Socially Awkward Terje

Oct. 29, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

Not sure how this dodged the radar of NSMB. Socially awkward Terje addresses his comments on Twitter last weekend regarding Gus Kenworthy coming out as a gay freeskier.

http://www.snowboarder.com/featured/socially-awkward-terje-haakonsen-addresses-tweet-heard-round-action-sports-world/#JCFBFKBWLgP2oxhw.97

Oct. 29, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

I saw that a few days ago.
Still unsure about it.

No news on here about Gus coming out either…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 29, 2015, 11:15 p.m.

I don't know Terje, but I would guess either his english is dulling his thoughts (assuming it's a second language), or he thinks a little too highly of his opinions on certain matters.

Oct. 30, 2015, 8:53 a.m.

I don't know Terje, but I would guess either his english is dulling his thoughts (assuming it's a second language), or he thinks a little too highly of his opinions on certain matters.

I have huge respect for everything Terje has done but I agree. I think it's a litte of column A and a little of column B. Column B stemming from the fact that he was a child prodigy who went pro when he was 15. Terje dropped out of school after jr high and was raised by the Burton Team in the early 90s. Like Justin Bieber and other kids who grow up in the limelight you end up with some pretty f**ked up adults when you spend your teenage years like these people do. Terje has navigated all of this better than the Biebs but I think a great deal of it is because he isn't under constant media scrutiny. I'm sure if the lens was pointed at him all the time you would see many more instances of poor judgement.

Awesome picture of a young Terje though.

Oct. 30, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

…Terje…

Who?

Ride, don't slide.

Oct. 30, 2015, 2:17 p.m.

I am a skier and I am pretty ghey.

:lol: Totes.

Oct. 30, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

Terje dropped out of school after jr high and was raised by the Burton Team in the early 90s.

Jesus.. I had no idea.

I'm now willing to go 75-90% column B.

Oct. 30, 2015, 5:08 p.m.

So some kid named Gus "came out".

Who gives a fuck? And why do people still feel the need to come out?

Love,live and fuck whoever you want. Nobody who matters,cares.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 31, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

I missed the hoopla, but that shit is funny. Terje's opinion only matters if some one thinks it matters. and being that some one asked him a bunch of questions about his opinion, someone must think it matters. otherwise he's just some dick with an opinion, and sense of humour.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 31, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

[QUOTE=three sheets;2894416 Who gives a fuck? And why do people still feel the need to come out?

Maybe they luvs the color "Rainbow" ?

you could paint your toolbox rain bow in solidarity?

Oct. 31, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

And why do people still feel the need to come out?

How many gay pro, extreme sports stars do you know of?

Does homophobia exist?

What kind of toll would it take on you to hide your sexual preference from the world when you are a public figure?

How many gay youths commit suicide due to their sexual preference?

I've never been gay, and at this point it's pretty much a lock that I'm vagitarian, and I gotta say I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

Just because your small circle of friends 'is cool with it' means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

As long as Conversion Therapy exists in First World countries we're still a Third World country when it comes to how we treat our countrymen.

FFS, people still think it's a fucking choice.

Oct. 31, 2015, 8:31 p.m.

How many gay pro, extreme sports stars do you know of?

Does homophobia exist?

What kind of toll would it take on you to hide your sexual preference from the world when you are a public figure?

How many gay youths commit suicide due to their sexual preference?

I've never been gay, and at this point it's pretty much a lock that I'm vagitarian, and I gotta say I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

Just because your small circle of friends 'is cool with it' means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

As long as Conversion Therapy exists in First World countries we're still a Third World country when it comes to how we treat our countrymen.

FFS, people still think it's a fucking choice.

1- I personally know five gay folks in "extreme" sports,current and retired.

2- yes it exists….see point about people who matter.

3- Your sexual preference has no bearing on your sport performance. Who you love is nobody's business,unless you choose to make it tabloid fodder.

4- people don't kill themselves because they are gay,they do it because people are dicks.

As for the rest of your post,see my point about people who matter.The bigots are noisy,yet worthless.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 31, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

Not sure where it fits in all of this but Terje's wife was married to another woman before marrying him. So yeah, maybe being gay in Scandinavian countries isn't a big deal.

Odd that he chose his twitter account, which has 1/3 of the followers and way less activity than his IG and FB accounts to make a joke.

Oct. 31, 2015, 11:32 p.m.

As for the rest of your post,see my point about people who matter.The bigots are noisy,yet worthless.

It takes a generation of talking about something for attitudes to change.

My wife and daughters watched the reboot of Hairspray, a movie filmed during racial segregation period in the US. They couldn't wrap their heads around it and were genuinely confused. If we keep on this path, hopefully their kids will feel the same way about homophobia.

Nov. 4, 2015, 11:55 p.m.

Burton's business plan seems to heavily revolve around paying 16 yr olds to travel around the world sliding on lunch trays.