People hit by other skiers/snowboarders on Whistler Blackcomb

March 12, 2013, 10:08 p.m.

A month or two ago someone posted a story about how their kid had been hit by someone else on the hill. (I looked for the thread but couldn't find it, anyone else find it?)

Seems like the media has picked up the story about people getting hit and injured.

Whistler accident that left Peter Ladner with broken bones ignites debate on safety of older skiers
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whistler+accident+that+left+Peter+Ladner+with+broken+bones/8086984/story.html

March 12, 2013, 10:22 p.m.

My wife was snowboarding towards Emerald and was taken out from behind by a woman skier who was likely in her upper 60's.

Ban seniors.

March 12, 2013, 10:31 p.m.

Is this the thread you're talking about?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=152235

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

March 12, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

…safety of older skiers

Why is this his fault for being old?

Ladner’s accident has ignited a public debate about the safety of older skiers and about the living-on-the-edge extreme sports ethos that is pervasive among skiers and snowboarders.

OMG! But you're so old! You can't ski! How dare you do something you enjoy, it's so extreeeeeem!

Seriously though, it's upsetting that the tone of the article is more about how old people should be giving up skiing because there's reckless young people on the hill, and less about changing the attitudes of said reckless young people.

Ride, don't slide.

March 13, 2013, 8:39 a.m.

OMG! But you're so old! You can't ski! How dare you do something you enjoy, it's so extreeeeeem!

Seriously though, it's upsetting that the tone of the article is more about how old people should be giving up skiing because there's reckless young people on the hill, and less about changing the attitudes of said reckless young people.

The article suggested that older skiers might reconsider skiing given the reckless attitudes of younger people.

Whistler Blackcomb’s safety manager Brian Leighton agreed that older skiers are increasingly concerned about being hit on the slopes by younger, more aggressive skiers.

The article is starting a conversation around safety and accountability. It's advising caution not telling old people to give up skiing.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 13, 2013, 9:49 a.m.

You never get the full story with these articles.

WB has ruined the fun for everyone by turning into a super resort that needs 15000 people a day to break even. Now the resort is so crowded you cant make turns without someone being near you, under you, sluffing their snow onto you.

Maybe i want to ride a little bit out of control every now and then. Whats wrong with that? Anywhere that isnt a slow zone is fair game, Maybe some slow signs at the start of the sapphire straight lines would be a good idea

March 13, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

Big resorts are crazy places and Whis is about as crazy as it gets, I think good skiers and bad skiers slow skiers fast skiers too many skiers cat tracks mixing them all together

Big White didn't seem like that I think the better skiers are on the steeper side and the beginners stay on the less steep

There are older skiers that many younger people can't keep up to …its about having the skills and being in shape

March 13, 2013, 11:20 a.m.

Is this the thread you're talking about?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=152235

Yup, that is the one. Searched and couldn't find it, wrong search terms I guess.

March 13, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

Hey, Skid. Has there been a significant increase in these type of incidents?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 13, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

That was the Vancouver Sun's title, not my words.

March 13, 2013, 1:15 p.m.

Ah the Vancouver Sun, some facts lost in a sea of hyperbole…

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 13, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

I'm guessing, but it seems like a lot of newspapers have headline writers who just skim the story, not actually read it.

March 13, 2013, 1:20 p.m.

the complete story of two experienced skiers having an accident in challenging terrain is not as exciting a youth hits venerable old politician though. But two broken legs, he must have really hit him hard get well soon Peter.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 13, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Mark Forsyth interviewed Brian Leighton and people phoned in on the CBC noon show apparently most people get hurt cuz they fall not from somebody hitting them

people get hit driving in their cars …same thing IMO

March 13, 2013, 5:07 p.m.

Did not read the article but I have heard from a few friend who were hit by people, the biggest problem is with this new better equipment average skiers can go way faster, and even though they think they are in control, they can't stop or control themselves when they need to. Kind of like the new driver driving his honda civic at mach 1 through traffic, he does not really know that his car can't be controlled or handled or stopped if something quick happens. The shitty part of this is that I know a few guys who have been hit and the person takes off…seriously who does that?

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona