Ski boot fitter

Oct. 6, 2015, 9:09 p.m.

kevin, who used to be at sure foot, is the man. he is now at fanatykco.

i had good luck at valhalla in van, can't remember the guys name though. as others have said, the key really is about getting the right shell for the shape of your foot. i went into valhalla set on getting some scarpas and got directed out of those into a less expensive dynafit because it worked better for my foot.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 6, 2015, 9:38 p.m.

+1 for Surefoot, they offered 20% off during Turkey weekend last year, first time going the full custom route as I had only gotten footbeds off them the previous 2 boots I bought from them. The whole foot scan and neutral position setup for the footbeds and foam liner works out to amazing feeling boots. All brands of boots offer different lasts, some are wide some are skinny, some are both, find right shell then liner it up….if you are skiing more then 30 days a year, custom is the way to go…

mtbskierdad

Oct. 6, 2015, 11:53 p.m.

haha, that's optimism. we bought the family passes @ cypress again this year - but only because they were 80% off. my hopes, they are not held high, however.

Yeah, we paid $62 for our family pass at seymour. Fingers crossed…

Oct. 7, 2015, 7:30 a.m.

.as others have said, the key really is about getting the right shell for the shape of your foot. i went into valhalla set on getting some scarpas and got directed out of those into a less expensive dynafit because it worked better for my foot.

either that or get the red ones ;)!

Oct. 7, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

Made the mistake of buying my last pair of ski boots at the turkey sale… I had just moved out here so didn't know any better at the time since they were the first pair of legit ski boots I bought. They fit me ok but still hurt often enough that it makes my average ski day not as enjoyable as it should be. Looking to spend the time and money now to get the right boots.

Which shops should I be focusing on for knowledgeable boot fitters? Brief Google search says Fanatyk in Whistler and Destination in North Van are solid options. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Also - how much should I be aiming to spend on boots in general? I want to get the right boots regardless of the price, but within reason. Also, are custom liners a good idea for the $$ or should a good boot fitter be able to find me something off the shelf that fits close to perfectly?

Best time to buy is now, every shop should swing you a deal on last years stock. Since last year was so epic…..

North Shore Ski and Sailboard is choice one for me.

Destination: If Jeff still runs the place and fits he has been at it for 30 years.

I fit a Salomon best, the last pair I had for 6 seasons was fit at Surefoot in Whistler, paid big bucks even with bro deal. Custom everything….

The current pair fit at North Shore ski is three seasons in with stock liners that mold to your feet. just as good, less money. If you don't have one a footbed is key, I have never tried the intuition liners but have heard nothing but good things.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 7, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

Yeah, we paid $62 for our family pass at seymour. Fingers crossed…

Where did you score this deal?

We were thinking of heading to the ski-show in a few weeks and buying the (one evening per week) deal at Grouse.

Also Destination in North Van or Urban Alpine in Squamish - both great fitters.

-Gord

Oct. 7, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

Where did you score this deal?

Seasons pass holders from last season got 88% off.

Oct. 18, 2015, 7:27 p.m.

Kevin at Fanatyk Co did my ski boots.
Have had Destination do liners in my ski boots in the past. Likely would've bought my boots from Destination but they stopped carrying Dalbello and still recommended the boot after they stopped carrying them.

Asian dude at Destination (Marty???) is who I've seen.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 19, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

Kevin at Fanatyk Co did my ski boots.
Have had Destination do liners in my ski boots in the past. Likely would've bought my boots from Destination but they stopped carrying Dalbello and still recommended the boot after they stopped carrying them.

kinda did the same thing, the Destination guy recommended Dalbello but didn't have it, a few months later bought them at Fanatyk

I think how it ends up is they both recommend the right boot for your foot even if they don't carry it

In effect they end up swapping customers back and forth which should all work out in the long run … everyone will be happy

Feb. 3, 2020, 2:06 p.m.

I am headed out to Colorado and am renting equipment. The company we are renting from will come to us and fit us with proper boots. Based on the questions they asked and answers I gave they have recommended the Nordica Speedmachine 110. Looks like a nice boot. Would like to know opinion on best size for them to bring based on my bare foot measurements. Any help you would give would be great. Right now they are thinking a 25.5 shell size and fitting from there, but the last on this boot is 100mm and my left foot is 103mm...without socks.

My foot measurements are (again, bare foot, tracing foot outline on paper and measuring):

Right Ft: Length - 25.4cm, Last - 100 mm, Arch Medium

Left Ft: Length - 25.5cm, Last 103mm, Arch Medium

My measurements would only be off, if at all, +/- 1mm. So.....what size should I try?

Interesting...I am right handed but my left foot is slightly bigger....especially in last.

Feb. 4, 2020, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: KM1

I am headed out to Colorado and am renting equipment. The company we are renting from will come to us and fit us with proper boots. Based on the questions they asked and answers I gave they have recommended the Nordica Speedmachine 110. Looks like a nice boot. Would like to know opinion on best size for them to bring based on my bare foot measurements. Any help you would give would be great. Right now they are thinking a 25.5 shell size and fitting from there, but the last on this boot is 100mm and my left foot is 103mm...without socks.

My foot measurements are (again, bare foot, tracing foot outline on paper and measuring):

Right Ft: Length - 25.4cm, Last - 100 mm, Arch Medium

Left Ft: Length - 25.5cm, Last 103mm, Arch Medium

My measurements would only be off, if at all, +/- 1mm. So.....what size should I try?

Interesting...I am right handed but my left foot is slightly bigger....especially in last.

Hate to be that guy but you should take your own boots. Renting could be a very bad result if they end up hurting. Most boots have a break in period. Are you bringing your foot bed insoles with you?

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Feb. 4, 2020, 8:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 6, 2020, 4:04 p.m.

How are they "fitting" rental boots? Are they actually going to punch shells, mold liners etc? I assume they are just giving you a stock boot to wear.

Feb. 6, 2020, 4:19 p.m.

i think that's a bot

Feb. 8, 2020, 9:19 p.m.

Spambot AI is getting ridiculously good.

Feb. 10, 2020, 1:33 p.m.

yeah it smelled like a bot,

so just a big BTW, If you fly somewhere to ski, just in case they lose your boots even if its only for as few days or possible fo eva ... don't check your boots

I could never find a boot to fit me when i got to wherever I was gona ski, also if they were lost forever the new  shells, new intuitions, new foot beds would cost  1200-1500 $ to replace