Help me chose a 100-110mm all mountain ski

Feb. 20, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

Need some help choosing some new skis. Looking for something in the 100-110mm width range. I'm not an advanced skier by any means... only started seriously skiing as an adult after moving to BC and also have barely skied in the past 3 years due to having a toddler. Want to buy some new skis as some motivation to get back into it next year since our kid should be old enough to start ski lessons. I think I'm what you call an "intermediate" - I enjoy skiing primarily single black terrain in softer ungroomed snow and off piste but nothing too crazy. Focus on the harder terrain at Cypress and the single black terrain off the Peak, Harmony and 7th Heaven. I can get down all that stuff relatively confidentially but it is still challenging for me and I am not bombing down it with confidence like a more advanced skier would be able to. Looking for a ski that is forgiving and easy to ski that excels in single black off piste type terrain. Not looking to ride the craziest lines at mach speed and dropping big cliffs - just looking to have fun. All that being said... I won't be able to selectively choose powder days to ride and therefore, will probably still be spending the majority of time on standard groomed runs and will be using this ski as a 1 ski quiver. The priority is off piste but it still needs to be sufficient on groomed terrain. 

I haven't kept up to date with ski technology over the past few years, but I've done a bit of research and these look interesting to me:

- Rossignol Soul 7

- Salomon QST 106

- Line Sir Francis Bacon

- Armada ARV 106

- Atomic Backland 107

If anyone has any advice for me that would be much appreciated. Ideally I would go and demo a few but realistically I know I'm not going to be able to dedicate the time and effort to do that so I just need to pick one and go with it.

Feb. 20, 2020, 11:29 a.m.

I've skied soul 7 for a couple seasons, sir Francis bacon for a day, and qst 99 (not 106) for a couple seasons, those would all work well for what you described. Qst 99 has been a nice '1 ski quiver' for me (although I have more skis) I've just been using them as a default ski to grab for majority of days on the hill. Light easy to ski, I find them good for tight tricky spots, does struggle when going faster/charging stuff than a bigger ski but that doesn't sound like a priority to you. I'm about to head up with them right now actually.

Feb. 20, 2020, 12:01 p.m.

Have the QST 106- 188. They are a good all around ski but I find they are a bit soft for my liking.  You may want to try the QST 99 a way more agile/forgiving ski for what you described your level.

How tall are you? What do you weigh? If you are a big guy then the 106 but I wouldn't get the 188 in that it's a lot of ski in the chunder.

Feb. 20, 2020, 12:36 p.m.

I’m 5’11 and around 200 lbs. The QST 106 in 181 length is what I was thinking of going with.

Feb. 20, 2020, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I’m 5’11 and around 200 lbs. The QST 106 in 181 length is what I was thinking of going with.

Ya that would work great for you. I know the Salomon rep has a sample sale in mid April sometime. They have all those skis for super deals which were lightly used demos.

That's where I bought mine. I will post the date of the sale when I get the email here

Feb. 20, 2020, 1:13 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Ya that would work great for you. I know the Salomon rep has a sample sale in mid April sometime. They have all those skis for super deals which were lightly used demos.

That's where I bought mine. I will post the date of the sale when I get the email here

Awesome - thank you

Feb. 20, 2020, 1:21 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

I've skied soul 7 for a couple seasons, sir Francis bacon for a day, and qst 99 (not 106) for a couple seasons, those would all work well for what you described. Qst 99 has been a nice '1 ski quiver' for me (although I have more skis) I've just been using them as a default ski to grab for majority of days on the hill. Light easy to ski, I find them good for tight tricky spots, does struggle when going faster/charging stuff than a bigger ski but that doesn't sound like a priority to you. I'm about to head up with them right now actually.

Thanks for the info. Curious what you thought about the Sir Francis Bacon? Read a lot of good things about it. Sounds like a fun ski.

Feb. 21, 2020, 8:58 a.m.

i'm looking at the Voile hyper V8 (V6 is narrower) a very light skis , so popular they are sold out

if yer 200lbs I would go the next size up from 180 cm especialy if its a soft ski

edit: forgot to mention the Elan Rip stick in 96 and 106 widths, by all accounts a fun ski and they are on cheaper side while Voile are fucking expensive being made in the USA

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 21, 2020, 10:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 23, 2020, 10:48 p.m.

Mike D seems to be riding the QST 99 almost fullTime these days. ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

I have a 174 Bacon from yesteryear(108 underfoot). It’s so centred that it feels rather short. We put my GFs Line Sakana 174 up to my Bacon and she had about 6” more nose when measured toe piece to toe piece. 

Currently looking at new skis as well. Debating between the mid-90s and mid-100s widths  

I liked the Black Crows Camox 181.2orwhatevertheywere I rode in Japan. Might’ve been a little too big for myself but I was riding in rental boots. Haven’t been able to find the mid 170 model for a good price so far.

I’m looking at the Soul7; but concerned the 180 length will be too long, and 172 too short. If I get this I’ll mount Shifts to them  

Also the 4FRNT MSP99 and one of the JSkis models with alpine bindings. Either one of those in a mid 170s length oils be okay for myself. 

That is until I found out the Line Blade exists. The 174 is probably going to be a great inbounds/groomer ski for myself. As if it’s deep I’ll board. 

PS any local shops have the Line Blade 174 in stock? Lemme know. 

PPS I’ll sell my Bacons sans bindings if anyone wants.

Feb. 24, 2020, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Mike D seems to be riding the QST 99 almost fullTime these days. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ 

Currently looking at new skis as well. Debating between the mid-90s and mid-100s widths  

Realistically, the QST 99 would probably be a better choice for me vs. the QST 106 since (unfortunately) most of my ski days won't be on powder. That being said, I don't really value groomer performance and my main goal is to ski off piste with more confidence. 

The main reason I am looking at the mid 100's category is because right now I am on a 101 width and I would like more flotation in powder. Not sure if the lack of flotation on my current skis is because I weigh 200 lbs or because they are a 2009 model and therefore, a more traditional camber type skis (I think...?) and not the new rockered style (which the QST 99 are).

Feb. 24, 2020, 11:50 a.m.

Mike D seems to be riding the QST 99 almost fullTime these days. ¯(ツ)/¯ 

Realistically, the QST 99 would probably be a better choice for me vs. the QST 106 since (unfortunately) most of my ski days won't be on powder. That being said, I don't really value groomer performance and my main goal is to ski off piste with more confidence. 

The main reason I am looking at the mid 100's category is because right now I am on a 101 width and I would like more flotation in powder. Not sure if the lack of flotation on my current skis is because I weigh 200 lbs or because they are a 2009 model and therefore, a more traditional camber type skis (I think...?) and not the new rockered style (which the QST 99 are).

I have the QST 106- 188

If you go 106 - the 180's would be more than enough ski. Kinda wish I got the shorter ski, we are approx the same in Height and weight.

Feb. 24, 2020, 6:23 p.m.

Mike D seems to be riding the QST 99 almost fullTime these days. ¯(ツ)/¯ 

A lot has changed in a decade. See if you can demo some skis. Destination has a demo program. Unsure about North Shore S&B but they carry Rosi. I’ll say Sakana over Bacon since you probably won’t be riding switch. 

Man I really want the Blade.

Feb. 24, 2020, 6:59 p.m.

Nordica Enforcer? Lots of hype around that ski. Havent tried it myself.

As an aside, I have some 188 cm Salomon Rocker 115s with Look Pivot 14 binders I would like to sell should anyone in this thread be interested.

Last edited by: Mike.T on Feb. 24, 2020, 7:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 2, 2020, 12:50 p.m.

yup big changes in a decade and IME probably the biggest thing that made powder skiing easier is " early rise " so the shovel starts closer to the binding than it would have 10 yrs ago, In practice the  early rise is easier to control( makes for a shorter lever ?)  on whatever you are skiing over

so IME a 100-110mm ski with early rise/ some camber / flatter tail is ideal for the one ski quiver

Size wise at 160lb I find 185cm is my sweet spot, I do have softer 190's but they can be alot of ski to horse around when things are tight or I get tired,

also got twin tip banana's but they are more of a quiver ski

March 2, 2020, 6:32 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

yup big changes in a decade and IME probably the biggest thing that made powder skiing easier is " early rise " so the shovel starts closer to the binding than it would have 10 yrs ago, In practice the  early rise is easier to control( makes for a shorter lever ?)  on whatever you are skiing over

This is exactly why I am looking for new skis. I actually really like my current 10 year old skis in general (and am planning on keeping them as backups) but I need some help in powder/off piste conditions and I think the rocker tips are going to make a lot of difference. Hoping they inspire confidence.