SNOWLINE TIME!!!!

Sept. 27, 2016, 7:53 a.m.

Going with these ambitions this winter.
Super similar to the freerides. Mine are burned out and broke down on me twice last winter.

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/Tyrolia-Ambition-12-Binding-Review

Sweet looking clamps; nicely engineered.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 27, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

Sweet looking clamps; nicely engineered.

Comes in Carbon too. Only 998.00 US… Ouch
http://www.backcountry.com/tyrolia-aaambition-12-carbon-touring-binding?rr=t

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 27, 2016, 11 a.m.

looks^^ not so bad, the one size fits all is great for the user and the retailer only needs to stock one size

the riser looks good

I wonder does it use any forward preload? the FR+ does not have any forward preload and that makes a difference

Sept. 27, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

Comes in Carbon too. Only 998.00 US… Ouch
http://www.backcountry.com/tyrolia-aaambition-12-carbon-touring-binding?rr=t

Wow, that's pretty spendy. I guess if you're going to go this route one has to go full postal on everything - equal level of performance-to-weight ratios, etc. in order to justify the expense. No sense getting the "one bling thing" only to have it adversely blended with lesser-than kit overall.

Just my thinking, I'd stick with the alloy and hey, whatever's heavier just makes you stronger anyway.

Sept. 28, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

Wow, that's pretty spendy. I guess if you're going to go this route one has to go full postal on everything - equal level of performance-to-weight ratios, etc. in order to justify the expense. No sense getting the "one bling thing" only to have it adversely blended with lesser-than kit overall.

Just my thinking, I'd stick with the alloy and hey, whatever's heavier just makes you stronger anyway.

Yeah will stick with the alloy. Skis they are going on are nothing special but the sidecut to the binding height seems to work best for me.
Going to order some soon, but may wait for Black Friday sales online. Have family in Seattle so US mail address is sorted.
Have to say the Fristchi FR's were pretty bomb proof but after 8 years of use two cracked heal and a broken toe piece ( plastic is going brittle). Time to put them on the wall.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 28, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

Yeah will stick with the alloy. Skis they are going on are nothing special but the sidecut to the binding height seems to work best for me.
Going to order some soon, but may wait for Black Friday sales online. Have family in Seattle so US mail address is sorted.
Have to say the Fristchi FR's were pretty bomb proof but after 8 years of use two cracked heal and a broken toe piece ( plastic is going brittle). Time to put them on the wall.

I heard BlackDiamond was going to cease as a company after 2016.

Anyone else heard this??

I'm less a skinner. I'll be honest, I'll bootpack a section if necessary, but backcountry isn't my gig - unless it's sled powered. Which isn't entirely necessary when you've got the variety of terrain we do here on the two local mountains (and all the gems that aren't so well known, ahem). But I'm gold for a seriously long huff if need be a la boot-to-snow.

Rambling…

Sept. 29, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

I heard BlackDiamond was going to cease as a company after 2016.

Anyone else heard this??

I'm less a skinner. I'll be honest, I'll bootpack a section if necessary, but backcountry isn't my gig - unless it's sled powered. Which isn't entirely necessary when you've got the variety of terrain we do here on the two local mountains (and all the gems that aren't so well known, ahem). But I'm gold for a seriously long huff if need be a la boot-to-snow.

Rambling…

Hadn't heard that BD reduced a bunch of product types fairly recently cuz they were carrying too many sku's

sled just seems like a whole bunch of extra hassles to me but if people observe land use plans have at er

Sept. 29, 2016, 7:52 a.m.

sled just seems like a whole bunch of extra hassles to me but if people observe land use plans have at er

Sleds are a pain the ass - and most of the time become more of the focus than the sport of skiing itself. They cost a lot, come with a lot of expensive necessities such as trailer hitches, avi beacons (extra), modded tracks, the list goes on. And gas. And more gas containers. And repairs. It's ridiculous.

I'm just fortunate enough to know a group of alpine sled-heads that offer to take me up on big pow days and let me drop lines while they do their kinda silly beer brained hill climbs and other "manly" stuff.

Land use respect? Highly doubtful. It's a redneck sport for the winter months. Rednecks don't give a rats ass about land use parameters. Honey badger don't give a shit.

Sept. 29, 2016, 7:53 a.m.

5 year old setup going strong. Next year, a snowbike setup maybe. Anyone ride these things?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 29, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

Sleds are a pain the ass - and most of the time become more of the focus than the sport of skiing itself. They cost a lot, come with a lot of expensive necessities such as trailer hitches, avi beacons (extra), modded tracks, the list goes on. And gas. And more gas containers. And repairs. It's ridiculous.

I'm just fortunate enough to know a group of alpine sled-heads that offer to take me up on big pow days and let me drop lines while they do their kinda silly beer brained hill climbs and other "manly" stuff.

Land use respect? Highly doubtful. It's a redneck sport for the winter months. Rednecks don't give a rats ass about land use parameters. Honey badger don't give a shit.

pretty much ^^ also you failed to mention the higher vehicle costs to transport everything and you still need aviy gear anyhow but … might as well leave the skis at home

Sept. 29, 2016, 12:55 p.m.

5 year old setup going strong. Next year, a snowbike setup maybe. Anyone ride these things?

\With skis on your feet, what…?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 29, 2016, 10:45 p.m.

Guess a kickstand is kinda pointless, eh?

Oct. 7, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

http://www.sandrah.biz/mountainweather/index.php#.V_gcacnQrIV

5 cms at the hill ^^ should make running a saw interesting tomorrow

Oct. 11, 2016, 7:49 a.m.

I ride one but not a fancy Carbon fiber yeti skid. switched over from a sled and loving it, but im a moto riding redneck. I need to find someone who has one who wants to do some bike accessed ski touring. I have found some amazing zones you can access on a snowbike.

Dynastar Chams 97 with beast 14s and going to try some Blizzard Zero G's for bigger days when im non rednecking it.

Oct. 13, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

figure since it's starting to snow up high so I might drop in here from time to time again.

60cm in the forecast up high over the next couple days, there was maybe 10cm the other day…lookin like a great start to the year so far :woot:

no ski pass this year, just the same old split, same old legs and same old lungs to get me into the backcountry

Talking about doing a sled co-op with my main touring partner for next year. Did the math and for less than the cost of a ski pass each year we can finance a new machine that won't (should't) break down or give us any grief until it's time to sell and buy something new again.

But that's next year. For now, let it snow :)