NS Govt Announces World's Toughest Helmet Legislation

Dec. 6, 2011, 12:07 p.m.

The Nova Scotia Government announced new legislation that it will implement the world's toughest mandatory ski helmet law.

At the beginning of the 2012 - 2013 season helmet use will be mandatory for downhill skiers and snowboarders at the provinces three ski areas. Children AND ADULTS. People riding and skiing on other private or any public property will not be required to wear them.

Although the ski areas will have to post very clear and obvious signage they will not be responsible for enforcement which will apparently fall to the Department of Health [HTML_REMOVED] Wellness inspectors.

No compliance fines will cost $250.00 per offence.

It is only a matter of time before this type of legeslation trickles across Canada now.

Thoughts?

The complete breaking story can be found on my website;

http://www.somegoodadventure.com/snowsports/nova-scotia-government-to-unveil-worlds-strictest-ski-helmet-legislation/

http://bit.ly/rzaHzR

Dec. 6, 2011, 12:14 p.m.

Soo??? Is there a problem???

Personally, I wear my helmet whenever my skis are pointed downhill - front country / back-country it doesn't matter to me. Trees are actually harder than in the summer!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Dec. 6, 2011, 12:45 p.m.

I wear a helmet probably 99% of the time on the hill. When I tour out of the ski area though I will leave the helmet at home. It is too hot to tour in and I don't feel the need to wear one in the areas I typically tour on. I would hate to have to wear a helmet on those days just cause some law says I need to. Most of my friends wear helmets in area. Not all. We don't ski in the terrain park, but we do ski fast groomers and steep chutes. I worry more about collisions with others which is why I wear a helmet. I question how dangerous skiing without a helmet is? Is it really so dangerous that helmet laws have to be implemented? What are the statistics that are being relied upon to implement this law?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 6, 2011, 2:03 p.m.

I wear mine all the time, this law wont affect me a bit.

Dec. 6, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

Going over 30km and hour and hitting a tree, you will need a helmet 18 inches thick to protect your skull. While I agree, it's a great idea for kids who don't go that fast and are learning, the helmet argument has some flaws and helmet makers are making some serious bank.

Ever wonder how a certain ex-pro snow shredder/one time bike rider finances multiple trips to Mexico throughout the year?

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 6, 2011, 4 p.m.

makes a lot of sense for the east coast, snow is so wet there that it turns to ice in no time. Personnally i wear a helmet all the time even when touring

Dec. 6, 2011, 4:22 p.m.

Going over 30km and hour and hitting a tree, you will need a helmet 18 inches thick to protect your skull.

Where does that stat come from?

That seems very thick based on the helmets people are wearing while riding/racing motorcycles [HTML_REMOVED] racing cars in motorsports.

Dec. 6, 2011, 4:44 p.m.

It's too bad that massive head trauma doesn't also limit your sperm count. That way the folks that aren't smart enough to wear a helmet when necessary also wouldn't be pro-creating. Problem solved in a generation without limiting personal liberty.

iforonewelcome.com

Dec. 6, 2011, 5:09 p.m.

That stat is from ski-injury.com. The amount of people that wear helmets skiing is up about a million percent in the last decade (made that stat up) but there has been no decrease in head injuries. (didn't make that up). In fact more than half the people that died of head injuries in 2009 were wearing helmets. A helmet will not save you if your are hit at 100 miles an hour. The 18 inch stat was based on current ski helmet materials. I can't believe that all those rail and street guys don't sport a dome but to make helmets mandatory on an entire ski hill is knee jerk and draconian.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Dec. 6, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

I wear a helmet probably 99% of the time on the hill. When I tour out of the ski area though I will leave the helmet at home. It is too hot to tour in and I don't feel the need to wear one in the areas I typically tour on. I would hate to have to wear a helmet on those days just cause some law says I need to. Most of my friends wear helmets in area. Not all. We don't ski in the terrain park, but we do ski fast groomers and steep chutes. I worry more about collisions with others which is why I wear a helmet. I question how dangerous skiing without a helmet is? Is it really so dangerous that helmet laws have to be implemented? What are the statistics that are being relied upon to implement this law?

you could stick your helmet in your pack until you go back downhill….just sayin

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Dec. 6, 2011, 10:30 p.m.

When I used to take it big n skiis,I wore my dh bike helmet.

If this law,at the least,reduces concussions,I'm all for it.

Heck,most cape bretoner's should be wearing helmets in their day to day life as it is.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 6, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

you could stick your helmet in your pack until you go back downhill….just sayin

Must. Spread. Rep.

Dec. 7, 2011, 10:18 a.m.

Heck,most cape bretoner's should be wearing helmets in their day to day life as it is.

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

I can't rep you enough.

Dec. 7, 2011, 11:21 a.m.

That stat is from ski-injury.com. The amount of people that wear helmets skiing is up about a million percent in the last decade (made that stat up) but there has been no decrease in head injuries. (didn't make that up). In fact more than half the people that died of head injuries in 2009 were wearing helmets. A helmet will not save you if your are hit at 100 miles an hour. The 18 inch stat was based on current ski helmet materials. I can't believe that all those rail and street guys don't sport a dome but to make helmets mandatory on an entire ski hill is knee jerk and draconian.

Look at it this way. Wearing a helmet is not 100% going to stop injury. All it does is decreases the chances of injury.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 7, 2011, 12:44 p.m.

Look at it this way. Wearing a helmet is not 100% going to stop injury. All it does is decreases the chances of injury.

or severity of said injury.

iforonewelcome.com