Goretex jacket modification

Jan. 9, 2017, 1 p.m.

I have an Arcteryx Beta AR jacket - I really like it for everyday use and I have also been using it for skiing but it is a little bit too short so I usually feel a breeze between the top of my snowpants and the bottom of my jacket. Was thinking about slightly modifying the jacket so that I can attach the back of the jacket to the belt loop on my snowpants. The modification could be very basic - basically just like a belt loop on the inside of the jacket and then I could use something (like a small piece of fabric) to tie the loop on the jacket to the loop on the pants. I contacted Arcteryx but they said doing any modification to the jacket would void the warranty bla bla bla… So a few questions for you guys:

- is this a good or bad idea?
- do you think this would damage the jacket?
- is there a shop in the Vancouver area that does repairs on Goretex jackets that could likely install something like this for me?

Jan. 9, 2017, 1:27 p.m.

I have had the beta AR for [HTML_REMOVED] 15 yrs I think its designed as a more minimalist hip length alpine cut to fit around a climbing harness and I like it that way, its been good for a seakayaking jacket, so I think its a bad idea to modify the Beta becuz its just cut short for a reason

if you still wana do this you might call Arcterxy and see if they recommend a shop who could do this

I need a new Beta AR … the old one is getting pretty beat

Jan. 9, 2017, 2:30 p.m.

Have you tried using bib pants instead? The Beta AR is a pretty short fitting jacket to begin with but if you like the fit for riding then I would try using it with something like the Stinger pants.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=ca[HTML_REMOVED]language=en[HTML_REMOVED]gender=Mens[HTML_REMOVED]category=Pants[HTML_REMOVED]model=Stinger-Bib

Jan. 9, 2017, 2:44 p.m.

I'd be inclined to leave the jacket alone and add a bib your existing pants.

DCH Sewing [HTML_REMOVED] Repairs off of Welch a few blocks west of Pemberton. She'll take your idea/instruction for gear repairs and/or modifications and will improve up it. Quality work - no complaints.

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:29 p.m.

Have you tried using bib pants instead?

The funny thing is that I started out with (low quality) bib pants and first got the Beta AR jacket - so that combo was fine with the short jacket length. So then later I upgraded my pants to Arcteryx ones (Stinger, non-bib version) only to realize that it wasn't the best combo with the Beta AR jacket… so sort of kicking myself now for getting myself into this situation and trying to get a quick fix so I don't have to buy another jacket. I don't ski enough to warrant having a $600 jacket solely for skiing… that's why I ended up with the Beta AR in the first place - it is primarily for everyday use and occasionally used for skiing.

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:29 p.m.

I'd be inclined to leave the jacket alone and add a bib your existing pants.

DCH Sewing [HTML_REMOVED] Repairs off of Welch a few blocks west of Pemberton. She'll take your idea/instruction for gear repairs and/or modifications and will improve up it. Quality work - no complaints.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan. 9, 2017, 4:11 p.m.

are you lift skiing? IME I can ski lifts in practicaly anything as long as it keeps me warm

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-736/Steepside-Jacket

so I bought a new MEC lift skiing jacket 40% off for only 159$

touring is different and I go all soft shell

Jan. 9, 2017, 4:38 p.m.

are you lift skiing? IME I can ski lifts in practicaly anything as long as it keeps me warm

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-736/Steepside-Jacket

so I bought a new MEC lift skiing jacket 40% off for only 159$

touring is different and I go all soft shell

Good point - yes, only lift skiing. I definitely don't need a high end goretex shell, I just like the waterproofness and already have the Beta AR jacket for everyday use so figured might as well use it for skiing too. Probably better to get a relatively inexpensive ski jacket rather than potentially ruining a $700 jacket (man those things are expensive! I got a deal on it). MEC one looks like a great option - thanks for sending.

Jan. 9, 2017, 4:54 p.m.

I havent got it yet but that^^ jacket is some kind of water proof breathable laminate but its not gortex so its cheaper

I actualy don't use my beta up here in winter cuz its usually cold and dry, so I got an old MEC gortex lightloft parka that I figure its time to upgrade

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:45 p.m.

You could consider Taiga if you want to get back into a pair of bibs. It cost like a hun or so less they're perfectly fine, if anything there's to many bells and whistles on them for me to figure out.
I too fat for the Arc'te-x "athletic cut", Taiga only ones that fit me.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 9, 2017, 8:18 p.m.

You could consider Taiga if you want to get back into a pair of bibs. It cost like a hun or so less they're perfectly fine, if anything there's to many bells and whistles on them for me to figure out.
I too fat for the Arc'te-x "athletic cut", Taiga only ones that fit me.

Taiga make some good shit I still have a pair of those bibs, I bought the avalanche bibs 30yrs ago and they are very well made, but I think they might want [HTML_REMOVED] a hundred bucks tho ?

Jan. 10, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

Taiga make some good shit I still have a pair of those bibs, I bought the avalanche bibs 30yrs ago and they are very well made, but I think they might want [HTML_REMOVED] a hundred bucks tho ?

lol..I meant a hun less +/- than what MEC was offering, I can only guess Arc'Ter-x would be north of even them.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 10, 2017, 4:42 p.m.

Dakine and FlyLow Gear have some nice looking bibs that aren't as break the bank worthy as others.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 10, 2017, 4:42 p.m.

lol..I meant a hun less +/- than what MEC was offering, I can only guess Arc'Ter-x would be north of even them.

MEC appear to have stopped making their Goretex pants which is a bummer because I just broke mine.

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:10 p.m.

That's because no one wears Goretex pants on "fast and light" social trips to the yoga studio.

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/expanded-vancouver-store-on-tap-for-fast-growing-mec-in-2017