snowboard purchase advice

Feb. 12, 2008, 3:11 p.m.

All,

I'm looking to buy some snowboard equipment and looking for recommendations. I'm an advanced skier (ski pretty much anywhere) but pretty new to boarding (only 4 days so far - riding blues). Given the absurd size of my ski quiver (Katanas, Gotamas and B3s) I don't want to spend too much coin on a board - this is probably just a short term affectation. Any recommendations on where to get a deal and decent advice on the north shore?

thanks!

Feb. 12, 2008, 3:43 p.m.

Get a boot that fits you properly. Id head to west 4th as they have a wide selection of boots in comor/pac boarder, boardroom, westbeach and you coul probably find something that fits from there

As for a shop on the NS, I like second wave at the bottom of lonsdale, also the boardroom is located at upper lonsadale across from a big block drug store.

What type of riding do you do?

For the money Rome Arsenals are probably the best binder for the money out there at the moment, they are an older model 390(which is what I rock) If you wanted to spend more 390s, or even k2 formulas are appearantly just as good(from a friend who recomomended the 390s to me).
I like atomic boards as they are a good value for the money. Both rome and atomic can be found at second wave.

I say get the boots, and wait like 2 weeks to buy the board/binders as the spring sales will start happening pretty soon, and you can score a better deal

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 12, 2008, 4:10 p.m.

if your a skier you would probably appreciate Flow bindings, there midrange quality is affordable.

Feb. 12, 2008, 4:19 p.m.

North Shore Sports Swap usually has some very nice deals on barely used boots. Not no name/Sportchek brands, but good quality stuff. Same with Northshore Ski [HTML_REMOVED] Board (basement), although their prices are higher.

At least worth checking out.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 12, 2008, 6:14 p.m.

I will add two bits of advice to this, not brand realy brand related. I always, always buy last years stuff, at a bargain price. I typically save 30 to 50[HTML_REMOVED]#37; from doing this, but if you have that big of a ski quiver you already know this, unless your rich. Im riding a K2 ambush board, tech nine bindings, and burton hail boots. All of which i am very pleased with. Only other word of advice is get a board that is not extreamly stiff. Helped me when i was learning, easier to initiate turns. (i came from a ski back ground as well)

WTF, Over?

Feb. 12, 2008, 7:16 p.m.

you'll love snowboarding

want to sell those goats? ;)

Feb. 12, 2008, 7:42 p.m.

heres a tip, ski

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Feb. 12, 2008, 8:03 p.m.

thx for the advice all. i will try ns swap, or perhaps craigslist. definitely used or last year's seems to be the way to go given budgetary constraints.

for sure, i'm not giving up skiing. i live for skiing in the winter and riding in the summer but wanted to try snowboarding coz my wife's a novice skier and thought it would keep us at the same pace on blues. definitely fun learning a new sport.

I'd rather sell my first born than my Goats or Katanas - just kidding.

peace.

Feb. 12, 2008, 8:07 p.m.

heres a tip, ski

im a boarder who agrees. i am dying to get back on skis…i could have started teh same thread, with board to ski questions.i would like to keep both of them up though. i realy dont see enough negatives in either, to give one up completely
( i stopped sking to accomodate a knee injury)

WTF, Over?

Feb. 12, 2008, 8:09 p.m.

thx for the advice all. i will try ns swap, or perhaps craigslist. definitely used or last year's seems to be the way to go given budgetary constraints.

for sure, i'm not giving up skiing. i live for skiing in the winter and riding in the summer but wanted to try snowboarding coz my wife's a novice skier and thought it would keep us at the same pace on blues. definitely fun learning a new sport.

I'd rather sell my first born than my Goats or Katanas - just kidding.

peace.

Good call on trying something your new at when the wife is new to skiing.

Ever thought about starting tele?

That's what I'm thinking of starting next year when the lady switches back to skis from the board.

Feb. 12, 2008, 9:42 p.m.

Boots are the most important part of your set-up. Spend money on them and you will feel a big difference. Its probably the same as with ski boots but by boots that feel way to small, painfully small, because they will pack out. I've had a lot of different boots and right now I own a pair of Burton Sabbath's that I am very happy with.

Mountain Biking has given me the best friends in the world.