Ridiculous Line in Alaska

Feb. 8, 2007, 8:55 a.m.

bad movie or not, all i know is that it was pretty killer to see that kind of riding on the big screen.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

Feb. 8, 2007, 9:12 a.m.

i started boarding at about the same time ('86, actually). just crossed over from skiing when the 'extreme' stuff was the new cool thing and plake (best hawk ever? must require serious product to maintain its structural integrity) [HTML_REMOVED] schmidt were the big names. i rode at baker back then, which was the stomping grounds for a gaggle of talented guys (mbhc) - craig kelly, dan donnelly, carter turk, etc. pretty cool scene.

sanders had some rad euro style back then, huh? fluorescent w/ animal prints, hard boots [HTML_REMOVED] those horrible avalanche boards. speaking of which, i really should take a pic of the sweet neon jacket i saved from back in the day…

wow '86, I remember my first board was a Crazy Banana that I bought at the snowboard shop in Whistler. On my first run I carved hard and both bindings tore out of the top sheet. 16 bolts later my binding never tore out but my base looked like it had acne.

The other things that I remember about Sanders was that he owned Avalanche snowboards and that he married a Penthouse Pet, Brandy or Jizel (thanks wikipedia).

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

Feb. 8, 2007, 9:15 a.m.

Jonavan Moore and Scotty Newsome are two guys that KILL it in the big hills. Shin Campos was one of my favorite rides to watch as well. so much awarness of what is going on a round him

here is a pic I dragged off the split board site of Jonavan Moore

That is freakin scary! I rode something like that (by accident) and it was only a fraction of that height. It was the most scared I have ever been on a snowboard.

Feb. 8, 2007, 11:08 a.m.

it's easy to talk smack about skillz till things go sidways on ya. ha.the ex team core members still rip it under the radar.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 8, 2007, 12:49 p.m.

Terje is god. I might be able to ski that but not with that kind of style. He makes it look easy

Feb. 8, 2007, 8:11 p.m.

I have to get a poster sized copy of that Jonavan Moore shot.

son of a stromatolite !

Feb. 8, 2007, 9:46 p.m.

This is another photo that scares the crap out of me. The video is here. When we were looking for the person to drop out of the helicopter for Fantastic Four a couple of years ago I phoned Mike and asked him about the drop. He was freaked and hurt his back on landing but he had enough presence of mind to snap the photo!

Mike Basich - Self Portrait
"The phattest Acid Drop of all time."

We wanted to give everyone a little background on this photo. Mikey B's been planning this for a while. He's been searching for just the right horseshoe shaped ridgeline. One that could make a self-portrait like this possible. He also wanted a landing zone that was steep, but not so steep that it wouldn't hold enough snow. He found the perfect location outside Haines, Alaska.

His original plan was to jump when the helicopter was about 50 feet above the ground. The wind was unpredictable the day this went off; leaving Mike more focused on spotting his landing, than checking his height. When he jumped, he instantly realized he was much higher than planned. Being the rock star that he is, he grabbed his rail and started snapping pictures with the remote in his other hand. Based on his landing spot we've estimated this jump to be 120 feet high. Snowboard UK, which published the shot on its cover, called it at 132 feet. You be the judge.

Mike landed this thing tail down and probably would have ridden it out had his speed not driven him into a hole. Nevertheless, he immediately dug himself out and rode away. One other thing, Mike said that when he jumped he could feel the air pressure coming off the blades actually pushing him down. This was more than gravity fed. Ya Mike, you sick !#@[HTML_REMOVED].

For those of you who find this photo hard to believe - check out Scott Sullivan's independent photo, of this same nutty moment, in the January issue (Photo Annual) of Snowboarder, or in Snowboarder's current poster book. Thanks Snowboarder for your independent testament to the fact that this photo is REAL and undoctored!

Feb. 8, 2007, 10:43 p.m.

There's a story of Scott Newsome in the new issue of Backcountry magazine. Haven't seen it yet but it's probably about him becoming the first snowboarder to get certified by ACMG. I think they ended up running a pic of mine in the article. and yes I knew they might.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Feb. 8, 2007, 10:58 p.m.

There's a story of Scott Newsome in the new issue of Backcountry magazine. Haven't seen it yet but it's probably about him becoming the first snowboarder to get certified by ACMG. I think they ended up running a pic of mine in the article. and yes I knew they might.

Back in 1992 I did the first decent of Mt Garabaldi on a snowboard. I climbed it with Jim Haberl where I received the finest compliment I have ever had. Once we summited and I took off my crampons and was fitting my plastic boots into my bindings he looked at me and said, " You're crazy". This from the only Canadian to ever climb K2. I was in heaven.

Scott Newsome phoned me today looking for representation.

Feb. 9, 2007, 7:53 a.m.

BombHole!

very cool shot and story.

Feb. 9, 2007, 7:59 a.m.

Back in 1992 I did the first decent of Mt Garabaldi on a snowboard. I climbed it with Jim Haberl where I received the finest compliment I have ever had. Once we summited and I took off my crampons and was fitting my plastic boots into my bindings he looked at me and said, " You're crazy". This from the only Canadian to ever climb K2. I was in heaven.

Really cool story rich.

I still have an eye on Siberian Express

Feb. 9, 2007, 10:17 a.m.

The funny thing is when I talked to Mike about the drop he really had no idea how high he was. He was looking down on a completely white surface with the heli rotors kicking up snow. I guess the others in the helicopter didn't know he was going to do this and the heli pilot said he nearly crashed he was laughing so hard at their expressions.

Feb. 10, 2007, 12:50 p.m.

That face and heli drop are off the charts fu@#ing Knargly….the heli drop seems impossible by any stretch of imagination.

WTF, Over?

Feb. 10, 2007, 1:43 p.m.

i thought craig kelly was the first schneeboarder to be certified mountain guide by the ACMG ?

that guy was good . . . . .

Feb. 10, 2007, 7:05 p.m.

KC passes his assistant guide, and was a couple weeks away from taking his full dealio ACMC test. as far as I know, which is not much, Newsome has only passed his assistant ACMG but has not taken the test for be a full guide yet. but what do I know?