Night XC at Cypress

Jan. 6, 2015, 8:58 p.m.

Has anyone tried XC skiing at Cypress?

The Cypress website mentions that some of the trails are lit for night skiing. Do you think there is enough light or should I bring my own headlamp? Are the unlit trails closed? Can you ski them if you have a suitable light? If so,any idea what a suitable light might be?

Jan. 6, 2015, 10:49 p.m.

The lights are bright enough you won't need your own lights. There is a decent selection of trails to ski on. I've never brought my own lights as I wasn't going to wander off the lit trails.

Jan. 7, 2015, 2:58 a.m.

unlit trails are closed, I don't believe Night Skiing is open yet either.. maybe for the 8th last i checked.

Jan. 7, 2015, 9:47 a.m.

I've had a pass for the last couple of years. The lit trails at night are plenty to go at. For adventure I'd rather tour up to Hollyburn or Seymour at night. Can be good and snow day on classic gear otherwise join the lycra clad roadies on skate gear.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Jan. 7, 2015, 1:36 p.m.

IME back in PG the area was 10km from downtown if it was cloudy there was more light which seemed to be reflected from the down town than if it was and absolutely clear night even if there is no moon. I used to blast along on skate ski trails with no headlamp ever at night cuz its flat and I was unlikely to hit anything but I tried to have good form so I was less likely to go down if I did hit something

Jan. 7, 2015, 8:58 p.m.

IME back in PG the area was 10km from downtown if it was cloudy there was more light which seemed to be reflected from the down town than if it was and absolutely clear night even if there is no moon. I used to blast along on skate ski trails with no headlamp ever at night cuz its flat and I was unlikely to hit anything but I tried to have good form so I was less likely to go down if I did hit something

quoted just because i visited PG once and went to this bar that was right in the downtown but it was never cloudy in the bar which was good cause they had a fog machine and i hit this chic after she mooned me in the fog and she went down with good form too.

ymmv

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 8, 2015, 7:02 a.m.

Yeah that^^ happened all the time but did you have a headlamp?

Jan. 8, 2015, 5:10 p.m.

Thank you for the replies. I did realize that the night skiing wasn't open yet. I thought I'd ask about the lighting in case I need to buying something. Then I'd be ready to go when it does open. I guess I also a little optimistic with the snow that was falling on Sunday when I was up tubing with my son.

Cheers.

Jan. 8, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

More than enough light for rip pin around on skate skis or classic skis and yes the unlite trails are closed! Great way to stay fit in the winter instead of riding or running in the rain, you can be rippin it up in the snow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQ1snHjer0

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Jan. 9, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Hi folks,

Cypress night nordic skiing is now open as of last night.
Conditions are pretty good despite the strange weather patterns.
http://cypressmountain.com/nordic-conditions

Go for it!

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Jan. 12, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

Cypress nordic conditions update as of Saturday afternoon… still usable for your workout but marginal in areas.
Words heard around trails included "cookies and cream" and "snirt"

Whistler Olympic Park on Sunday was pretty nice. Better coverage and reasonable selection of trails open.

Snow dances please!

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Jan. 12, 2015, 4:19 p.m.

Great way to stay fit in the winter instead of riding or running in the rain, you can be rippin it up in the snow!

What snow? :cry:

Jan. 12, 2015, 6:48 p.m.

Skied Callahan this morning and it was the worst grooming I have ever seen, in fact they did not groom, funny as Kim skied lost lake and it was done perfect. someone should tell the clowns running the callahan that a snowmobile towing a track setter does nothing on hard pack except distribute death cookies in the track for my buddy Steve to hit while classicing! No reason they should not be running the groomer, more than enough snow. Cypress does the most amazing job with what they have as well as lost lake without the help of some legacy kickback. Sad!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona