Garabaldi at Squamish (aka Brohm Ridge) - Sea to Sky getting another ski hill?

Jan. 29, 2016, 3:42 p.m.

Squamish ski hill gets environmental green light
http://www.vancouversun.com/squamish+hill+gets+environmental+green+light/11685796/story.html?__lsa=f531-bf86

(I recall this proposed ski hill has been discussed here before but I couldn't find the thread.)

Jan. 30, 2016, 3:37 a.m.

they should take a long long look at the state of mountain resorts in the alps. i think this winter will be the turning point for them, and they will all shift into looking at improving their summer income, else there will be no substainable growth with the more and more unpredictable winter conditions. xmas holidays were ruined this year, and the upcoming carnival holidays doesn't look that good either weather wise, so there's only the easter holidays left to make some dough…

Feb. 1, 2016, 7:36 a.m.

It has very little to do with skiing. its a real estate play, quality of the ski hill dost not matter

take dirt cheap crown land and turn it into 1 million dollar building lots

Feb. 1, 2016, 8:04 a.m.

Agreed, the Jumbo Glacier was the same thing, a real estate development project.

Feb. 1, 2016, 8:18 a.m.

Aqualni's are connected. my bet is that it happens.

Sad, I was up there yesterday, its a fantastic spot

Feb. 1, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

Ski hills are all about the RE, the ski buds i hung with in Niseko had considered buying a house around Moiwa but sez he was too late to cash in on RE as an investment, I wandered around in Hirafu and development is happening everywhere … lots of money from down under? Japan is sexy everybody wants to ski japan

Up here in smidders the 20 20 group bought HBM cheap, painted the chair, thru on some seatcushions, a new cable and laid out an assload of ski-in building lots i belive it was 80 lots including phase II, It might have gone somewhere given the heady possiblites of the time but we interrupt the dream to bring you the 2008 financial crisis spawned by the credit swap thing, credit drys up, FF 8 yrs and the 3 or 4 people up here with money have actualy built

BUT Vangroovy has had a hot RE market thru this whole time period and its just getting hotter, so is it all driven by Vangroovy RE ?

Feb. 1, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

Agreed, the Jumbo Glacier was the same thing, a real estate development project.

A building boom and proximity to Van will certainly add a lot more appeal to people priced out of Whistler and even the Lower Mainland. In theory. I wonder how many foreign buyers will jump in, especially if the 30%-40% discount on the C dollar trend continues.

they should take a long long look at the state of mountain resorts in the alps. i think this winter will be the turning point for them, and they will all shift into looking at improving their summer income

Whistler has been there, done that. 2.1 million visitors a year, 52% in the summer, 48% in the winter. With the dollar way down among many currencies, this year could be a banner year for International tourism.

Source:http://trade.whistler.com/about/stats/

Feb. 3, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

Whistler has been there, done that. 2.1 million visitors a year, 52% in the summer, 48% in the winter. With the dollar way down among many currencies, this year could be a banner year for International tourism.

Source:http://trade.whistler.com/about/stats/

I think they are going to have a massive winter revenue wise. Just anecdotal experience being up there every weekend, but it's freaking packed and so many WA plates compared to last year. Hotel rates are through the roof as well and I'm assuming it's due to low vacancy rates on the hotels. Summers just keep getting busier.

Curious to see if Garibaldi happens. Doesn't make sense for a ski resort but I'm guessing they have no trouble selling lots with the proximity to the lower mainland and Whistler's track record. At least I can understand that aspect versus Jumbo and Valemount in the middle of effing nowhere. Kicking Horse and Revelstoke are living examples of how these things don't meet their predicted scope (next Whistler) without a big population base nearby.

Don't forget about Hemlock as well.

Feb. 3, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

^This. WA and OR Edge Card pricing + exchange rate is ~$70 lift tickets.

Also the S2S needs more single occupancy vehicles on it! (I'm extremely guilty of this but I swap carbon credits by blowing smoke outta my ass on forums ;))

What golf course is planned for up there?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 3, 2016, 1:45 p.m.

^This. WA and OR Edge Card pricing + exchange rate is ~$70 lift tickets.

Also the S2S needs more single occupancy vehicles on it! (I'm extremely guilty of this but I swap carbon credits by blowing smoke outta my ass on forums ;))

What golf course is planned for up there?

Yeah, I hope they don't jack up WBP passes in May. If they do, I'll piss and moan but probably still pay up for a pass.

Golf is dying, if you believe the media (never had any interest myself)

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-death-of-golf-20150625

http://www.newser.com/story/203685/why-america-stopped-loving-golf.html

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/the-end-of-golf/

Feb. 3, 2016, 2:27 p.m.

didn't the province strip the golf course out of the proposal? overall this is just a bad 'resort' proposal built off inflated projections that takes advantage of a crappy all season resort policy from the province to get cheap land to build expensive real estate. I'm all for a legitimate resort proposal that would enhance our region for destination tourism, or increase the availability of quality snow sliding/etc, but this 'resort' proposal is barely better than being a regional ski area, definitely not a 'resort'.

Feb. 4, 2016, 6:47 a.m.

orginally they wanted to put two courses in one at cat lake and one at brohm.

that would suck balls. agian its not about golfing its about getting virtually free land and selling it as million dollar lots.

Feb. 4, 2016, 7:27 a.m.

pretty sure both of those were stripped out of the proposal..they were in originally, but pretty much everything proposed in the brohm/cat lake area has been removed, iirc.

Feb. 4, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

I flipped open the globe n mail awhile back and instead of a half page on page 3 showing 2 guys playing golf they were wearing lycra [HTML_REMOVED] riding road bikes, an old bigwhite acquaintance I ran ran into also told me golf IS dying in the okanagan … demographics have changed

The HBM guys up here wanted to include the peak of HBM for a bigger tenure so they could get more free land to sell more building lots

never mind that the area between the runs and peak is flat [HTML_REMOVED] wind blown and its almost never good skiing that high

Feb. 4, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

that would suck balls. agian its not about golfing its about getting virtually free land and selling it as million dollar lots.

from 2014 project description update…
https://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p404/1406933326500_5036fbc9b26a009ff253a1047e1b19958a7741c9e77fedaa3cf555fc3203e1eb.pdf

The deletion of the two golf courses and associated facilities formerly proposed to be
located on either side of Highway 99 will require adjustment of the phasing plan. The
planned commercial/retail centre, and potential cultural centre in partnership with the
Squamish Nation at the resort entrance from Highway 99 (Area 1) will be relocated to
the resort core area and village center with hotels and a variety of retail and commercial
uses and close links to residential areas.