middle is the closest I'd go to a DIY, and even then its now a SomeoneDidItThemself. This guy does really top quality work, but really unless there is some board that is non-existent in the split world, doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Anyway, never heard of a skill saw. Unless you people want him to use a bandsaw, or a reciprocating saw, or a handheld circular saw? Which one is it?

Plus, Im sure ReductiMat is on a Burton Sherlock which has a single Channel Lock Binding system that runs right down the middle of the board. Im sure hes looking for a splitboard and not some swiss cheese art project.

Jan. 22, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1000085697/uncategorized/how-to-make-a-splitboard-with-dirksen/. I didnt know you could do this….

Jan. 22, 2014, 5:38 p.m.

Thanks for all the input folks.

At this point, I just want some fucking snow.

Does back country gear go on sale near the end of the season like all of the other crap?

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:16 p.m.

I've cut a couple snowboards in half, using a skill saw and a jig. you need some tools and good epoxy to do a good job of it and its nit picky work. have not attempted to put an inside edge in yet. if your going to go that far buy a proper split board. if you have an old board and your on a budget the DIY thing can work.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

I doubt the burton sherlock would make a good split. I bought a cheap wood core snowboard and split it. the whole thing cost me just over 200 bucks and it worked great. Actually I still use it as a rock board. I don't know how much snowshoes are these days but I'm guessing they ain't cheap.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=16

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:50 p.m.

Yeah, I got my Hovercraft on the cheap year end from store on 4th, no idea if it exists anymore or not. Looks like Boardroom has select splits on sale now. Most of those shops down there sell splits too, but most likely their safety gear selection is limited.

Exxcess Backcountry has pretty good pricing on G3 skins, or backcountry.com has relabelled G3 skins for like $30 less.
No idea if the safety gear is discounted or not. Im sure a good shop would be willing to work with you on setting up a package and knocking some dollars off though

Boards get discounted due to BNG for the next season, binders look to be that unless they're clearing out an older model seem to hold their value.

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:52 p.m.

Punky, you absolutely can't use a Burton to split, you are correct. We split 3 boards with a skilsaw, they all turned out perfect. You can't use a table saw because the edges of a snowboard aren't straight right through.
A photo of the new edges getting varnished.

I didn't mean to imply that snowshoes would limit your exposure to avalanches. I made the rash assumption that people in the backcountry are vigilant to their surroundings and well prepared.
I meant that snowshoes aren't the easiest way to get out there, and a person might choose an easier location, less steep, less exposed, simply to stop having to go up on snowshoes. :)

:canada: :swiss:

Jan. 22, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

Im sure hes looking for a splitboard and not some swiss cheese art project.

Did you just call me Swiss Cheese???

:canada: :swiss:

Jan. 22, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

Either that or an art project. Take your pick;)

Jan. 22, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

Punky, you absolutely can't use a Burton to split, you are correct. We split 3 boards with a skilsaw, they all turned out perfect. You can't use a table saw because the edges of a snowboard aren't straight right through.

You'd be able to use a table saw to cut it, you would just need to rig up a decent sliding jig to hold the board which would sit in the table rail.

Just saw on instagram that Salomon are releasing a new 4 part split board. You guys heard much about it?

Jan. 22, 2014, 9:43 p.m.

Spoken from someone who still has yet to ride a splitboard, how can having more separate bits you have to bolt together be a good thing?