Powder Highway / Interior

March 3, 2011, 9:43 p.m.

Going to be heading to the Interior for some snowboarding in the middle of this month. Plan on riding White Water for a few days, what other hills should I hit up on the way there and back?

PS Will hippies kidnap me in Nelson?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 3, 2011, 10:16 p.m.

Well obviously you've got to hit Red Mountain. Great terrain, but sometimes the snow quality isn't quite as good as whitewater. You could hit Manning Resort en route, but I've never been so I don't know what it's like there. I would say the best bet would be to get to the Nelson/Rossland area quickly and spend all your days there, hanging with the hippies. And go to Oso Negro Cafe on a weekday morning to see how many unemployed people there are in Nelson.

March 3, 2011, 10:18 p.m.

Big White, Red mountain, Whitewater and Revelstoke would be an epic loop

March 3, 2011, 10:27 p.m.

And go to Oso Negro Cafe on a weekday morning to see how many unemployed people there are in Nelson.

Planning on stopping in for some coffee there, but do you want me to actually count them?

March 3, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

Red , white water and kicking horse . revelstoke on the way home!
Oso Negro coffee stops in greenwood at the dead wood coffee shop . and then again with the stink hippies in Nelson.

to answer your question, No. the hippies can't kidnap you ……

unless people pick up hitchhikers with hostages!

March 4, 2011, 8:14 a.m.

Big White is pretty good. How many days do you plan to ride? Red and Whitewater could keep you happy for a while. Revelstoke and Fernie, if you don't mind driving a bit more. Also, check out Mt. Baldy, near Osoyoos. Honestly though, if conditions are good, I wouldn't leave Red or WW.

Also, if you have the $$$, there are plenty of cat operations around. You can get some good last minute deals on standby.

March 4, 2011, 8:53 a.m.

just hit up Whitewater for the coldsmoke powder fest, first time there and honestly could have kept me busy for a week. Amazing what those decrepit little chairs can offer for terrain. If your willing to do a bit of hiking to hit the slack country there is a ton of great stuff.

March 4, 2011, 9:58 a.m.

apex has been having a subtly epic season. small mountain, old school terrain, 0 crowds, constant pow.

March 4, 2011, 10:25 a.m.

Assuming you are heading out via the Crows Nest and back around via the Loops..

Apex - Mt. Baldy - Red - Wh2O - Golden - Revy - Whistler - home.

March 4, 2011, 10:27 a.m.

what are interior mountains like in late March? Still good and cold usally?

March 4, 2011, 10:38 a.m.

what are interior mountains like in late March? Still good and cold usally?

It depends on…wait for it…the weather.

March 4, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

Assuming you are heading out via the Crows Nest and back around via the Loops..

Apex - Mt. Baldy - Red - Wh2O - Golden - Revy - Whistler - home.

Not really sure which way I'm going, all I have for a concrete plan is I have to be in Nelson on the 20th.

March 4, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

It depends on…wait for it…the weather.

well, in the homeland, I can tell you that most ski hills are closed after March Break because they're slush cups.

How about BC?

March 4, 2011, 11:42 a.m.

well, in the homeland, I can tell you that most ski hills are closed after March Break because they're slush cups.

How about BC?

Jebus man how many years you been living here now?

Spots like Baldy and Apex might be affected IF it starts to warm up quickly, but the rest sit a bit higher so needs more warm.

Basically it's a crap shoot. Just like here watch the freezing levels and rain. It's still been cold and snowing so unless we get a massive pineapple express next week it should be good for another three to four weeks.

March 4, 2011, 12:27 p.m.

we've never skied interior late March. That used to be bike season.