Ski Sizing

Dec. 26, 2007, 1:30 p.m.

Wow.. I haven't posted on here in forever, ha
I was wondering if you guys could help me with the length of skis I should be buying.. I want a nice twin tip for park riding, but still want the ability to ride powder with ease.. I am 180-185lbs and 6'2.. I had some Rossignal Scratches 163's, but I found them to be waaayy to short and narrow..
I'm not quite sure on what ski I want yet.. i was looking at these: http://www.lineskis.com/#/skis/freestyle/backcountry/sir_francis_bacon

Maybe you guys have some other recommendations on skis and some helpfull advice on sizing..
Thanks

Dec. 26, 2007, 3:15 p.m.

somewhere in the 180-190cm range should be about right

Dec. 26, 2007, 3:17 p.m.

THe Bacons are supposed to be great for the mix of styles you describe. It looks like it only comes in a 182 which would be good for you. I wouldn't go any shorter than that though.

Dec. 26, 2007, 6:06 p.m.

At 170lbs I would go for 180cm in a fat board BUT I don't know anything about park … except I am glad some people go there [HTML_REMOVED] stay there

Dec. 26, 2007, 9:25 p.m.

ok, bacons are really soft so if u want a stiff ski, bacons wouldnt be it, 190cm ninthward firstbloods would be good if u wanted a stiff ski, bacons ride fine in park there just a little heavier. there amazing for pow, so like i said, depending on the stiffness you want your skis bacons sound like they could be good for u

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Dec. 26, 2007, 10 p.m.

Armada ARV 185's

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:14 a.m.

At 6'2" you need something longer then 163, look over 180, and I ride the Bacons myself, a sweet ski for everything but ice, amazing in pow, I don't ride park so no comments on that, but they pop of rollers nicely, they have a 19m radius too and turn really easy with the elliptical sidecut. Have a look and the Line Anthem if you can find them, they have a butter zone and are 93mm under foot, but are only go to 178 in length, they are supposed to be a sweet park ski…..

mtbskierdad

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:28 a.m.

Thanks guys,
I will have a look today.. Thats kinda what I figured, deffinately over 180 should be good…
Im really liking the bacons, but they are a little pricey..
Let yeah know what happens!

Dec. 27, 2007, 12:46 p.m.

Thanks guys,
I will have a look today.. Thats kinda what I figured, deffinately over 180 should be good…
Im really liking the bacons, but they are a little pricey..
Let yeah know what happens!

heard they are hard to find too….

mtbskierdad

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:08 p.m.

I was taking a look at those Armada ARV's..
How long around do you want your ski to be in relation to your height?
I'm 190-191cm, but not many skis come in 190cm..
the ARV's longest ski is only 185cm
hopefully you guys can help me make a more educated decision! thanks bros

Dec. 28, 2007, 12:59 a.m.

I think these days anything over 180cm is good to go for the tallest of dudes, most skiis aren't made longer the 190 anymore, the width makes up for the lost surface area. There are only a handful of skis over 190…..if you wanna go faster and be more stable at higher speeds in all conditions find something longer and stiffer, if ya wanna play in both worlds of park and big mountain find something in between, the Rossignol Scratch/Bandit series is a good place to start for a general sense of what most companies offer….

mtbskierdad

Dec. 28, 2007, 8:12 a.m.

I am the same size but heavier. I ski on 188 for all mountain. You probably want something in the 180 to 185 range for the park.

Dec. 28, 2007, 8:38 a.m.

A ski doesnt really know how tall you are ,there are some advantages in terms of more leverage if you are taller but I would go with what the mfger recommends for your weight,longer or shorter depending on ability [HTML_REMOVED] where you wana mostly ski .The length thing was what they used a very long time ago

IMO its really about either being strong enough or having the weight to to decamber the ski when you jump on it to make the turn .Typiclly A ski in the 190cm range is going to need alot of weight or strength to turn ,might be ok on big open slopes but if you tree ski harder to make the turns

again I have no idea how the park thing plays in but I understand park skis are softer ,shorter and the optimum binding placement is different for park than pow?

Dec. 28, 2007, 11:08 p.m.

A ski doesnt really know how tall you are ,there are some advantages in terms of more leverage if you are taller but I would go with what the mfger recommends for your weight,longer or shorter depending on ability [HTML_REMOVED] where you wana mostly ski .The length thing was what they used a very long time ago

IMO its really about either being strong enough or having the weight to to decamber the ski when you jump on it to make the turn .Typiclly A ski in the 190cm range is going to need alot of weight or strength to turn ,might be ok on big open slopes but if you tree ski harder to make the turns

again I have no idea how the park thing plays in but I understand park skis are softer ,shorter and the optimum binding placement is different for park than pow?

Pretty much.

Long skis are overrated.

Some guys are just too into long skis and high dins. Last time I checked, this didn't make you a better skier, or any cooler.

Ski technology has gotten significantly better in the last 5-10 years, so there's no need for stupidly long skis anymore.

As for ski softness, this makes a HUGE difference, but if you're just starting out, a soft ski won't hurt. It's easier to move around anyways…

Dec. 31, 2007, 10:53 a.m.

I noticed the bacons are definitely one of the wider skis I have seen… I don't think I have seen another ski that compared even close in width.. Are there any?