G3 splitboard skins

Jan. 7, 2013, 6:32 p.m.

well 4 million vert from Andy is hard to argue with. I am sure I would be fine on any skins..and as I always say if you think I am lying just cause I am sponsored it says more about you than me…your not in this business for long if your a liar….never had a glue problem or skin problem ever….if I slide back once or twice it is not big deal and I don't blame it on the skins. If you want to complain about sliding back then try cross country skiing a 80km loppet and getting the wax wrong…we still don't complain, we just dig in and rip.

And if you think cause I get paid and free shit, i never have to worry about issues your wrong, just never had any on any equipment in 23 years, hope you get the issues sorted with your skins, the boyz at g3 are great guys easy to talk to but I think like anything more issues are caused by misuse, not reading instructions, or rushin to do stuff than bad gear, all of it is so good these days!

For example since the North face has put out their abs bag we have had a number of problems as they store the bag in store with no cartridge, but the handle in, which in an abs is a big no no, guys see the pack pull the handle and dry fire the bag which can damage the pin, some worker in a store did this, then actually sold it and the guy who bought it when test firing said it never went off…then we had to explain what had happened and we need the bag back to see if any internal parts are damaged..all of this because North Face has all their bags in the store and no one has done any research on them or bothered to learn…this is not the answer to every problem but a lot of things are misuse by store, misuse by customers, that is why instructions come with…

Skins are pretty easy, pull plastic wrap off, use skin tool, fold skins in thirds and at the end of the day dry them out..during the summer put mesh between skins and store in dry dark place..next season pull them out and use again…

I did not set out to diss G3 skins. I used tractor skins for 3 years with no issues.The Two sets of G3 skins I had this year were a nightmare. I have done some checking around on other forums(splitboard.com and snowboard.com) and have found that the G3 skins for splitboards have started to get a reputation for snow packing between the skin and the board.

I dont give a shit if I slip a few times or dont glide as fast as the guy in front of me. But If I pay almost 200 bucks for a set of skins they better at least stay solid on my board for one run. I dont care if someone has skinned 10 million miles with G3 skins with no problems.The bottom line is you rely on your skins to get you in and out of areas problem free. The fact that this is happening at all is laim and I hope they figure it out.

Yes they are good at replacing them but that does not help you when you are 20km out and your skin has 10 pounds of snow stuck under it.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Jan. 8, 2013, 5:52 p.m.

A good article on glue for your skins. http://www.earnyourturns.com/15220/backcountry-climbing-skin-review/

Jan. 9, 2013, 6:47 a.m.

won a set of g3 skins at splitfest. will report how they work for me

Jan. 9, 2013, 7:04 a.m.

The problem I see a lot of is bad climbing etiquette. Boot packers and snowshoers walking on skin track. This creates depressions in skin track so the whole skin is not in contact with the snow. Equals less traction. Boot packers and snowshoers get out of the skin track. My G3 skins work just fine.

Jan. 9, 2013, 8:58 a.m.

I saw a quick clip from Further with Jeremy Jones. Looked like he was using
G3 Alpinist skins.

Jan. 9, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

The problem I see a lot of is bad climbing etiquette. Boot packers and snowshoers walking on skin track. This creates depressions in skin track so the whole skin is not in contact with the snow. Equals less traction. Boot packers and snowshoers get out of the skin track. My G3 skins work just fine.

What about animal tracks? How do we contact them to let them know what they are doing is wrong. One of the best quotes I have heard on this subject is anyone arguing on either side of the snowshoe, vs. hiker, vs. skinning track debate is a wanker…if you can't ski in that track, make a new one, no one owns it…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Jan. 9, 2013, 11:53 a.m.

What about animal tracks? How do we contact them to let them know what they are doing is wrong. One of the best quotes I have heard on this subject is anyone arguing on either side of the snowshoe, vs. hiker, vs. skinning track debate is a wanker…if you can't ski in that track, make a new one, no one owns it…

That's news to me. Why would you destroy a nice skin track by tramping it down with your boots or snowshoes, walk beside it. I don't recall saying wrong the word I used was Etiquette. I guess your pretty much just flying up on your sled anyways eh Dave. I guess I'm just a wanker. Thanks Mr G3 spokesperson. You are the "Expert".

Jan. 9, 2013, 12:15 p.m.

anyone arguing on either side of the snowshoe, vs. hiker, vs. skinning track debate is a wanker…if you can't ski in that track, make a new one, no one owns it…

true. Or at least its certainly not worth arguing over.

sorry to let everyone down on the norona G3 dogpile

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 9, 2013, 12:34 p.m.

true. Or at least its certainly not worth arguing over.

sorry to let everyone down on the norona G3 dogpile

I was only trying to point out why skins slip. It's been my experience that a lot of the time it's cause the skin track is punched out by snowshoers and boot packers. Chill folks.

Jan. 9, 2013, 5:31 p.m.

A good article on glue for your skins. http://www.earnyourturns.com/15220/backcountry-climbing-skin-review/

Good artical, I find the dynafit skins kind of like like how buddy describes …less effort to get them apart

https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/

Check these guys out ^^ the prices look pretty good and I have heard good things about them

People walking in skin tracks never seem to for very long and have never bothered me, dog shit in the skin track bothers me more … mostly I just feel sorry for the poor bastard postholing it up the skin track

Jan. 9, 2013, 6:35 p.m.

Enjoying all the opinions here…. Keep it going! The only thing I ask is that you take the g3 athlete gang bang thing down…. I am not sure wear that fits in? Or what it has to do with anything….. Or if you feel it is relevent you can keep it. Have fun out there skiing and riding! What ever skins you choose, enjoy the journey, there is some beautiful places to explore!

Later skaters!

Jan. 10, 2013, 6:11 p.m.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/glue-renew-transfer

everybody realizes they can reglue^^ skins?

AND I don't see why you couldn't reglue a G3 skin with Ascension glue if you really got the hate on for G3 OR put acsension parts on a G3 skin or G3 parts on an ascension skin … check out the handy how to vid in the link

Jan. 10, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/glue-renew-transfer

everybody realizes they can reglue^^ skins?

AND I don't see why you couldn't reglue a G3 skin with Ascension glue if you really got the hate on for G3 OR put acsension parts on a G3 skin or G3 parts on an ascension skin … check out the handy how to vid in the link

This is NOT an old skin reglue issue. These were new never used skins.
There is a new unhappy customer thread started on splitboard.com for the same issues. I will keep peaple posted if I learn something new.

Dave Maybe you can talk to g3 about it and let us know whats up. Shit if I have seen it and heard of it from others than surly they have as well. It might have just been a bad batch of glue on a batch of skins.

For the record I have nothing against Dave or G3. I as a consumer am just putting out feelers to see how big of an issue it is.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Jan. 10, 2013, 8:55 p.m.

Well I Thot we were just talking about skins, different brands of skins the use of skins, getting dog shit on skins, going high, going low, going euro , I am not spancered by G3, I've never really considered myself much of an athelete more a person who does a few atheletic things with varying degrees of sucess and I have slagged Dave on numerous occasions

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=37653[HTML_REMOVED]start=45

there are guys in this thread ^^^ complaining about BD skins, my buddy sent back a set of dynafit skins last year, so IMO people complain about bad glue on just about every brand so it would appear they all get bad batches of glue, what the brand does about it is the key thing

what do you think G3 would tell dave if he bothered to ask and I wouldn't bother if I was dave … I would bet G3 will say this
http://www.genuineguidegear.com/service/g3-product-warranty

Jan. 10, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

This is NOT an old skin reglue issue. These were new never used skins.
There is a new unhappy customer thread started on splitboard.com for the same issues. I will keep peaple posted if I learn something new.

Dave Maybe you can talk to g3 about it and let us know whats up. Shit if I have seen it and heard of it from others than surly they have as well. It might have just been a bad batch of glue on a batch of skins.

For the record I have nothing against Dave or G3. I as a consumer am just putting out feelers to see how big of an issue it is.

I am sure they know if they are getting skins back, never had a problem and I am touring 2-3 days a week…your exactly right though if they are not working, take them back and if you have replaced them once, then as a consumer you move on…nothing bad about doing that, I just never have had the issue you have. Hope you get it sorted…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona