Import duties etc on ski boots

Jan. 17, 2022, 12:47 p.m.

Anyone had to? Boots were worth 632USD postal notice wants another 250cdn.!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 17, 2022, 2:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: i can spell
Jan. 17, 2022, 2:36 p.m.

Never bought boots online. That's steep, yokes

Jan. 17, 2022, 2:44 p.m.

From what I can find, it looks like ski boots should be duty free.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2018/01-99/ch64-2018-eng.pdf

You are looking at ~$100 in just GST/PST, not sure where the other $150 is coming from. Where did you order them from? Sound to me like there is a big brokerage charge, and likely isnt duty.

Jan. 17, 2022, 2:54 p.m.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2022/html/00/ch64-eng.html

Looks like 20% import duties on ski boots from US.

US$ 632 ~= C$790

5% GST = C$39.50

7% PST = C$55.30

20% duties = C$158

Adds up to ~C$252 so sounds about right.

Jan. 17, 2022, 2:57 p.m.

Lol. As you can see, a quick google search can bring up different results. Shoreboy may have found a more accurate link. In my experience the border people do the same google search so it's likely your package may have been miscategorized. If so, you can submit a form with a printout from your invoice or other evidence and they'll send you a refund cheque. I've done it for bike parts miscategorized as motorbike parts.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Jan. 17, 2022, 3:05 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2022, 3:06 p.m.

So, these Scarpa's came from Utah I had found shoreboys link which states no duty and niels link says .....

6402.12.00 00 Other footwear with outer soles and uppers of rubber or plastics. - Sports footwear: - Ski-boots, cross-country ski footwear and snowboard boots PAR Free AUT, NZT, LDCT, GPT, UST, MXT, CIAT, CT, CRT, IT, NT, SLT, PT, COLT, JT, PAT, HNT, KRT, CEUT, UAT, CPTPT: Free

That's on page three, where do you see 20% niel?

And wow thanks instant knowledge you guys!

ok just saw niels last post - whoa the interwebs wonder if postal outlet has forms...meh.

hope I can get these formed and punched while there's still something slippery to slide on...lol...

aside, there's no tele boots in Van unless you want NTN and have small feet and want a TX pro

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 17, 2022, 3:15 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2022, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, these Scarpa's came from Utah I had found shoreboys link which states no duty and niels link says .....

6402.12.00 00 Other footwear with outer soles and uppers of rubber or plastics. - Sports footwear: - Ski-boots, cross-country ski footwear and snowboard boots PAR Free AUT, NZT, LDCT, GPT, UST, MXT, CIAT, CT, CRT, IT, NT, SLT, PT, COLT, JT, PAT, HNT, KRT, CEUT, UAT, CPTPT: Free

That's on page three, where do you see 20% niel?

And wow thanks instant knowledge you guys!

ok just saw niels last post - whoa the interwebs wonder if postal outlet has forms...meh. 

hope I can get these formed and punched while there's still something slippery to slide on...lol...

I didn't look past page 1, sorry for creating confusion. When you filter on 'ski' it will give the relevant entries, looks like no duties indeed.

Pay the duties (if you haven't already), then download the refund form here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html

Fill the form, add the receipts and maybe the online store's webpage for the boots, send it in. Then wait a few months and you should get a cheque in the mail.

Jan. 17, 2022, 3:20 p.m.

Its possible that it is not duty at all, but brokerage. What service did you use? If it wasnt USPS (Canada Post), there is a good chance there is a brokerage fee.

Jan. 17, 2022, 4:36 p.m.

Duno if its the same but if A product like a plastic ski boot is not made in Canada ergo no compete with a Canadian mfger there is no duty to import it ?

a few years ago I got a very nice 67% off deal on some Dynafit Vulcans from a German site Sport Conrad and no hassles so it does definatly work

back in the day I bought T-1's from france, saved 20% vs MEC.ca cuz there was no duty on " plastic ski boots " SO ski bro  tried the exact same thing and got dinged cuz the seasonal help at telemarkpyrennees.com called plastic ski boots " XC ski shoes " or sft and it took him 6 months to dispute/ get the money back from rev can or CBSA or whatever they are

I think your mom was right when she said " use your words properly " cuz on a customs bill the words are very important and hopefully all the people processing your package get the words right

Alors, what could possibly go wrong eh ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 17, 2022, 4:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2022, 4:49 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I didn't look past page 1, sorry for creating confusion. When you filter on 'ski' it will give the relevant entries, looks like no duties indeed.

Pay the duties (if you haven't already), then download the refund form here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html

Fill the form, add the receipts and maybe the online store's webpage for the boots, send it in. Then wait a few months and you should get a cheque in the mail.

oh no worries and thanks for link, sb I sent it through the mail in an attempt to save money haha

xxx'er I read your 7 yr old import story on TGR earlier today haha x 2

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 17, 2022, 4:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 18, 2022, 2:10 p.m.

Yup. 'cause it was labeled as "telemark boots", not "telemark ski boots" they wacked me 17.5% duty for "shoes".

Jan. 18, 2022, 2:38 p.m.

Just goes to show how important it is for the shipper to be specific as to what the goods are. I recall having to pay duty on 'bike' parts before (because CBSA assumed they were motorbike parts). I always ask shippers to be sure to label them as 'bicycle' parts. The good news, is that you should be able to claim that duty back when you can prove that they were in fact ski boots and not just boots.

Jan. 18, 2022, 4:03 p.m.

The issue is that the vendors web page doesn't anywhere tag them directly as "ski" boots, just "telemark" boots so I've assembled a raft of pages including a pic of them from their web page alone with a pic from the interwebs that clearly shows a dude wearing them while skiing to send in along with form from above. Jeez............

I did phone Backcountry in Utah and explain the situation to a customer service person.  Think I'll e-mail them too.

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 18, 2022, 4:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 19, 2022, 7:49 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: [email protected]

Fill the form, add the receipts and maybe the online store's webpage for the boots, send it in. Then wait a few months and you should get a cheque in the mail.

oh no worries and thanks for link, sb I sent it through the mail in an attempt to save money haha

xxx'er I read your 7 yr old import story on TGR earlier today haha x 2

Not having a job I wank about on the internet quite a bit

has it been that long > I guess I havent really skied ( ACL ) in 2 years

It DOES seems very common for them euro's to call ski boots  " ski shoes " not sure whats going on there

Jan. 19, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

I bought a pair of Scarpa boots from Black Diamond in the US maybe 15 years ago. Big duty because the boots were made in Italy I was told. None in my size in Canada at the time and local shops could order but if they did not fit would not take them back.