Parking overnight Rogers Pass

Dec. 10, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

Read that in order to park overnight at the parking lot by the Wheeler Hut you have to be staying at either the Wheeler Hut or Asulkan Hut which of course are nearly impossible to get a spot in. We plan to camp in that area via tenting likely in March but no set date yet. Any idea about where someone can park close or in that lot overnight (multi-nights)? Unless ACC also maintains the parking area I don't understand why it isn't first come first served for spots at that parking lot (and it has to allow for daytime parking anyway so there must be space).

Only thought I had was to park at the station at the pass and hike 3-4km to the other parking lot but I'd rather not :)

Dec. 10, 2014, 5:13 p.m.

What are they going to do? Cancel your ski pass to Rogers Pass???

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 10, 2014, 5:55 p.m.

I'd assume ticket and tow the car

Dec. 10, 2014, 8:44 p.m.

Given the condition of the pass in the winter time, the last thing they seem to be worried about is dirtbags camping in the parking lot. I've gone up on a Friday night and twice had to use the shovel just to get parked at the Illecillewaet/Asulkan trailhead because of all the new snow, and they often don't get around to clearing it until Sunday afternoon. It's a big enough lot all right. I don't remember a system where they could put two and two together and figure out which vehicles do not belong to people staying at a hut.

Not sure what the deal is with tenting, are you talking about doing so right near the parking lot? Without the hotel and gas station, it's always a good idea to be prepared for highway closures.

Dec. 11, 2014, 12:08 a.m.

after the hotel/gas station closed they allowed overnight camping in the asulkan parking lot because there was no 24hr washroom at the centre. they now have chateau atco shitters up at the centre so overnight camping is up there now. I think its still free. if you were tenting in the asulkan/illi backcountry area I'd think you could just get an overnight camping permit much the same as bostock. that way they'd have your license plate # like people staying at wheeler or asulkan. they do check plates daily but if you're not in a camper or have a trailer I think itd be hard to distinguish whether your just skiing or camping I guess

Dec. 11, 2014, 8 a.m.

No we wouldn't camp in the parking lot - we'd head over to the Asulkan Hut area to camp (so bc camping). But we need to leave the vehicle in the parking lot over a couple of nights. Just the way the parks have on the website they state that you can overnight park only if you are staying at one of the huts. No where did it say we could get a bc overnight pass and leave cars in the parking lot except for the info station at the top of the pass (15 cars max, 1st come etc) but that looks to be 3-4km away from the trail to Asulkan area where we plan to ski.

Dec. 11, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

people use the shit bike method as well. leave your stuff at trail head and one person drives to the centre and park/leave the vehicle then coast down to asulkan on shit bike. stash the shit bike with shoes in a plastic bag in the trees. here's the # though to be sure 250-837-7536

Dec. 12, 2014, 7:02 p.m.

Got this from the visitors centre at Rogers Pass:

You may get an
overnight parking permit for the Asulkan parking lot if you plan to go
backcountry camping in unrestricted areas, however, there are certain rules
that apply such as being 5km away from the roads, and 1 km away from
buildings (i.e. Asulkan hut) . For this reason, backcountry campers need to
visit the Rogers pass Centre to get more information on where they can
camp, and obtain their wilderness pass and park pass, as well as, if need
be, their overnight parking pass for the Asulkan parking lot.

They said they'd work on making that clear in the website for the future.

Dec. 13, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

right on. sounds fair