getting started splitboarding

Nov. 20, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

Is there anyplace that rents splitboards in the lower mainland? I have some buddies that are interested in getting in to splitboarding and want to go out for a tour but don't want to invest A big chunk of change just to see if they like it.

Also wondering what people think about taking beginners out that haven't taken an avy course. I have told them that if they get splitboards that they also new to take an avy course, but until they try it I doubt any of them will.

Nov. 20, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

take them out to flute/oboe on a bluebird stable day, the snow will suck and youll only be meadow skipping but they will get the idea of the effort required.

Nov. 20, 2014, 3:26 p.m.

and you can rent in whistler at a few places.

Nov. 20, 2014, 4:58 p.m.

http://www.wreckboards.com/contact/

Google is your friend, anyway there will be two parts to this for practice touring the winter route from hollyburn will work or howe sound crest (you will need to put the skins on to get back) or Paul ridge or Zoa peak. They will need to learn how to use a beacon this can be done as part of the tour. Avy course can follow later. The BCMC will likely run a complete beginners touring day trip or two during the winter. The objective here is to put ski's / board on tour somewhere practice taking stuff on and off, do a beacon check and maybe get one run in. Rat's idea is good too they do need get an idea of the level of effort…

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 21, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

If you put in a reasonable up track skinning up is barely more than a walk in the park . If your buddies are used to mountain biking I'm sure they'll be fine..

Nov. 21, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

besides the fitness thing moving in the BC is a new skill to learn when to take gear off when to put it on and most of the gear that works for BC travel is not what I would use lift riding

Nov. 21, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

If you put in a reasonable up track skinning up is barely more than a walk in the park . If your buddies are used to mountain biking I'm sure they'll be fine..

Kind of depends on the individual. I have cruised by kids that were literally crawling up Flute. And that is walking with my skis on my shoulder, on a well groomed packed track. Renting and trying out Flute Oboe and maybe even to Cowboy ridge is a great idea though. Get a taste and see if it's something you want to do.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 21, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

just dont take them down Singing Pass on a snowboard. thats not alot of fun, climb out and go down flute back inbounds

Nov. 21, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

just dont take them down Singing Pass on a snowboard. thats not alot of fun, climb out and go down flute back inbounds

Singing pass, in the dark (headlamp optional), no food or water, on either sheet ice, or spring slush, after full day of touring is the best way to keep people out of the backcountry.
would still rather take it than tour back in bounds after a couple laps of fissile.

Nov. 21, 2014, 1:24 p.m.

I was always the reluctant tourer and it took me a good 10yrs to completely embrace and own 2 or 3 of every piece of touring gear