Smithers!!

Feb. 7, 2017, 8:38 a.m.

Looking for a ski mates for this Sat in Smithers

I'm (finally) headed to Smithers with my wife and we plan to do a few easier ski days together (Hankin-Evelyn area, maybe some short tours with her on snowshoes me on skis) but I'd love to do something bigger this Saturday (we arrive Wed night, leave Monday night) if I can find someone to tour with.

I like to climb and do longer tours but can easily do laps if the snow is good. Would be great to get up high and see what the area is like for future trips to Smithers.

I messaged Brian at Storknest Inn as a buddy told me he might be able to hook me up but I'm asking here as well in case there is someone on the board who is in Smithers and doesn't mind having me tag along.

Hope to visit in the summer one year too as I hear the riding is good.

Feb. 7, 2017, 10:40 a.m.

Unfortunately - you are heading to the desert my friend.

This year has not been kind to us northerners. Snow pack is as light as I can remember it ever being at this time of year. The province has literally turned on its head.

There is a chance of some precip on Sat/Sun but it isn't looking to be substantial and will be landing on a nice wind crust layer in most spots.

That being said - I would be happy to take a lap with you and I am sure there is still some good stuff to be had if one is to search, but I have family commitments this weekend. Send me a pm, if I hear of anyone going anywhere fun I will let you know.

Good luck

Feb. 7, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

Thanx L Hutz. Yes it's not looking good for my trip - normally I know you are a hot spot for snow but while the coast gets hammered, the Koots buried, Smithers remains clear. Sigh.

That said I'm happy to just tour - climb high, check out the area from the tops of mountains, tour along ridges and enjoy the mountains - I really love that actually. The suffering on the return down is relatively quick :)

Thanx though for the beta and thoughts :)

Feb. 7, 2017, 3:37 p.m.

http://www.sandrah.biz/mountainweather/index.php#.WJpYan0knIV

yeah as counselor mentioned^^ its low tide and its been fucking cold lately which should improve by weekend, the ski hill is not bad

Feb. 7, 2017, 4:23 p.m.

If you are happy to explore- you could give Hankin a try - the higher numbers get less traffic.

So up F - down 8A up 7 to the hut and down whatever - is a nice little loop, lots of exploring, nice views.

http://www.hankinmtn.com/about.html

If the vis is good and the wind isn't ripping - a trip up HBM past the crater is worth the trip. You basically start at/close to tree line so it is all alpine all day - which I like.

Feb. 7, 2017, 8:09 p.m.

Bri guy and his band of really old guys are suposed to be touring on thursday, probably go to Hankin, 8:30 at the storks nest p-lot, I might be there if the bubbles in my chest go away

Feb. 8, 2017, 9:46 a.m.

Thanx guys. Yes I talked (emailed) Brian earlier and know of his Thur plan but I'll be skiing with my wife then. He said he might go out Sat as well which is when I hope to hook up with people.

Looking on the bright side - first few days are going to be clear so I should get some good views, I can get ideas of where I'd like to go skiing next time I visit, it still will be an interesting adventure having never been to Smithers before. Plus the few people I've talked with have all been very friendly and helpful - love small towns! So despite the epic snowfall everywhere else I will have a great time I'm sure. And as I spent nearly 3 weeks over the Xmas break in Nelson and skied nearly every day in deep light pow, it's been a good year.

So Smithers here I come! :)