Socially Awkward Terje

Oct. 3, 2021, 2:51 p.m.

Burton decided to cancel Terje for this just now.

Oct. 4, 2021, 10:08 a.m.

He's 46, Jesus. That interview sounds like a petulant 12 year old. No wonder Burton told him to go stand in the corner.

That's a bit heart breaking, I remember him back in the day.

---------------------

"Terje took to Twitter hours after Gus’s announcement and tweeted, “no, @btoddrichards did this 20 years ago & isn’t all skiiers gay; i’m heterosexual #soSpesial.”

Oct. 4, 2021, 10:31 a.m.

Well if Burton did drop him it was in silence because I see nothing on the web about it.

Craig Kelly

Jeff Brushie

Terje

Jason Ford 

Those guys were rock stars.

Oct. 5, 2021, 12:12 p.m.

Poorly handled but in some ways I kind of agree with half of what Terje is saying. 

Who cares? When I follow some extreme sports athlete on IG etc. what difference des it make who they are sleeping with? 

I can appreciate coming out to friends and family etc. is a big deal.. but a press release across multiple media platforms at the same time comes across as being primarily for gaining publicity and followers etc.

Oct. 6, 2021, 5:11 p.m.

The short answer to "who cares?" is every person who is not cis/straight and feels maligned because far too many people in N.A. society still look at people who don't fit the "normal" definitions of sexuality as somehow inferior or less worthy can gain strength from seeing people who are similar to them stepping forward and being proud of their identity.

Oct. 6, 2021, 8:19 p.m.

Thanks for typing that. 

The list of purposefully obtuse excuses to avoid civility and inclusion is endless, and sadly unoriginal.

Oct. 6, 2021, 8:42 p.m.

It's challenging to deal with, and I think the idea of "just figure it out" is not one that makes it easy for people to actually figure out why using terms like gay or ghey as insults are problematic. We have all been conditioned by various elements - parents, peers, media, role models, etc - both consciously and unconsciously and breaking out of that conditioning is not easy. That's not an excuse to be a dick or purposefully ignorant, but it is something to be considered when talking about these sorts of social issues if affecting change is a goal.

Oct. 7, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

I think Terje is close to if not 50 now.  The comment was made six years ago.  He made two public statements about that tweet over the years.  Burton said/did little to nothing until this contract ended; no idea if he was on a 6+yr contract as a mid-40s lifetime rider or what. Didn't make any announcement as to why they didn't continue or ended their relationship with him after ~35 years which is odd.  And likely where the uproar is coming from. 

Anyway; was interesting to see all the former Burton Pros and other industry people posting their Terje stance a few days ago. 

Some of what he said might've been lost in translation; others might be from being a preteen/teen prodigy like so many other Burton Pro riders. He didn't get the instant cancel a la Nicolas Müller who was dropped by all sponsors and now deleted all IG his posts...