Snowboarder caught in slide in Whistler.

Jan. 12, 2017, 8:35 p.m.

Plenty of analysis going on:

Snowboard Canada.com Yesterday’s Avalanche: Why it Could Have Been Avoided

Mountain Skills Academy Making Sense of the January 11 Viral Avalanche Video

Jan. 13, 2017, 7:58 a.m.

Just thought back to this tragedy. So sad

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzT15-oQq0

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 13, 2017, 8:11 a.m.

yeah, but to be fair it was like -20 up there yesterday, I'd imagine it was more the wind slab deposit from the outflow winds that picked up the night before

plus this time of year the angel of incidence is too low for the sun to have much effect.

this just popped up in the morning facebook scan.

https://www.mountainskillsacademy.com/making-sense-january-11-viral-avalanche-video/

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 13, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

Frustrating to see lots of comments like this on FB.

Hey back country friends like XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX maybe get one of these backpacks? :) Stay safe!!!!

Maybe don't put yourself on a slope that's going to pop. I'd like to see the sales data for airbags after this. I bet theirs a sales spike. Knowledge is more important then the tech of an airbag.

Jan. 13, 2017, 11:34 a.m.

Maybe don't put yourself on a slope that's going to pop. I'd like to see the sales data for airbags after this. I bet theirs a sales spike. Knowledge is more important then the tech of an airbag.

How about both? education, knowledge, equipment, etc.. are just tools, not guarantees. Many pro guides get caught as well.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Jan. 13, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

Couldnt agree more. An airbag is an absolute last resort, not a method of mitigating risk.Ill probably never use one due to the fact i dont put myself in situations where i might need one anymore…Ill stick to studying the snowpack and making thoughtful choices.

Im glad sites like the ones Paul B linked to are taking the time to make this an educational tool. I hope they get as many page views as the youtube video.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 13, 2017, 11:52 a.m.

Do you see airbags much inbounds at Whistler? we seen them alot in Niseko which was mostly fairly lowangle .

I don't think one should plan on pulling the rip cord as a tool for aviy survival

I don't plan to get one

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:09 p.m.

With that reasoning, why use beacons? I've been out with some old timers that don't use them. The only reason I will not buy one is they are way too expensive.

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:19 p.m.

How about both? education, knowledge, equipment, etc.. are just tools, not guarantees. Many pro guides get caught as well.

i don't think he's arguing against both, but saying that the safety tech is not a replacement for good knowledge and a proper assessment of the conditions - which was definitely not the case with the plonker in the vid.

if i had to pick one i'd go with smarts over an avy pack any day.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:21 p.m.

With that reasoning, why use beacons? I've been out with some old timers that don't use them. The only reason I will not buy one is they are way too expensive.

$350-$450 for something that could save your life or the life of one of your friends and should last for about 5-8 years works out to about $50/season - that's pretty cheap protection.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:23 p.m.

well does buddy with his new toy then proceed to take more risks either on purpose or even subconsciously because they are now protected, is that what happened in the vid which i didn't actualy vue ?

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:29 p.m.

Fair question…i know my response will sound cocky,but a beacon has two functions. I am fairly conservative in my backcountry travels these days and am very careful about my choices. My beacon is primarily on my hip for its search function. I cant toss a guy an airbag if i need to find him.

No piece of avi ppe or info should be considered to be a personal lifesaver or should we think we are somehow safer by wearing it.

I'd be interested to know if the group in the video was wearing beacons/probe/shovels, were practiced in their use and were educated on the alpine conditions that day.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

$350-$450 for something that could save your life or the life of one of your friends and should last for about 5-8 years works out to about $50/season - that's pretty cheap protection.

all I'm saying is why limit yourself? it all helps. Specially if it's proven that it works. Don't be stupid but shit happen.

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:36 p.m.

all I'm saying is why limit yourself? it all helps. Specially if it's proven that it works. Don't be stupid but shit happen.

yeah for sure. but if it's a choice between spending a $1500 on an avy pack or $1000 on an AST course and having a beacon, probe and shovel then the choice for me at least is pretty obvious unlike the guy who got caught.

it seems that some people (not you) think that the gear is a replacement for knowledge and skill and it clearly isn't.

Ellen Langer

Jan. 13, 2017, 12:38 p.m.

well does buddy with his new toy then proceed to take more risks either on purpose or even subconsciously because they are now protected, is that what happened in the vid which i didn't actualy vue ?

if you've done an AST course or had equivalent training then probably not.

Ellen Langer