Its time to suffer

Feb. 23, 2015, 7:48 p.m.

http://extremeeverestchallenge.com/

Not sure who/how many are gona go for the solo effort but you don't need to cuz this is not a race its about participation its about challenging yourself AND its gona be a fun party

http://www.liveitloveit.org/

Also a good cause^^ last year with money raised we got 2 riders back to the mountains …nothing could be cooler in my mind

March 4, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

Cool event and good cause, wish I could make it this year. Put the hammer down.

March 5, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

http://extremeeverestchallenge.com/

Not sure who/how many are gona go for the solo effort but you don't need to cuz this is not a race its about participation its about challenging yourself AND its gona be a fun party

http://www.liveitloveit.org/

Also a good cause^^ last year with money raised we got 2 riders back to the mountains …nothing could be cooler in my mind

I'm trying my hardest to get up there this year. Logistics are tough with work and travel, but I'm hoping to make it happen!

March 5, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

The solo gig was a year of training, 5 days of taper, 2 days of suffering, a week to recover (my foot never really did) which is all just too much commitment, too much pain, so this year I'm on team has-been … buy me a beer and I'll tell you about when I was a contenda

But Dynasplit did 9 or 10 laps last year and I hear he is eager to challenge himself?

edit: Cool! I hope you trained hard Chris

I am hearing the field may be bigger this year due to increased advertising in BC type ski shops and there is no fucking snow anywhere else to distract skiers

I think lee blogged the north pretty good during that big pow cycle which might put the north more on people's radar?

March 6, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

Heard about this event when I was up at Hudson over NYE. Sounds challenging to say the least. Good luck boys.

March 6, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

Im thinking more along the lines of heckling and going for 18 beers in 18 hours.

wish me luck!

Pastor of Muppets

March 9, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

The solo gig was a year of training, 5 days of taper, 2 days of suffering, a week to recover (my foot never really did) which is all just too much commitment, too much pain, so this year I'm on team has-been … buy me a beer and I'll tell you about when I was a contenda

But Dynasplit did 9 or 10 laps last year and I hear he is eager to challenge himself?

edit: Cool! I hope you trained hard Chris

I am hearing the field may be bigger this year due to increased advertising in BC type ski shops and there is no fucking snow anywhere else to distract skiers

I think lee blogged the north pretty good during that big pow cycle which might put the north more on people's radar?

There hasn't been any snow, so I haven't had a ton of real-world training, but I did 2 ~12 hour touring days this season, and felt pretty good during/after. Actually, that's a lie.

Last year I managed 10, so 8 more should be a breeze…no?

Hopefully maybe possibly be the first splitter to attempt it solo…no one else better try it :/

March 11, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

well the 2nd person to do 18 was a local 20something xc ski racer, she got off the plane from a bike tour in patagonnia and 2 days later knocked off the 18 laps, having said that about 1/2 the people who attempt 18 laps don't make it which only makes the extreme Everest challenge a more worthy challenge so … fuck nose eh?

2013 Justin the lifty AKA "Juice" tried for 18 on the split and made it to about 12 before he was claimed by fatigue /blisters/ whatever

Apparently there is already a bunch of people signed up, way more than this time last year and there are 16 people going solo …there will be lots of suffering come saturday night!

and next week HBM hosts the Canadian ski cross Championships cuz nobody else has any snow, so I volied for the whole week … should be fun

March 11, 2015, 11:14 p.m.

you mean yesturday in Big Simpsons on "the hourglass" just outside of HBM?

It was actualy a broken rib, morphine and tequila, the rib will heal the morphine is long gone and so is all the tequila

The report from a pro guide posted on FB: there was a skier triggered size 2 avalanche early yesterday afternoon in Big Simpsons, on the 7000' route, in the area known as the "hourglass". This was triggered from a bootpack, and was an isolated windslab that failed on the feb crust. 10-70cm deep x 50m wide x @ 150m long give or take, on a SE Alpine aspect, @ 6800' elev. One skier went for a ride, stayed on the surface , with minor injuries, but required a helicopter medivac. A rescue was initiated through friends and BV SAR.
Downflowing winds on Monday created pockets of windslab in unusual areas, and conditions are certainly changing. It's been a period of low hazard for some time, and the crust of febuary will be the one to watch now with new snowfalls.

March 12, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

I might have a pict

March 12, 2015, 6:28 p.m.

Saw the downdraft winds on monday…could have sworn there was a slide happening by the snow blowing down Simpsons.

Pastor of Muppets

March 13, 2015, 9:29 a.m.

Just snow blowing around TB the incident was tuesday after lunch, the ramp into Big Simpsons was scoured pretty clean but there was a localized pocket of windslab in the Hourglass, 8 people had booted straight up that route on the left side of the hour glass 2 weeks ago when stability was good but the wind had changed things

The 7000 is [HTML_REMOVED] meadow skipping but it is a popular route that gets done at least a few times a year, to my knowledge the hour glass has never gone with a skier in it so this event will bring much discussion on saturday night around the fire on how to get up it safer …I have always liked the right side

calling for snow on saturday definatley wana treat the skins for snow sticking, i had lots of buildup last year, Nik wax ski skin proof was the the shit … instant relief

How about that ski cross champion ship eh, I will probably be volying a fair amount if not the whole thing and you will have great seats

March 15, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

123 participants for the most sucessful challenge yet, we raised a lot of money for Live it!love it! it was good to run into old friends from past challenges and i think things were very well organized …no complaints

my crew was "Team has-been" we were pretty much a shit show from the word go and we concentrated on
partying as hard as we could, there was a 24hr DJ doing beats and a 4 am reading of "Into the Void" by Joe Simpson, not everybody realized there was a keg back there in the DJ booth. For team Has-been a high lite would have to be hitting the lazer light dance floor on skis (do people dance on skis?) followed by the team lap at midnight followed by ski down piste while firing off roman candles…truly degenerate

Dynasplit looked rather used by sunday morning and on his last 50 meters to the summit buddy was definatley in the hurt locker but we waited for him and drank beer while he got his 18 done, the common theme amongst solists … " never again!"

March 16, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

123 participants for the most sucessful challenge yet, we raised a lot of money for Live it!love it! it was good to run into old friends from past challenges and i think things were very well organized …no complaints

my crew was "Team has-been" we were pretty much a shit show from the word go and we concentrated on
partying as hard as we could, there was a 24hr DJ doing beats and a 4 am reading of "Into the Void" by Joe Simpson, not everybody realized there was a keg back there in the DJ booth. For team Has-been a high lite would have to be hitting the lazer light dance floor on skis (do people dance on skis?) followed by the team lap at midnight followed by ski down piste while firing off roman candles…truly degenerate

Dynasplit looked rather used by sunday morning and on his last 50 meters to the summit buddy was definatley in the hurt locker but we waited for him and drank beer while he got his 18 done, the common theme amongst solists … " never again!"

I was hurting something else. Lungs were not happy with me…think the cold air did a number on them, and I couldn't seem to get enough oxygen on each breath.

This year was awesome. So much stoke and awesome people doing awesome things (fireworks, dance party, book reading, beer). Now that I've done the challenge, I have no interest in doing it again solo. Think I need to sign up for "Team Has Been" and party next time.

March 16, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

the mind is a funny thing so 6 months down the road type 2 or even type 3 fun can morph back into type 1 fun, and the recommitment for another 18, IME you wana resist the temptation so think of it like throwing a prize fight …stay down

and welcome to the team has-been!

Localy you are known in some circles on FB as "hardboot chris"

morphed from skiing up hill to slip crew at the Canadian ski cross championships this AM which will be followed by the Shussboomer DH … 8 days 3 events