New Revy Resort -- Website Is Up

Dec. 24, 2007, 12:28 p.m.

some stats for you:

20 000 vertical feet of pow on Saturday. I quit at lunch because I was toasted.
32 000' on Sunday. I skiied a bit smarter and ate lots more.
Skinny and Jorge logged almost 70K feet over the weekend.
It takes 12 minutes to get up to the top from the base. That's 4700' in 12 minutes.
It takes about 30 minutes to get down.
There was deep pow all the way to the bottom.
Average depth was between 30 and 50cm of Selkirk goodness.
5 double ejections
1 treewell burial

2.5 hours from Westbank, or 2 hours from the international airport in Kelowna.
No passes to cross, just easy valley bottom driving. It's about as treachourous as Mt Seymour Parkway. Nowhere near as sketchy as the 99.

Even if you drive from Vancouver (6 hours), there's only one notable pass to cross. The 30km at the top of the Coq is rough, but other than that it's pretty easy driving. The other pass between Merrit and the 'Loops is nothing. The #1 is a bit slow through the Salmon Arm zone, and sometimes there's avalanche problems at 3 Valley Gap, but it's still a long stretch to call it "treacherous". Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass - those are the gnarly ones, but they're on the other side of Revy.

Saw quite a few hardcores from the city too. Chinner, Horror Show, Liz, Bartel, and a few more.

I see that I'll be spending a good deal of time up there in the future. Just wondering how I'm gonna find an extra half million to get a shack in town……

Not doubting the skiing would be amazing and yes Revy is a cool place. We'd be skiing the Pass A LOT more if it weren't for the drive.

Lee and I were going to go to Rogers Pass the last weekend but decided not to do the big drive in the snow.

The stretch between Salmon Arm and Revelstoke is a lot more treacherous then any section on the 99 even before they did any work on the road. It is often covered in snow, you can't see the center line ( thank GOD for rumble strips… ) or the shoulder line and the semi's coming up your ass at 90km/hr and coming at you is pretty stressful. The Coq is a walk in the park compared to that stretch.

All the other interior mountains have used the same marketing and they too are still waiting to become the next Whistler.

Good luck to them though! At least they were smart enough to make their seasons pass affordable.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 25, 2007, 11:10 p.m.

chalet bakery?? afraid its all about the modern now.

Dec. 26, 2007, 8:25 a.m.

No doubt the modern is good but i love the cream horns at Chalet

Dec. 26, 2007, 11:49 a.m.

http://www.biglines.com/blarticles/3760/Revel_in_the_Stoke_w._Opening_Day_Video

looks pretty fun to me, could be the next Utah with the quality of snow they recieve, anyone know how frequenct it snows in Revy?

mtbskierdad

Dec. 26, 2007, 12:02 p.m.

lots ,I imagine the beta is in their website,I often wondererd if they get a maritime thing going from the dam [HTML_REMOVED] the lakes?

Dec. 26, 2007, 12:09 p.m.

Not doubting the skiing would be amazing and yes Revy is a cool place. We'd be skiing the Pass A LOT more if it weren't for the drive.

Lee and I were going to go to Rogers Pass the last weekend but decided not to do the big drive in the snow.

The stretch between Salmon Arm and Revelstoke is a lot more treacherous then any section on the 99 even before they did any work on the road. It is often covered in snow, you can't see the center line ( thank GOD for rumble strips… ) or the shoulder line and the semi's coming up your ass at 90km/hr and coming at you is pretty stressful. The Coq is a walk in the park compared to that stretch.

All the other interior mountains have used the same marketing and they too are still waiting to become the next Whistler.

Good luck to them though! At least they were smart enough to make their seasons pass affordable.

You've been drinking too much eggnog Sharon.

That road is pretty easy. You're biased by the four hours you have to drive just to get to that part. It's not even close to being as gnar as the 99. It's pretty straight and wide, and it's four lanes for at least a third of it.

The speed limit is 90kmh to 100 kmh through there, so no kidding you've got a rig up yer butt. Try pushing the skinny pedal on the right a bit harder.

I don't think Revy thinks it's going to be the next Whistler. Revy is already REVY, and will have the biggest vertical drop in North America, with twice the annual snowfall of Whistler and only a fraction of the rain. But that's OK, the less of you that show up the better….

On a more serious tack, I would skip the Pass for a while anyway. The avvy conditions in the Interior are the worst they've been in ten years. The October snow has made for a rotten layer at the ground, and two different rain crusts with loads on 'em are just cohesive enough to prevent a widespread failure, so there's loaded guns everywhere just waiting for us dumb kids to point em at our heads. Check this one out…

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Dec. 26, 2007, 10:49 p.m.

1 death already due to an inbounds accident? Uh Oh..

Dec. 27, 2007, 8:20 a.m.

johnny - where was that? It looks remotely triggereD?

On a more serious tack, I would skip the Pass for a while anyway. The avvy conditions in the Interior are the worst they've been in ten years. The October snow has made for a rotten layer at the ground, and two different rain crusts with loads on 'em are just cohesive enough to prevent a widespread failure, so there's loaded guns everywhere just waiting for us dumb kids to point em at our heads. Check this one out…

Dec. 27, 2007, 8:48 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/12/26/skier-found.html

Dec. 27, 2007, 9:29 a.m.

http://www.biglines.com/blarticles/3760/Revel_in_the_Stoke_w._Opening_Day_Video

looks pretty fun to me, could be the next Utah with the quality of snow they recieve, anyone know how frequenct it snows in Revy?

Uh SLC has 4 great ski hills within a 30 minute drive from a major international airport. Add the stuff thats under an hour drive and the skiing is endless.

Revy's gunna be great, but it's nothing compared with the easy access of SLC.

:canada: :czech:

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:08 a.m.

I know all about SLC, I was commenting on the snow quality and frequency of snowfall that Revy gets. And thank god Revy won't be Utah, too many people and Mormons….

mtbskierdad

Dec. 27, 2007, 11:32 a.m.

We drove the Coc last Sat and it took 7.5 hours to get to Kamloops. Nice long time in the car. There was a jack knife at the snowshead, two accidents just before Hope and one about 10 minutes out of Kamloops.

On the way home yesterday, we watched an accident happen just before the toll booth, the car was playing ping pong between the snow bank and the concrete barrier on the opposite side of the highway, and then there was a pick up truck backwards into a snow bank being dug out.

I can image that this resort is going to be great and I would love to get out there but if this the traffic that people are going to have contend with, the idea of a weekend trip is going to evaporate. You will have to plan a nice long board/ski trip.

But then again that could be the allure of it. I would love to get up there but I don't think it is in the cards for timing this year.

They should open a bike park! (kidding… or am I?)

www.steedcycles.com

Dec. 27, 2007, 12:11 p.m.

There are trails on Mt. Mckenzie, I believe they are planning on developing a bike park.

Considering their season is Dec 22nd to April 6th they should be planning on summer attractions. - where is the golf course?

There is some great riding in Revy, there is great hiking and climbing in the area as well.

With the right kind of marketing, which I'm sure they'll be working on, the potential is there, as it has been for years.

7 hours to Kamloops… should have gone over the duffy… fewer cars…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 27, 2007, 4:57 p.m.

We drove the Coc last Sat and it took 7.5 hours to get to Kamloops. Nice long time in the car. There was a jack knife at the snowshead, two accidents just before Hope and one about 10 minutes out of Kamloops.

On the way home yesterday, we watched an accident happen just before the toll booth, the car was playing ping pong between the snow bank and the concrete barrier on the opposite side of the highway, and then there was a pick up truck backwards into a snow bank being dug out.

I can image that this resort is going to be great and I would love to get out there but if this the traffic that people are going to have contend with, the idea of a weekend trip is going to evaporate. You will have to plan a nice long board/ski trip.

But then again that could be the allure of it. I would love to get up there but I don't think it is in the cards for timing this year.

Bike park is in the works!

Dec. 28, 2007, 8:17 a.m.

My buddies made the drive from Calgary for opening weekend. They loved it, said it was one of teh best mountains they have skied. However the drive through the pass took nearly five hours, on top of the three just to get to Golden. Plus there are no less than 10 closer skiing options, all with good early season conditions.

I have to agree with Sharon that the viability of this hill is affected by the drive.